Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

Has anyone only done the verbal and gotten accepted at mac? They do a full file review if you pass the interview threshold and might not look fantastic...

Yup! I only wrote the VR section of the MCAT and was accepted into McMaster, and I know of other people who did the same and were also accepted.

What are my chances with these stats:

cGPA = 3.81

VR = 9

That would be an uphill battle. Your GPA is approx. average, but your VR is about 2 points below the accepted average. However, I encourage you to apply because 1) CASPer can help you to overcome a below average academic component and 2) CASPer can also help you to practice thinking on your feet which you will need for eventual interviews :)

I think it would be nice if we devised a formula for Mac to determine how competitive an applicant is since Mac has published how they rank applicants.

We know that both GPA and MCAT is 32%.

xGPA/4.0GPA*32%+xVerbal/15Verbal*32%+Graduate Bonus= Mac score.

So if we assume a 3.80/11 to be very competitive:

3.8/4*32+11/15*32+0= 53.87

So a score of 53.87 is competitive.

Just a suggestion. It could be an easy way for people to determine if they are competitive :)

I think it would be nice if we devised a formula for Mac to determine how competitive an applicant is since Mac has published how they rank applicants.

We know that both GPA and MCAT is 32%.

xGPA/4.0GPA*32%+xVerbal/15Verbal*32%+Graduate Bonus= Mac score.

So if we assume a 3.80/11 to be very competitive:

3.8/4*32+11/15*32+0= 53.87

So a score of 53.87 is competitive.

Just a suggestion. It could be an easy way for people to determine if they are competitive :)

only issue is that its likely more based on z-scores/percentile distribution....

a difference in gpa between 4.0 and 3.7 (which i would call significant) has a very minimal difference when applied with that formula...nevertheless, still a cool idea, who knows how mac actually does it

Hmm, how could we take into account for this? Feel free to suggest a formula that might seem more accurate :) regardless of what we do, it will be guess work, but I think a formula taking this into consideration would be more useful because I equally agree that this would be a big difference.

Also, it is probably better to use the percentile score for the verbal as this would probably give a better representation of the non linear scale.

So for example 11 for verbal is 95th percentile so it would be 0.95*32

Hmm, how could we take into account for this? Feel free to suggest a formula that might seem more accurate :) regardless of what we do, it will be guess work, but I think a formula taking this into consideration would be more useful because I equally agree that this would be a big difference.

Also, it is probably better to use the percentile score for the verbal as this would probably give a better representation of the non linear scale.

So for example 11 for verbal is 95th percentile so it would be 0.95*32

You would need to use z-scores and estimate the standard deviation for VR and GPA.

SD GPA 0.12

SD VR 1.5

Mean (accepted rounded down as interview probably lower) GPA 3.80

Mean (accepted rounded down as interview probably lower) VR 11

So for an applicant with a 3.6 GPA and 12 VR:

(3.6-3.8)/0.12= -1.67

(12-11)/1.5= +0.67

Convert each z-score to be out of 32 (slipping my mind how to do this) and bam.

cGPA: 3.90

MCAT: 13BS/10VR/13PS

what do you think the chances are for McMaster?

Hi stfxpremed, I was accepted to Mac with pretty much the exact same stats (OMSAS GPA 3.92, VR 10) so your chances are quite decent. Make sure that you write a solid CASPer and you should snag an interview invite.

Do you guys think McMaster and other schools will be heading for a record competitive year due to a lot of people taking the old MCAT a year earlier and applying because they are worried about the new MCAT next year?

I think every year is a "record" year. Each year more people apply as undergrad universities keep growing their cohorts. for the past 7-8 years each year has been a record year. its true that some meds programs have expanded but certainly not to match undergrad expansion.

• 2 weeks later...

3.84 GPA + 11VR + diverse (but relatively short-term; year or two) ECs? I'm OOP as well. 

ECs are irrelevant for McMaster, unless you can incorporate them into your CASPer answers. Your stats are competitive for an IP applicant, but the OOP pool is very competitive. You should still apply though

3.78 cGPA and 10 VR. Do I have a shot? How should I prep for CASPer and when is the best time to start? 

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Are you in province or out? If IP, definitely apply - you'll need a solid CASPer to get an interview but it's not out of the question at all (I received an interview with a lower cGPA and the same VR). If OOP, apply anyways but your chances are lower as there's less OOP interview spots allocated.

Are you in province or out? If IP, definitely apply - you'll need a solid CASPer to get an interview but it's not out of the question at all (I received an interview with a lower cGPA and the same VR). If OOP, apply anyways but your chances are lower as there's less OOP interview spots allocated.

I'm in province, so guess that means I have a fighting chance.Thanks again!