Premed 101 Forums

SN2ed Summer 2012

t0ny

6:30 max eh. Nice. How long have you been practicing? And did you start off untimed or with a more higher time limit? Or did you always work with 6:30? I find a lot of the questions I get wrong are because I feel rushed towards the end of the time limit.

And the breakdown I posted was for VR.

Here's the science breakdown though:

5 question passage - 6.5-7 mins.

6 question passage - 8 mins.

7 question passage - 9-9.5 mins.

I started early May and I started out timed from the get-go, and usually take 3:00 max to read passage and then the rest to answer questions, but I never go back to the passage until the very end if I'm 50/50 on a question, but usually my gut is right. When I first started I was getting around 7:30-8:00. And I probably shouldn't say 6:30 max, more like around 6:30, give or take 10 seconds.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6:30 max eh. Nice. How long have you been practicing? And did you start off untimed or with a more higher time limit? Or did you always work with 6:30? I find a lot of the questions I get wrong are because I feel rushed towards the end of the time limit.

And the breakdown I posted was for VR.

Here's the science breakdown though:

5 question passage - 6.5-7 mins.

6 question passage - 8 mins.

7 question passage - 9-9.5 mins.

Most of the TBR passages have 7 questions but SN2ed says we should be doing 1 ques./min. How many questions are on the actual MCAT and how much time do we have for each section?

Also I found this pretty helpful. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-39366.html

TPR gives you "extra" time because they telly you to skip/guess the hardest passage giving you extra time on the others.

The times they have listed don't seem to be adjusted to accommodate their strategy.

There are 7 passages on the MCAT. If you spend 8 mins (on average) per passage, you'll finish with 4 minutes left to spare.

But I've also heard the passages are longer on the real thing. There doesn't seem to be a consensus as to whether this is due to larger font or the passages actually being longer.

The times they have listed don't seem to be adjusted to accommodate their strategy.

There are 7 passages on the MCAT. If you spend 8 mins (on average) per passage' date=' you'll finish with 4 minutes left to spare.

But I've also heard the passages are longer on the real thing. There doesn't seem to be a consensus as to whether this is due to larger font or the passages actually being longer.[/quote']

Yes, there are 7 passages however PR wants you to do 6 out of the 7 so you put in 9 mins or so for each then for the 7th passage just guess completely. You want to spend ideally 7 mins per passage going down to 6 according to SN2ED. Would I use the PR strategy...no

I'm also behind where I want to be. I'm in 2 spring classes and working part time among other things. I've come to realize I'm not going to be very productive until my classes finish up so I've modified the schedule accordingly. SN2ed wasn't joking when he said to focus solely on the schedule. Unfortunately that isn't realistic for a lot of people.

I'm also behind where I want to be. I'm in 2 spring classes and working part time among other things. I've come to realize I'm not going to be very productive until my classes finish up so I've modified the schedule accordingly. SN2ed wasn't joking when he said to focus solely on the schedule. Unfortunately that isn't realistic for a lot of people.

Tell me about it. Took me 4 days just to finish day1. I can't never seem to leave work as early as I plan to, something always comes up and even when I do, I'm so tired that it prolly takes me twice as long to understand/do the questions and read :(

Same here; although my scores haven't been as inconsistent (haven't bombed a passage in a while - 1-2/passage). I've done mostly TPRH and did the EK warmup a few days ago. I find TPRH focuses alot more on specific detail from the passage.

Ya I got destroyed when I tried using EK's method on TPRH. Once I adjusted my strategy for it, I settled in quite nicely. I'm a little skeptical about how well TPRH is really preparing me. It's great for timing and training yourself to read critically, but does it resemble the AAMC's, and more importantly, the MCAT?

Ugh this is terrible I'm still on day 12 or so I start the schedule May 1st.... I'm done school in 12 days so I'll have about 65 or so days to do around 78-80 days or work hopefully I can pull it off anyone have similar troubles?

There's not much wiggle room for content review. You may be able to save time by cutting the FL review days to 1 instead of 2. I'm going to try and compress it a little bit but we'll see what happens. There's also break days you could try to eliminate. Be careful though; it's a fine line between efficiency and burning out. The break days should be the last to go IMO.

Archived