Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

My MCAT scores were just posted (I had to apply blind), and though I did decently overall, I'm really disappointed that I only got an 11 on VR. My cGPA is exactly 3.6 (i.e., much lower than the average applicant), so I was hoping for a 13, or at very least a 12, to make up for this (and was averaging 13 on practice). If I completely ace CASPer, do I have any chance of an interview?

Thanks guys.

My MCAT scores were just posted (I had to apply blind), and though I did decently overall, I'm really disappointed that I only got an 11 on VR. My cGPA is exactly 3.6 (i.e., much lower than the average applicant), so I was hoping for a 13, or at very least a 12, to make up for this (and was averaging 13 on practice). If I completely ace CASPer, do I have any chance of an interview?

Thanks guys.

You'll pretty much need to ace the CASPer, but yes, you do have a chance  :D

You'll pretty much need to ace the CASPer, but yes, you do have a chance  :D

Is there enough of a chance that I should even think of it as a possibility? I've been following a bit of the discussion on this thread and my "CS" (which, yes, I realize is flawed in certain ways) is -1.53. How should one interpret this exactly? If I, for example, score very very high on CASPer (to bring my CS to a 0, for example), is this supposed to equate to a "50/50" chance of getting an interview?

This ties into a more general question I had about admission stats; how many people apply who have no realistic chance of getting in at all (for example, someone with a 3.2 GPA and a 9 VR)? Has anyone estimated the percentage of applicants at each school who applied when they really shouldn't have (possibly due to a lack of understanding of the process)? The large number of applicants is intimidating, but if there's a reasonable number that have no chance then it's significantly less so.

Is there enough of a chance that I should even think of it as a possibility? I've been following a bit of the discussion on this thread and my "CS" (which, yes, I realize is flawed in certain ways) is -1.53. How should one interpret this exactly? If I, for example, score very very high on CASPer (to bring my CS to a 0, for example), is this supposed to equate to a "50/50" chance of getting an interview?

This ties into a more general question I had about admission stats; how many people apply who have no realistic chance of getting in at all (for example, someone with a 3.2 GPA and a 9 VR)? Has anyone estimated the percentage of applicants at each school who applied when they really shouldn't have (possibly due to a lack of understanding of the process)? The large number of applicants is intimidating, but if there's a reasonable number that have no chance then it's significantly less so.

I won't comment on the question of how many people are applying when their chances are negligible because we just don't have that data available... but if you follow Calgary Medical School Admissions every year 100-300 people  (/~1500) are disqualified for one of the following: 1. Didn't release their MCATS on time 2. Didn't submit a transcript in on time 3. Did not meet the MINIMUM posted official requirements. 

I won't comment on the question of how many people are applying when their chances are negligible because we just don't have that data available... but if you follow Calgary Medical School Admissions every year 100-300 people  (/~1500) are disqualified for one of the following: 1. Didn't release their MCATS on time 2. Didn't submit a transcript in on time 3. Did not meet the MINIMUM posted official requirements. 

Interesting. And these people were still counted in the applicant number? If that's the case, I feel a bit better about the large applicant numbers in general; if there's such a significant number who apply without even following the instructions there's probably at least as many who apply correctly but don't have a realistic chance.

It basically means you're a long shot and you need a phenomenal CASPer.

I should be clear, the CS doesn't consider your CASPer score at all and gives you your chances of getting an interview assuming you're a fairly typical CASPer writer. That's kind of the advantage of "chancing" people for Mac - the only subjective element is the CASPer and once it's scored its relative value is known. There's no real coin flipping once your CASPer is considered - you're either given an interview or you're not (waitlisting aside).

I'll try to put it in perspective: I had a cGPA of 3.55 and a VR of 12 and got an interview (followed by a post-interview waitlist). A higher CS than you, but not by much. More importantly, at least one person in the year I applied had a cGPA of 3.48 and a VR of 11 and not only got an interview but an acceptance. If it was possible for that person, it's possible for you. Admittedly, that person was the only one that year with a cGPA lower than mine who got an interview and posted about it here, so you do need a very strong CASPer, but it's definitely a possibility.

