Premed 101 Forums

When you get married, what career do you want your spouse to have?

ciel999

Indeed, the 90% who don't end up in ROAD have it pretty bad I hear.

Alright, let's think about this. Let's say you do your four year degree and get into med when you're 22. In four years you'll be 26. After you get in ROAD, 'cause I believe in you and all that, you'll be 31. By this time you'll probably be at least 150k/200k in debt 'cause of the fancy condo and hookers you'll spend your money on. You'll be able to pay this off in four years off your resident salary, oh wait can't forget about the condo and hookers. We'll say you pay your debt off in six years. By this time you're 37. You have 3 years to accumulate enough money to live off of for the next, oh say, 20 years because by then someone will realize how much money you have and kill you for it, because people do that. This is of course assuming you don't do any fellowships.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright, let's think about this. Let's say you do your four year degree and get into med when you're 22. In four years you'll be 26. After you get in ROAD, 'cause I believe in you and all that, you'll be 31. By this time you'll probably be at least 150k/200k in debt 'cause of the fancy condo and hookers you'll spend your money on. You'll be able to pay this off in four years off your resident salary, oh wait can't forget about the condo and hookers. We'll say you pay your debt off in six years. By this time you're 37. You have 3 years to accumulate enough money to live off of for the next, oh say, 20 years because by then someone will realize how much money you have and kill you for it, because people do that. This is of course assuming you don't do any fellowships.

Done school by 31. After tax, you're netting $250k ($400k gross). Debt paid by 32. $50k a year to live on. $200k invested per year. 200 x 8 years = $1.6M. Invested at 3% after tax, that's a return of about $50K a year from your invested $1.6M. That's more than enough to retire on bro. That's why I say retired by age 40.

If you're a doctor and you're using hookers, you have serious issues.

Done school by 31. After tax, you're netting $250k ($400k gross). Debt paid by 32. $50k a year to live on. $200k invested per year. 200 x 8 years = $1.6M. Invested at 3% after tax, that's a return of about $50K a year from your invested $1.6M. That's more than enough to retire on bro. That's why I say retired by age 40.

Yeah I added an extra five years, my bad. My point is that once you retire at that age your standard of living is not going to be drive sports cars/date supermodel rich, especially if your area has a high cost of living like downtown Toronto.

And sorry about the hookers, I must've gotten you mixed up with some other troll. You all look the same to me anyways.

i also watch khan's video to about renting and using ur cash to invest as opposed to buying a house.

nice calculations.

I wouldn't mind my wife working with me as an assistant (assuming I go into private practice).

I would never mix family and business. that is what ruined my extended family no way would i want to be bossing around my wife at work, and then come home with her. i must really really have alot of faith if i were to go into business with my wife, like we got along 100% and i had no doubt in my mind we can make it work.

To answer the question i would want my wife to have a career but not one she takes so seriously. i had this on ex who worked at starbucks and she thought it was like her life or something and would talk about it all the time... the career isn't that important it is more of her personality i would want her to have.

I would never mix family and business. that is what ruined my extended family no way would i want to be bossing around my wife at work, and then come home with her. i must really really have alot of faith if i were to go into business with my wife, like we got along 100% and i had no doubt in my mind we can make it work.

To answer the question i would want my wife to have a career but not one she takes so seriously. i had this on ex who worked at starbucks and she thought it was like her life or something and would talk about it all the time... the career isn't that important it is more of her personality i would want her to have.

Now that you mention it, you are probably right. It doesn't sound very appealing.

i'd be bored retiring at forty… then again, i highly doubt my future work will be boring since i like to be multi-dimensional… my goals playing rock am ring by 40… if rammstein can still headline at 40-50 and be total studs it's possible ;)

My point is that once you retire at that age your standard of living is not going to be drive sports cars/date supermodel rich, especially if your area has a high cost of living like downtown Toronto.

$50K to live on is solid long as you aren't living in a big city like Toronto. As for dating models, retired 40 year olds have plenty of time to work on their game :P

$50K to live on is solid long as you aren't living in a big city like Toronto. As for dating models, retired 40 year olds have plenty of time to work on their game :P

retiring at 40 would be sweet, maybe i would be a part time physician like i know some family docs do.

i think by 40 though i would prob be married though. i think in my 20s i will have to do all my dating and messing around....

• 3 months later...

Well I'm a girl and I imagine my future husband having a career in fields like accounting, architecture, finance, law, or something that requires at least a semi-rigorious undergraduate degree <-- This is because I like a man who is academically inclined. Oh yes, he has to be funny and confident! Confident men are so sexy!!

an environmental lawyer who sets the record for the biggest fine for offshore drilling us history

Well I'm a girl and I imagine my future husband having a career in fields like accounting, architecture, finance, law, or something that requires at least a semi-rigorious undergraduate degree <-- This is because I like a man who is academically inclined. Oh yes, he has to be funny and confident! Confident men are so sexy!!

Archived