Premed 101 Forums

When you get married, what career do you want your spouse to have?

ciel999

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I'm a girl and I imagine my future husband having a career in fields like accounting, architecture, finance, law, or something that requires at least a semi-rigorious undergraduate degree <-- This is because I like a man who is academically inclined. Oh yes, he has to be funny and confident! Confident men are so sexy!!

how about naturopathic doctors? :D

Model or waitress.

Haha just kidding, men who get married are fools.

The job a woman has is irrelevant, as long as she's not trashy. And hot.

yep and this is what i call good natural selection

unless...

you don't get married and have a baby

which i think is just irresponsible

He said "natural selection." Natural selection applies to organisms within a generation.

"Natural selection is the gradual, non-random process by which biological traits become either more or less common in a population as a function of differential reproduction of their bearers."

I could be wrong, but this ^^ implies more than one generation to me? I don't know for sure (I'm not a biologist and haven't studied this stuff before, or looked at it in depth in the recent past) but this quote was in line with what I remembered from high school. Any biologists here please feel free to correct me :)

"Natural selection is the gradual, non-random process by which biological traits become either more or less common in a population as a function of differential reproduction of their bearers."

I could be wrong, but this ^^ implies more than one generation to me? I don't know for sure (I'm not a biologist and haven't studied this stuff before, or looked at it in depth in the recent past) but this quote was in line with what I remembered from high school. Any biologists here please feel free to correct me :)

No that is exactly right - how did this go off the rails?

it makes sense to me,

if a gene or a multiple of genes is responsible for a personality trait that doesn't like the idea of marriage (and consequently having children, although not necessarily), or having children outside of marriage,

eventually (hence the gradual), the frequency of the genes responsible for that personality trait will decrease due to the differential reproduction of their bearers (individuals with those genes producing a personality trait)

fits the definition, no?

basically hypothetical genotypes which produce phenotypes that make one less likely to propagate in high numbers could be co-correlated with other genes/behaviors/phenotypes that ensure a higher percentage of my offspring survive... as well, you have to look at total genetic contribution to the gene pool, family counts too (nephews etc.)... i've taken god knows how many evolutionary psych classes... seriously, you're out to lunch...

i really don't think you realize the environments role in phenotype expression in a highly social society, as well as the potential punitive practices in place in the past to prevent this sort of thing (the whole virginity thing etc.) means cheating may pay off or may not... it depends on the individual situation...

in fact, social and cultural evolution over the last 80 thousand years are thought to be so important that mirror neurons are one postulated explanation for mankind's giants leap... as it brings cultural evolution into place (theory of mind... i took some classes proving chimpanzees were aware of their own existence... comparative cognition)... the whole stand on the shoulders of giants things... read michael tomasello... god... sometimes i can't believe how stupid some people who become physicians are, i feel like i should just make some cash, enjoy young money and go back to school at 40 when atom smasher retires (only some ;)... most of you are all really smart!)

basically hypothetical genotypes which produce phenotypes that make one less likely to propagate in high numbers could be co-correlated with other genes/behaviors/phenotypes that ensure a higher percentage of my offspring survive... as well, you have to look at total genetic contribution to the gene pool, family counts too (nephews etc.)... i've taken god knows how many evolutionary psych classes... seriously, you're out to lunch...

i really don't think you realize the environments role in phenotype expression in a highly social society, as well as the potential punitive practices in place in the past to prevent this sort of thing (the whole virginity thing etc.) means cheating may pay off or may not... it depends on the individual situation...

in fact, social and cultural evolution over the last 80 thousand years are thought to be so important that mirror neurons are one postulated explanation for mankind's giants leap... as it brings cultural evolution into place (theory of mind... i took some classes proving chimpanzees were aware of their own existence... comparative cognition)... the whole stand on the shoulders of giants things... read michael tomasello... god... sometimes i can't believe how stupid some people who become physicians are, i feel like i should just make some cash, enjoy young money and go back to school at 40 when atom smasher retires (only some ;)... most of you are all really smart!)

there are def times when i disagree with you about some things, and times that i don't read your whole posts cause theyre long and I'm busy n such,

but this was great! sometime over the break i think id actually love to have a legit chat with you about some stuff, just cool things that id like to have another interesting opinion on. pm me on like the 16th?

uhhh, yeah, for sure... lol, i wouldn't read most of my posts personally... and if i had normal life experiences i'd think i was an idiot too, lol... but whatever, i don't mind much, i'm really political with health care, so i come off a lot more abrasive on a forum which brings to the surface such issues a lot more than in real life... so yeah, i would hope people disagree with me, half the point if for me to generate though for stuff i'm legitimately writing, and if someone thinks twice about their opinion before dismissing me as an idiot even better, lol ;), cheers

there are def times when i disagree with you about some things, and times that i don't read your whole posts cause theyre long and I'm busy n such,

but this was great! sometime over the break i think id actually love to have a legit chat with you about some stuff, just cool things that id like to have another interesting opinion on. pm me on like the 16th?

well you know what they say,

the smart ones do research, the not as smart ones go into medicine,

in fact if you go to other parts of the world, this is how it is. Medicine is an applied science and it doesn't require one to be 'smart' or 'intelligent' in the traditional sense. Sure having amazing memorization skills is something but research on short-term memory tells otherwise (and it's more of a function of concentration + short-term memory + contextual memory + recall etc etc)

but yeah still, the smartest dudes become researchers (not a PhD/MSc student, but actual faculty with consistent research results) but the not-so-smart dudes go into medicine.

as a GP in practice for 4 years, I know what I prefer Not to have for my wife:

- most surgical specialities including low-risk maternity (day/night reversal, difficult hours)

- ER doc, ward RN (or any job that requires shift work)

- lawyer (challenging to argue against)

but of course, a wonderful personality (and certain other attributes) can reverse above prejudices : )

I prefer my wife to work in low-stress occupations (or conversely, have excellent stress-management skills).

