Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some opinions as to whether the 1% bonus for an msc will truly improve my chances at obtaining an interview...I have an 11 on VR and a 3.71-3.72 cGPA.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Obviously the 1% will do just that, add 1% to your overall score. According to mac the Master/PHD bonuses make a significant but not decisive difference. Just to give you my experience, I have very similar stats (identical VR, very similar GPA), with no grad school and I have an interview this year. So it's certainly possible. The 32% Casper can make all the difference, and with 70% MMI weighting post-interview once you get an interview it really is in your hands (or so I'm telling myself :P)

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some opinions as to whether the 1% bonus for an msc will truly improve my chances at obtaining an interview...I have an 11 on VR and a 3.71-3.72 cGPA.

Thoughts?

That extra 1% helps, just like any little advantage helps, but not by a whole lot. Put it this way - it is 1/32 the value of the CASPer, so doing better on a single question there is probably worth about the same as an MSc.

With your stats, an interview invite is definitely possible without an MSc, though it would probably take an above-average CASPer performance.

Hi everyone,

Thoughts?

I had very similar stats to you and got an interview and eventually accepted. If you're considering doing a MSc mostly to improve your pre-interview score for one medical school, I would say that's not the best use of your time. I would recommend working on skills that contribute to CASPER (32% of pre-interview score) than do a masters for 1%. Yes, in the end, 1% will put you higher up the list of scores which may give you an interview offer (depending on where you are on the list) but it's definitely not the most effective way to influence your pre-interview score. Just one opinion -- hope it is helpful.

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for you insight! I applied this year (cGPA was slightly lower, 3.69ish) and did not get an interview. I honestly thought casper went as well as it could have but obviously not good enough. Hearing that it is possible to get an interview with my stats, maybe I will try again next application cycle...

Mac has always been one of my top choices :)

• 1 month later...
3.78 GPA 9 VR, UG complete. Any one know of anyone interviewed with similar stats? Will likely be re-writing MCAT but just curious.

My advice would be definitely write the MCAT, because that combined score isn't great unless you would ACE casper.

Looking over stats, it seems to be getting increasingly competitive each year. You have to go back to 2012 to find somebody who got an interview with a 9VR and a GPA below 3.9something. Honeslty, though you just need to increase your verbal to like an 11 and you'd have a much better shot!

Good luck :)

My advice would be definitely write the MCAT, because that combined score isn't great unless you would ACE casper.

Looking over stats, it seems to be getting increasingly competitive each year. You have to go back to 2012 to find somebody who got an interview with a 9VR and a GPA below 3.9something. Honeslty, though you just need to increase your verbal to like an 11 and you'd have a much better shot!

Good luck :)

You're probably right - that is the goal - a 10/11 minimum. I'm a little uncertain how to interpret the stats since the sample size was also much larger in 2012 (75 vs. 40/50). Thanks for the feedback!

You're probably right - that is the goal - a 10/11 minimum. I'm a little uncertain how to interpret the stats since the sample size was also much larger in 2012 (75 vs. 40/50). Thanks for the feedback!

I would take those stats with a grain of salt. I record those numbers blindly and post them on spreadsheets. I've had few people messaging me in private admitting how their VR was actually 8 as opposed to 9, etc...

This is my 2nd interview at McMaster back to back with 3.75 and 11VR. Everyone here is right with their advice, aim for an 11.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

GPA = 3.5 (undergrad + grad school), with a very strong upward trend (3.7, 3.8, and 3.9 for my last 2 years of undergrad and for grad school)

VR = 12

+1% for Masters

In Province

Think I have a shot at an interview? (i.e. would I have to do insanely well on CASPER to even have a shot?)

GPA = 3.5 (undergrad + grad school), with a very strong upward trend (3.7, 3.8, and 3.9 for my last 2 years of undergrad and for grad school)

VR = 12

+1% for Masters

In Province

Think I have a shot at an interview? (i.e. would I have to do insanely well on CASPER to even have a shot?)

I have a 3.5 GPA, 11 VR, and no masters and I'm trying! From what I've read on this forum it certainly doesn't hurt to try if you're above the cut-offs.

VR = 12

+1% for Masters

In Province

Your VR score and masters make up for your GPA a bit. I'd say that if you do above average on your CASPER to have a chance for an interview.

VR = 12

+1% for Masters

In Province

Disregard your grad school GPA, it only counts for that 1% and the grades don't matter. What is your undergrad GPA?

GPA: 3.77

VR: 10

IP

I feel that I don't have the greatest of chances unless I do exceptionally well on CASPER & am quite lucky (since a lot of people on this forum seem to have done well on CASPER, had good stats and still didn't score an interview). Thoughts?

To be honest no one really knows how they do on the CASPER. Mac doesn't say how they actually mark your responses and they provide no feedback after the test either. When people say they did well, it means that they think that they did well, but it's all guesses.

Your GPA and VR are close to the average, you definitely have a chance at an interview.

Did you guys really feel like the GPA and Verbal made that much of a difference? According to this chances thread, there were people i thought would definitely get an interview that didnt, and those that had been deemed to have a lesser chance that did get an interview

My assumption would be that there is such a high variance in casper scores that it is this section that plays the major role in who gets an interview.

In other words, the quantitative difference between a 3.9/12 and a 3.7/10 is small enough that it is easily overcome through casper. Maybe the marking of that section has such a high variability that it becomes the major determinant of a pre-interview score...atleast thats what i think. Especially after being worth 50% just a year before

thoughts?

Did you guys really feel like the GPA and Verbal made that much of a difference? According to this chances thread, there were people i thought would definitely get an interview that didnt, and those that had been deemed to have a lesser chance that did get an interview

My assumption would be that there is such a high variance in casper scores that it is this section that plays the major role in who gets an interview.

In other words, the quantitative difference between a 3.9/12 and a 3.7/10 is small enough that it is easily overcome through casper. Maybe the marking of that section has such a high variability that it becomes the major determinant of a pre-interview score...atleast thats what i think. Especially after being worth 50% just a year before

thoughts?

I thought this at first. I think the st.dev of each category reflects the variance of each section (VR, GPA, CASPer). Since VR and GPA are purely quantitative, the largest variance is how CASPer is scored. So in short, I agree with everything you just said and I believe the root of this variance is how CASPer is scored by the evaluators, which has an appropriate st.dev value to reflect this variance.

Just add to the mix... I have a M.Sc and 3.93 GPA but my VR is 8. I went to visit Mac on Waterloo Campus and absolutely loved it.. I wish I could rewrite the MCAT but I am finishing my PhD at the same time so I have no free time to squeeze in the MCAT. Should I apply? and if so, I know it would rely strongly on my CASPER which I have no clue how to practice for...

Thanks so much

Just add to the mix... I have a M.Sc and 3.93 GPA but my VR is 8. I went to visit Mac on Waterloo Campus and absolutely loved it.. I wish I could rewrite the MCAT but I am finishing my PhD at the same time so I have no free time to squeeze in the MCAT. Should I apply? and if so, I know it would rely strongly on my CASPER which I have no clue how to practice for...

Thanks so much

You still have a decent shot given a relatively strong CASPer score. To prep for CASPer, look at my signature for the PDF (how to improve for MMI). Since the CASPer is an online MMI, the prep is the same.

Thanks so much

If you don't have enough time to retake the entire MCAT, then consider retaking the MCAT but only completing the VR section. Your GPA is excellent, and if you can bump up your VR score to 9 or above, then your chance at getting an interview will significantly improve. To prepare for CASPer, watch the sample CASPer video and then practice, under timed conditions, on situations that are similar to it.