Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

Question:

Im IP my GPA is 3.6 (with a strong upward trend 3.9 in 3rd and 4th year)

I currently have a 9 in VR (didn't prepare at all for my first test) and will be rewriting (practice scores indicate 11-13) I have a Master's of Clinical Science as a Pathologist's Assistant and am currently working as a Pathologist's Assistant.

If I get my predicted VR score of 11 or 12 should I bother applying with such a low GPA? 

Hi all! Similar to PathAssist, I have a 3.65 and have 11 on VR. However, unlike PathAssist, I don't have a Masters. :P Should I apply this cycle or perhaps wait another year so that I can pull up my GPA (as I'm still in 3rd year)? I'm just a bit worried about MCAT 2015 kicking in next cycle.

Thanks in advance.  :D

EDIT: I'm an in province student

Hi all! Similar to PathAssist, I have a 3.65 and have 11 on VR. However, unlike PathAssist, I don't have a Masters. :P Should I apply this cycle or perhaps wait another year so that I can pull up my GPA (as I'm still in 3rd year)? I'm just a bit worried about MCAT 2015 kicking in next cycle.

Thanks in advance.  :D

EDIT: I'm an in province student

I would apply if I were you. I'm not going to say "Do well on CASPer", because you obviously will try to. With those stats, I wouldn't deter.

• 2 weeks later...

You're below average on GPA and VR but still worth a shot. I know at least a couple people who were below average in both and got in. Only 1 VR worse than mine and trojjan's stats and we're both here. :D

Thanks Sarvish! I think ill give it a shot and see what happens. Casper might make the difference

I haven't got my MCAT score yet (I need to apply before getting my score) but I think I will end up with an 8. Should I consider applying with the stats below or VR is too low?

IP - 3 years B.Sc.

cGPA: 3.97

VR: 8

VR of 8 would place you near the beginning of the distribution curve and would really hurt your total score. This is tricky... Your GPA should be near the 90+ percentile, so give it a shot.

Thanks Sarvish! I think ill give it a shot and see what happens. Casper might make the difference

Definitely! I was really close to not applying with my stats and I would've really regretted it. All you have to lose is a few hundred dollars which is nothing compared to how much in debt you'll be in at the end of med school anyway.