Premed 101 Forums

When you get married, what career do you want your spouse to have?

ciel999

First of all, I think its sad that you think being a doctor is superior than anything else and that you think everyone else thinks so! I understand wanting both it from a equal hours type thing but being "superior"? How is being a doctor superior to being a great lawyer? Teacher? Entrepreneur? There are many, many professions that are respected and valued. Different jobs meet the communities needs in many ways. Heck, I respect anyone who WORKS for a living, whether they work at McDonalds, a call center, as a secretary or is a partner in a consulting firm.

Honestly, the more doctors I meet, the more I realize that they are no different from others in that there are some awesome one, some terrible ones and some real douchebags.

Lastly, I think its sad that you would expect your husband to "support himself" because you don't want to have to give him an "allowance"! I found that incredibly demeaning! My mother worked on and off, but mostly was a stay at home mom too, but NEVER, NEVER did she have an "allowance"! How embarrassing to be treated like a child. What kind of marriage would that be??

In my view, marriage is a partnership - there is no boss, no one who is the main decision maker. The money made is shared money. Responsibility is shared. Spending decisions are made together. It doesn't matter who earns more (or all), works more etc. In my family, we work together and we make a "combined family income" that we spend based on what we need as a family. Because I'm only working part time ATM, I'm doing more stuff around the house, cooking etc and my husband spends more time at work. When I was working full time and he was looking for a job, he did most of the house work, cooking etc. We each get our own "blow" money (which is about $150/mo) that we can spend on whatever we want for ourselves that might be considered frivolous. The rest of our income is budgeted for stuff like mortgage, utilities, savings etc.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

May I ask where most people have met their significant others?

I met my husband in school. He's a musician. I love that he does something completely different from me. I think I would go insane if the biggest thing that I had in common with my spouse was medicine. It's nice to get away from it all and have social circles outside of it.

He doesn't make a ton of money, but right now, HE's supporting ME. There has never been a power differential and I certainly don't expect there to be once I become a "superior" doctor.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Getting married and/or having children are the worst decisions a man can make.

Do you like sex?

Do you like hot women?

Do you like having money?

Do you like having freedom?

Do you like having spare time?

If not, get married and/or have kids.

oh honey, what makes you think you would get that when you are single :P

Do you like sex? Uh, my husband gets waaaayyy more sex than the average single guy cause, GASP, he sleeps with a woman (me) EVERY NIGHT. If you are single and not in a relationship you either a) have to wait to the weekend to pick up in a bar or B) pay for it...but then you "having money" and having "spare time" will be in jeopardy cause you'll have to work more to pay for it

Do you like hot women? Just cause you're single doesn't mean you'll get the "hot" women. Most of those actually look for a spouse. You'll be left with the rejects most likely.

Do you like having money? I guess rolling around in money is fun...though after you buy that (insert phallic replacement expensive car here) and get that 80" TV then what? Oh right, there won't be much leftover after you pay for the hookers.

Do you like having freedom? We live in Canada, we already have freedom.

Do you like having spare time? Spare time for what? Masturbating? Besides, you won't have much cause you'll have to work more to pay for the hookers.

This cracked me up.

Different jobs meet the communities needs in many ways. Heck, I respect anyone who WORKS for a living, whether they work at McDonalds, a call center, as a secretary or is a partner in a consulting firm.

I agree 100%. It doesn't matter what job a person has. As long as they actually do their job AND do it properly, I will give him/her my full respect. If the garbage man does his job properly, I still respect him.

I hate how people think some careers deserve more respect than others. That is total BS. A doctor can have all the prestige and respect he gets. But if he doesn't give a sh*t about his patients, and only cares about the money he's making off them, I will still think of him as a lowly sh*t-eating maggot.

And I know there are plenty of doctors out there who will sign prescriptions within a matter of seconds for their patients, without taking the time to asks them questions, or talking to them. These doctors just want to get the patients out of their face asap, by throwing prescriptions in their face and giving them what they want, and NOT what they need, like professional advice. The reason my uncle died is because of all the drugs he took from his doctor visits.

I completely agree with you.

My husband does not give me an 'allowance' - we have money for bills, money for savings, and anything left, we discuss the use of. Sometimes it is frivelled away on stuff he wants, sometimes on stuff I want, most often on stuff for the kids, but it is 'our' money, not his or my money. There have been times I was the higher earner, and times he was, and times where each of us has had no income (currently me.) We're a partnership, we support each other for the benefit of the family as a whole.

Same with my husband and I, except for the kids part! He always says that the money in our bank accounts is "our" money, even though I laugh about buying him a Christmas present with "his" money. But really, it is ours. :)

When we were both working, we had a joint account for all the household stuff that both of our paycheques went into. We also each had a smaller, personal account, for our own uses, mostly so the other spouse couldn't see where presents, etc. were bought when looking at the bank statements. ;) We still do the same these days, except a portion of his pay goes into my "personal" account - again, discretionary money for me to spend on him, myself, or the cats. Again, handy to have when you want to surprise your partner. But the bulk of our money is held in joint accounts.