I don't mind my wife working part-time as well.

Medicine and science are actually pretty similar, except for the fact that the public purse pays doctors a minimally excellent wage, despite their incompetence.

On the high end though, excellent doctors and scientists are in my mind, both brilliant. One reason I ***** so much about incompetancy isn't to suggest physicians are generally incompetence, but that like any other work, they should be payed according to their competency.

I have no reason to be bitter personally, minus medical incompetence to such a grave extent ruining two years of my life that I put hundreds of hours of work into delineating to imagine... say 10 variables from different disciplines all highly specific and coherent.

I also watched psychosis induced (treat bipolar with an ssri/snri initially and 25 percent of mania can be psychotic... if the poor person gets an antipsychotic which inhibits d1/d2 (which one is more responsible for positive symptoms... come on ;) ) you can induce a continious manic psychosis and when the person comes off the dopamine receptor upregulation makes for a false positive... long story short, i saw someone come just short of skin themselves alive with 4 personalities, and all sorts of fun, before the psychosis remitted instantaneously... sure is fun bringing someone with you everywhere for two weeks because the main personality threatens to make her kill herself if i leave... the worst part is all the reading ive done on did, confirms that the younger personas accusations were likely true... this is what you call a paradigm shift...

throw in no short term memory, and extreme visual processing deficits and all of a sudden, algorithmizing my motor patterns for speech mean i talk faster than think, and cluster information in a linguistic network, semantically, meaning those 1 second attentional blips are linked via a linguistic metanarrative since semantic associations eventually take over... basically... i bypassed my errant orbitofrontal, and retain information 3-4 times faster than conventional didactic learning or reading... i also link novel ideas because those random attentional bursts all of a sudden can be tied together...

funny part is there's papers on the neurobiology of this... i take 3 mg of clonazepam to effect my medial raphne via 5ht1a and increase 5ht2a receptor density on interneurons in v5 of my occipital... which synapse onto gaba... 3 mg clonazepam... i shouldn't be able to remember anything period... all that alpha5 subreceptor activitity on the gaba-a bzd allosteric site and the feedback habituation via NMDAr... good thing this is comming out... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%915IA .... seriously, i wish people knew how much they could change their brains, it's so ****ing mind boggling it blows me away

Thanks for clarifying that, some of my TAs make me loose hope for the future of science

Medicine and science are actually pretty similar, except for the fact that the public purse pays doctors a minimally excellent wage, despite their incompetence.

On the high end though, excellent doctors and scientists are in my mind, both brilliant. One reason I ***** so much about incompetancy isn't to suggest physicians are generally incompetence, but that like any other work, they should be payed according to their competency.

I have no reason to be bitter personally, minus medical incompetence to such a grave extent ruining two years of my life that I put hundreds of hours of work into delineating to imagine... say 10 variables from different disciplines all highly specific and coherent.

I also watched psychosis induced (treat bipolar with an ssri/snri initially and 25 percent of mania can be psychotic... if the poor person gets an antipsychotic which inhibits d1/d2 (which one is more responsible for positive symptoms... come on ;) ) you can induce a continious manic psychosis and when the person comes off the dopamine receptor upregulation makes for a false positive... long story short, i saw someone come just short of skin themselves alive with 4 personalities, and all sorts of fun, before the psychosis remitted instantaneously... sure is fun bringing someone with you everywhere for two weeks because the main personality threatens to make her kill herself if i leave... the worst part is all the reading ive done on did, confirms that the younger personas accusations were likely true... this is what you call a paradigm shift...

throw in no short term memory, and extreme visual processing deficits and all of a sudden, algorithmizing my motor patterns for speech mean i talk faster than think, and cluster information in a linguistic network, semantically, meaning those 1 second attentional blips are linked via a linguistic metanarrative since semantic associations eventually take over... basically... i bypassed my errant orbitofrontal, and retain information 3-4 times faster than conventional didactic learning or reading... i also link novel ideas because those random attentional bursts all of a sudden can be tied together...

funny part is there's papers on the neurobiology of this... i take 3 mg of clonazepam to effect my medial raphne via 5ht1a and increase 5ht2a receptor density on interneurons in v5 of my occipital... which synapse onto gaba... 3 mg clonazepam... i shouldn't be able to remember anything period... all that alpha5 subreceptor activitity on the gaba-a bzd allosteric site and the feedback habituation via NMDAr... good thing this is comming out... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%915IA .... seriously, i wish people knew how much they could change their brains, it's so ****ing mind boggling it blows me away

you know..

nurses should be paid according to competency,

same with other unionized jobs

Archived