Premed 101 Forums

SN2ed Summer 2012

t0ny

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking at the schedule and for EK Bio chapters Muscle/bone/skin and Populations, there are not many corresponding passages in the BR bio books. How do you guys plan to practice some of these topics? Perhaps the 1001 bio? Or will you guys be relying on the EK 30 minute exams?

From what I have heard, that is a low yield topic which means you should not bother learning it in too much depth. With TBR and EK, you should pretty much cover all your bases fairly well. SN2ed based his schedule also on spending more time on certain topics that have more "span" on the exam and so did the companies that produced the books.

Don't worry you should be fine :)

Hey this thread is a great idea - I plan on starting tomorrow and I'm writing on the 23rd of August. Did any of you do practice test #3/would it be advisable to do it just to see where I am? Gonna be taking one term of Orgo in summer too busy times ahead!

EDIT: What to do once you run out of EK 101 verbal passages? I don't have the TPR Hyperlearning ones so I'm at a dead-end here ...

I started today and it wasn't too bad, but I'm having trouble being especially motivated. It took me way longer than it needed to just because of a lack of focus.

As far as verbal material goes, I'm in the same position as you, Lexo - I actually thought I had the TPR workbook, but when I cracked it open today I realized it's actually just the strategy one. I'm planning to follow the schedule using all EK 101 passages, and then just see how confident (or not confident) I feel when I run out in a month or so.

On SN2ed schedule it says u can use either TBR or TPRH. So should really change much. Especially since verbal is so abstract

Hmm. So the TPRH books must be comparable in quality to the TBR ones. Can anyone comment on how good the 2 books are compared to one another? I might have to go with TPRH since the 12 business days wait would interfere with my ability to finish everything on time considering that I'm writing on August 10th, but I'm not making any quick decisions.

EDIT: yeah, def no way I'll be getting those TBR books in time. Damn. I even tried looking on kijiji and there's 0 people selling but like 5-6 people with "looking for/wanted" ads.

Also, t0ny, where does it say specifically that you can use either TBR or TPRH? I see it saying that you can do that for verbal, but it seems like you need the BR books no matter what:

If you're having a hard time finding the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, BR is an okay replacement. Well, there's not much of a choice left. Again, I HIGHLY recommend you hunt down the TPRH Verbal Workbook.

TPRH is a great choice for content review in all subjects, however, you still need the BR books and EK 101 Verbal for their practice passages. TPRH does not have enough practice passages, though the Workbooks are still great resources.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=866061&highlight=TBR+verbal

EK 101 > TPRH > BR (In terms of verbal)

BR books are very hard to come by in Canada. Especially during this time of year.

Hmm. What do you recommend I do about the books for the rest of the subjects then?

I wish I knew how much of a pain in the ass BR is to get. Woulda ordered earlier..

BR for Bio, Orgo, Physics and G-Chem.

It's not like getting BR will guarantee you a good score. Other books will get you a good score as well. However, the BR books get a lot praise because 1. They have a lot of practice passages, divided into different phases. 2. Good explanations 3. They offer a ton of "shortcuts" to narrow down answer choices, to improve your test taking skills. 4. Thorough and in-depth review of topics (albiet, someone with a extensive background with the subject probably won't need this). edit and 5. High resell value due to large demand.

Up to you but you can try other prep companies like Kaplan and Princeton. A lot of people got good scores with those books/courses.

BR for Bio, Orgo, Physics and G-Chem.

It's not like getting BR will guarantee you a good score. Other books will get you a good score as well. However, the BR books get a lot praise because 1. They have a lot of practice passages, divided into different phases. 2. Good explanations 3. They offer a ton of "shortcuts" to narrow down answer choices, to improve your test taking skills. 4. Thorough and in-depth review of topics (albiet, someone with a extensive background with the subject probably won't need this).

Up to you but you can try other prep companies like Kaplan and Princeton. A lot of people got good scores with those books/courses.

Yep, I'm gunna have to go with the other prep companies. I just don't know who. It's shame too since I heard a lot of good things about Berkeley and was looking forward to using their material. =\

Hey,

Just a quick q for those who are on this schedule as well. I don't want to exhaust my practise materials so if I am understanding this correctly by the end of the program you would have finished ALL of the BR passages? (for orgo,chem, bio and phys)? And you would have finished ALL of the verbal passages from EK 101 and TPRH? Or is it only a fraction of these?

Also, if I ship to a US address, how long can I expect the BR books to take?

Thanks!

:)

Hmm. So the TPRH books must be comparable in quality to the TBR ones. Can anyone comment on how good the 2 books are compared to one another? I might have to go with TPRH since the 12 business days wait would interfere with my ability to finish everything on time considering that I'm writing on August 10th' date=' but I'm not making any quick decisions.

EDIT: yeah, def no way I'll be getting those TBR books in time. Damn. I even tried looking on kijiji and there's 0 people selling but like 5-6 people with "looking for/wanted" ads.

Also, t0ny, where does it say specifically that you can use either TBR or TPRH? I see it saying that you can do that for verbal, but it seems like you need the BR books no matter what:

[i']If you're having a hard time finding the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, BR is an okay replacement. Well, there's not much of a choice left. Again, I HIGHLY recommend you hunt down the TPRH Verbal Workbook.

TPRH is a great choice for content review in all subjects, however, you still need the BR books and EK 101 Verbal for their practice passages. TPRH does not have enough practice passages, though the Workbooks are still great resources. [/i]

I meant it can be used interchangeably ONLY for Verbal, not for the rest. Sorry for the confusion

Hey,

Also, if I ship to a US address, how long can I expect the BR books to take?

Thanks!

:)

When I ordered mine, It took them about 1 and 3/4 weeks to receive my mail order, process it and ship it to my Uncle's in NY. I would HIGHLY SUGGEST calling them to get them to speed things up. When i called them, i made them find my order, then I asked if she could process the payment while im on the phone and get it ready to be shipped while i'm on the phone.

Plan that there will be at least a 2 week period from when u ship your order form to when it will arrive to your USA destination.

Archived