Same with my husband and I, except for the kids part! He always says that the money in our bank accounts is "our" money, even though I laugh about buying him a Christmas present with "his" money. But really, it is ours. :)

When we were both working, we had a joint account for all the household stuff that both of our paycheques went into. We also each had a smaller, personal account, for our own uses, mostly so the other spouse couldn't see where presents, etc. were bought when looking at the bank statements. ;) We still do the same these days, except a portion of his pay goes into my "personal" account - again, discretionary money for me to spend on him, myself, or the cats. Again, handy to have when you want to surprise your partner. But the bulk of our money is held in joint accounts.

We do that too. We each have a free savings account tied to our joint account - I can't see his, he can't see mine.

This cracked me up.

Wow, I can't believe how naive you are. Your post is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. The fact that you seem to think that sex can only come from your wife, a bar slut, or a prostitute is downright hilarious. What a sheltered life you must have lived.

I'd love to go into more detail, but because you brought your own sex life into this, and there are a few married posters on this board, I will refrain from doing so. My analysis of marriage would crush you guys psychologically, and as much as I love to rant, I'm not going to endanger someone's mental health to do so.

I don't mind the specific career, but I do want a partner who is as driven and motivated as I am with their life, in whatever arena they have chosen.

Of course I can see the downside there because with two people like that in a relationship you risk both people being so caught up in separate careers that they have nothing left for each other.

Wow, I can't believe how naive you are. Your post is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. The fact that you seem to think that sex can only come from your wife, a bar slut, or a prostitute is downright hilarious. What a sheltered life you must have lived.

I'd love to go into more detail, but because you brought your own sex life into this, and there are a few married posters on this board, I will refrain from doing so. My analysis of marriage would crush you guys psychologically, and as much as I love to rant, I'm not going to endanger someone's mental health to do so.

Dude, that was my attempt at being funny. I guess it didn't come across as such. I apologize.

I'm hardly sheltered though, I'm 28, have lived all over the world and have seen and experienced plenty.

You can write whatever you want about marriage, I'm sure I'll be fine psychologically. I'm hardly one to get ruffled by someone writing stuff on the internet.:)

Well, I was born with my right hand.

hah, nice.

I just broke up but i went to high school with my most recent one.

Like conversation above i personally don't like bar girls, but that's just my opinion.

On topic, I don't remember who it was that said it but a wife with great ambition would be great. I wouldn't be able to deal with lazy "dead beat" kind of thing.

You seem to think that the married people here will actually give a crap about what you have to say to them.

You seem to think that the married people here will actually give a crap about what you have to say to them.

100% agreed... Atom smasher will be forever alone... work 100 hours a week and die at 40 from stress... can't stand people who are more committed to themselves than others.

Assuming I'm an MD, I'd want her to be an MD too, of a similar specialty. It wouldn't really be fair otherwise

Of all the professions, having a spouse who was an MD would be soo draining on the relationship.. unless you managed to fandangle hours you'd never see each other... and then you have to think of the children (if you plan on having some) how different life would have to be and make more professional exceptions..

hmmm... this is amusing

i like sex, every girl but one ive dated has been well, pretty ****ing hot, all very well, sexually adventurous.

many are well the, independent type, time isnt a problem, freedom, not really... i guess well, i tend to date the ummm, girls who r like those ravers, but have like the whole 150 iq thing... most have cluster b traits too, meaning i can make 200 k, and well, not be the breadwinner, ambitious smart girls are fun, throw in the cluster b, then you get experiences one night stands can't match (which i won't restate here because well, most people don't wanna hear about how professional, anti-establishmentarian, and ambitious girls sort of well, see a bird of the feather, and say, finally, someone whos not a p___y, theyre a lot of fun, much more than the 99.5 percent of ppl i talk to in everyday life.

then again, most don't want marriage, and prefer adoption, so you're kind of onto something, but this doesn't preclude long term monogamy by any means.

i tend to find i get along with extremely cerebral professionals, since they don't have the cognitive rigidity nor abide by the cultural restrictions of the profession, often since their aggression and superior abilities, plus drive tend to allow them to bypass the whole im an x, therefore this is me type thinking.

typically, law students and humanities students tend to grab my attention, but i tend to desire extreme confidence, and desire to transcend the boring lifestyle most people live (i just need hyperstimulation, sorry, 9-5 is rewarding to a ton, but i need constant travel, change, etc. and this only comes with certain ambitions and or job types).

Do you like sex?

Do you like hot women?

Do you like having money?

Do you like having freedom?

Do you like having spare time?

clin psychologists and lawyers tend to be ubiquitous for me, then again, with last post, only the uber ambitious ones, and not to impress anyone, i just have a hard time finding people who aren't intimidated by me, and i really hate always having to play lead in relationships, and there's something about humanities grads that go into prof fields that i find, tends to correlate with this personality, not sure why.

Clinical psychologist!

me and an ex used to go to sex parties, lol, we never partook all the way, but yeah, we kept it fresh, don't assume marriage or monogamist relationships are mutually exlusive with boring sex lives, in fact, I find with intensly close relationships you can try things most casual couples never feel comfortable mentioning to each other.

Archived