Premed 101 Forums

SN2ed Summer 2012

t0ny

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the days where we have to re-read all of the week's chapters and do EK 1001 are just not realistic to me.. also, i do 3 verbal passages at a time, and i've failed all of the sets so far except for 2 of them.. i am not sure how i haven't gave up yet, guess God doesn't want me to give up :)

also, are you all just going to stick to the AAMC FL's for the end of this schedule or are you adding any? if so, which are you adding?

Finsihed my second verbal test with 38/60 equates to an 8... my first test was only a bit worse 33/60 = 6 I just need to get one more right per passage on average to get that 10 ugh.

How long did you take between the two tests and what did you do in terms of practice?

the days where we have to re-read all of the week's chapters and do EK 1001 are just not realistic to me.. also, i do 3 verbal passages at a time, and i've failed all of the sets so far except for 2 of them.. i am not sure how i haven't gave up yet, guess God doesn't want me to give up :)

also, are you all just going to stick to the AAMC FL's for the end of this schedule or are you adding any? if so, which are you adding?

The review days have been a bust for me too.

It's biting me in the ass. I'm forgetting some stuff and I didn't get enough practice in for some of the previous concepts (especially organic).

What are you doing for verbal? And how long have you been at it? Something needs to be adjusted if you're consistently failing them.

How long did you take between the two tests and what did you do in terms of practice?

Well it's been on and off cause of school but around a week or two in between them? I'm thinking the lack of regular practice might be affecting my performance

The review days have been a bust for me too.

It's biting me in the ass. I'm forgetting some stuff and I didn't get enough practice in for some of the previous concepts (especially organic).

What are you doing for verbal? And how long have you been at it? Something needs to be adjusted if you're consistently failing them.

well, i've been following the EK strategy, trying my best not to go back to the passage while answering questions unless i absolutely have to. I've done 14 sets of 3 passages so far (42 passages total) so about 2 weeks worth. Also, it takes me about 28-30 minutes to complete a set of 3 which is too much time. I'm thinking that I just need to continue to work at it since I've never done anything like verbal before so I'm not used to it.

Force yourself to stop at 8 mins max, make a note when you pass the 7 min mark that time is about to be finished. How long does it take you to read the passage, it should take about 3-4mins with mapping/highlighting or whatever you do to know the main point and other info.

guys i'm extending my MCAT from august 23rd to september 7th.. i need more time its too much.. im about to go to a basketball tournament for 4 days, thats 4 days of NO studying whatsoever.. am i the only one thats not taking any notes at all? i'm literally just reading the chapters and doing the problems and stuff, not taking notes... :cool:

guys i'm extending my MCAT from august 23rd to september 7th.. i need more time its too much.. im about to go to a basketball tournament for 4 days, thats 4 days of NO studying whatsoever.. am i the only one thats not taking any notes at all? i'm literally just reading the chapters and doing the problems and stuff, not taking notes... :cool:

I'm just like you. I started to take notes for the first bit and then realised it was hindering my learning and wasting time.

I just watch a couple videos before reviewing the BR chapter, and then I go through my chemistry textbooks and reread the chapter in a different way, then do the BR passages. Working pretty well so far, and the retention is far better than taking notes that I will not even bother looking at.

I'm pondering following this schedule but replacing TBR books by TPR. I just don't have those TBR books and they seem to have the same characteristic from what I hear: in-depth explanations. Any thoughts on this?

If you look at the S2ned schedule he metions that TPR books can be used in place of BR. The only difference being that there is no concrete schedule in place for the TPR workbooks, you would have to create that yourself.

As long as you stick to a schedule that you make and work hard, I don't see why TPR wouldn't work well for you.

I'm just like you. I started to take notes for the first bit and then realised it was hindering my learning and wasting time.

I just watch a couple videos before reviewing the BR chapter, and then I go through my chemistry textbooks and reread the chapter in a different way, then do the BR passages. Working pretty well so far, and the retention is far better than taking notes that I will not even bother looking at.

wow that's really good, great way to get it all down pat, keep it up

Guys

Are you only reading the EK Bio chapter and then doing the passages in BR?

(and not reading the BR chapter and not doing the passages in EK?) or are you doing both?

I would read both personally. The EK chapter is so brief it just mentions "This is this, and this is that". The BR chapter goes in to a bit more depth, and if you have a decent background in physiology or cell biology it should be a pretty easy read for you.

I feel that EK simplifies things for me too much, but do what works best for you! If you feel you aren't understanding enough from reading EK then go to BR; if you feel that reading BR is a waste of time and is giving you no benefit then stick to doing EK and doing the BR passages.

Reading the EK book is great beacuse it tells you what is really vital to know and other things to gloss over; the BR book is great for a little extra background and mainly because of their great passages.

Thanks! Also, there re like 35 BR passages associated with each EK chapter, unlike the physics/chem which have only 10 per chapter, are we still splitting it into 3 parts? ie do 12 bio passages per day on the days we are suppose to do Bio?

I would read both personally. The EK chapter is so brief it just mentions "This is this, and this is that". The BR chapter goes in to a bit more depth, and if you have a decent background in physiology or cell biology it should be a pretty easy read for you.

I feel that EK simplifies things for me too much, but do what works best for you! If you feel you aren't understanding enough from reading EK then go to BR; if you feel that reading BR is a waste of time and is giving you no benefit then stick to doing EK and doing the BR passages.

Reading the EK book is great beacuse it tells you what is really vital to know and other things to gloss over; the BR book is agreat for a little extra background and mainly because of their great passages.

Personally, I started studying with the EK textbooks. I hated them all except verbal from the first chapter. Even if I have background knowledge in all the topics we need to study, I found EK's constant cutting-corners strategy really annoying. Firstly, because one can think of their own strategies of remembering things, picking the essentials, etc. The only advantage in EK is saving time reading less material, but in the end, because the material isn't explained in one united story, you spend more time memorizing one liners.

So I shifted to TPR (in replacement of TBR, which I don't have) and sort of follow the SNed schedule if only so that I don't take too many days off (failure already). The physics by TPR is a drastic improvement over EK. The Bio is much longer but nicer to read. I feel like I am learning something for real rather than crooking myself through a test. (One can tell that the author of TPR Bio loves her bio!)

I will end up using EK only for OChem, simply because I do not want to buy the Princeton one and have the EK already and have a BSc in Chem.

But my question, I cannot find this hyperlearning workbook SNed speaks of, is the Princeton Science Workbook the same? (I will use 101 Verbal for verbal practice.) This "Science Workbook" matches passages with the chapters in the books, so this is perfect, but the question is: are these good problems to work on?

I have heard the EK 1001 series is too easy for practice. What are the best sources for problems other than the AAMC tests (ie. before I get there)?

I'm on Day 6, doing the EK1001 questions, do you guys find that it corresponds well to the chapter 1 of BR? I find that there's quite a bit which hasn't been covered yet so I don't know if I should save the EK question until I read all the BR chapters first?

Also, it says first 1/3, and there are like 130 questions for each subject, are suppose to do 160 (40x4) questions in 1 day??? + reading+verbal? that's insane

Archived