There are definitely some people applying to Mac without a realistic chance of getting in, as there are to many schools (look at Western's numbers - they've got quite a few applicants who don't get an interview despite what's usually a predictable cutoff for interviews). But I think most of the people applying do have a chance - even if it's a very small one - and just don't do well enough on the CASPer to beat the odds. If you can afford it, you should apply anywhere you have even a remote chance of getting in that you'd be willing to go, so the numbers seem high, but I'd guess it's just a lot of low-chance people making a completely rational decision to apply.

It basically means you're a long shot and you need a phenomenal CASPer.

I should be clear, the CS doesn't consider your CASPer score at all and gives you your chances of getting an interview assuming you're a fairly typical CASPer writer. That's kind of the advantage of "chancing" people for Mac - the only subjective element is the CASPer and once it's scored its relative value is known. There's no real coin flipping once your CASPer is considered - you're either given an interview or you're not (waitlisting aside).

I'll try to put it in perspective: I had a cGPA of 3.55 and a VR of 12 and got an interview (followed by a post-interview waitlist). A higher CS than you, but not by much. More importantly, at least one person in the year I applied had a cGPA of 3.48 and a VR of 11 and not only got an interview but an acceptance. If it was possible for that person, it's possible for you. Admittedly, that person was the only one that year with a cGPA lower than mine who got an interview and posted about it here, so you do need a very strong CASPer, but it's definitely a possibility.

There are definitely some people applying to Mac without a realistic chance of getting in, as there are to many schools (look at Western's numbers - they've got quite a few applicants who don't get an interview despite what's usually a predictable cutoff for interviews). But I think most of the people applying do have a chance - even if it's a very small one - and just don't do well enough on the CASPer to beat the odds. If you can afford it, you should apply anywhere you have even a remote chance of getting in that you'd be willing to go, so the numbers seem high, but I'd guess it's just a lot of low-chance people making a completely rational decision to apply.

Good answer; thanks. Here's hoping CASPer goes well...

I think I posted before but mind as well get some fresh opinions:

GPA: 3.95 

VR: 12 

I felt really good about my CASPer, spent the past month or so going over ethics and practicing how to approach conflicts and situations. Two of the cases I practiced actually showed up on my test :D

If you can read this thread properly, you probably have your answer. 

Seriously. Why would you ask about this if all 3 of the metrics they care about are above average, unless your intention is to brag?

If you can read this thread properly, you probably have your answer. 

Thanks for the helpful feedback! 

I'd also like to add that I'm OOP so if anyone has had experience applying to McMaster with these stats, I'd appreciate your input. 

Thanks for the helpful feedback! 

I'd also like to add that I'm OOP so if anyone has had experience applying to McMaster with these stats, I'd appreciate your input. 

Your GPA and VR are excellent. You have judged your CASper to have gone well. 

Obviously the fact that you're applying out of province might make it a little more difficult, but I'd say you're in good shape for an interview. Don't worry too much! 

cGPA: 3.83 VR: 13

CASPer: Mostly decent feeling, some questions where I feel like I could have added a few more sentences to further support my arguments, slightly floundering in a couple of questions

Main reason i'm asking is that I'm OOP which really makes me nervous since only 10% of seats (~50) allocated for us.

Its really hard to judge. If you were IP you would have a very high chance because of your VR, but I would have to say that it's entirely dependent on your CASPer, and if it truly went as decent as you thought it did. Your VR is definitely competitive even for OOP, and your GPA is ok. I don't think that you need a phenomenon CASPer, but definitely an above average CASPer is needed. I would say that you should expect an interview at least.

cGPA: 3.80
VR: 10 (averaging 11.6 on AAMC) :(
CASPer: Felt great
IP

Obviously, it's an uphill battle, but I felt like I did really well on CASPer. I have read enough on the topic that I know confidence /= accuracy, but I still have a reasonable amount of hope. I'm a third-year applicant, but as far as I know, McMaster doesn't really care about that.

cGPA: 3.83 VR: 13

CASPer: Mostly decent feeling, some questions where I feel like I could have added a few more sentences to further support my arguments, slightly floundering in a couple of questions

Main reason i'm asking is that I'm OOP which really makes me nervous since only 10% of seats (~50) allocated for us.

I think you will be fine because in my opinion the number of OOP applicants isn't actually that high.