Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

cGPA - 3.90

Verbal - 13

I get that I'm competitive I was just wondering how important you guys think CASPER is in my situation. I feel like I would be bad at it.

well you don't have to guess as the scoring for it is provided - it is worth as much as either of the other sections. You are in excellent standing of course as far as those go. They would make up potentially for a lot but of course it would be even better to avoid having an problem to correct.

why do you feel you would do bad at it? :) Sometimes people get stressed out about it but really end up doing quite well.

Guest LeCreuset
gpa 3.5

vr 10

Wow I really thought I did better on vr than my other sections too :(

now uwo is out as well which I would have been competitive for...sigh so sad.

Last year 14 were accepted with a GPA lower than 3.59, maybe 29 interviewed.

Your GPA and VR are both below average for Mac but I don't think anyone can tell you whether or not a perfect CASPer will be your salvation. It's just not optimistic.

Hey everyone,

I have a 14VR and 3.4 uGPA (strong upward trend) going into CASPer. With a solid CASPer score am I still in the running?

I know uGPA is very below average but do the people admitted with sub 3.59 GPAs usually have high VR scores?

I would imagine so as VR,GPA and CASPer all have the same weighting now. Also Mac doesn't take into account your trend.

Also note that, I would at least imagine, that some of those "lower end applicants" are from the graduate pool/aboriginal pools. (Doesn't say anything about their VR compared to their cGPA but I imagine that those make up some of those VR=8 and <3.59 GPA)

I think it'd be very interesting to see the applicants information breakdown like they offer for their accepted applicants.

Hey everyone,

I have a 14VR and 3.4 uGPA (strong upward trend) going into CASPer. With a solid CASPer score am I still in the running?

I know uGPA is very below average but do the people admitted with sub 3.59 GPAs usually have high VR scores?

I'm in a similar boat as you. I have a slightly lower VR, 13, and a slightly higher cGPA, 3.6ish. I also have a strong upward trend (got a D and F in my first year! gah!) but another poster said that they won't care about the trend.

However, I'm OOP so I doubt I have much of a chance. I figure if I scored really well on CASper, I might have a bit of hope?

Guest LeCreuset
I'm in a similar boat as you. I have a slightly lower VR, 13, and a slightly higher cGPA, 3.6ish. I also have a strong upward trend (got a D and F in my first year! gah!) but another poster said that they won't care about the trend.

However, I'm OOP so I doubt I have much of a chance. I figure if I scored really well on CASper, I might have a bit of hope?

You do have hope. It's hard to guage for GPA as it's not a normal distribution it's heavily skewed to the right. Admitted statistics won't help because of that reason so we can't guess SD or median.

If you assume the GPA scores are normally distributed with a median of 16 for the median applicant you may get 10/32 or 3/32 depending on the SD while your verbal can be comfortably predicted as the 95th percentile. A good, near perfect Casper is essential for you.

• 2 months later...

Only in 2nd year, writing the MCAT this upcoming summer, but generally I've been ~85th percentile or so, maybe a bit higher in pretty much all of my classes. Got screwed in a couple classes last semester and had to work out first year quirks but as it stands my current cGPA is 3.5. I tend to do better in all of my toughest courses and poorest in the "easy ones" being electives that I don't really care for. Now that my program is picking up, I am expecting that I should be able to get a mix of 3.7s and 3.9s in pretty much every course from here on out. I apologize for the rambling.

Does McMaster have any alterations to GPA?

• 1 month later...
I am a Registered Nurse who has been working for a year.

My recent MCAT came back with a 10 in Verbal.

My cGPA is 3.5

Does anyone have any thoughts on my chances for next year?

thank you

Your verbal and gpa are both "average" for mac applicants. you need to kill casper in order to be invited for an interview.