Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

I'll add my question to the pile...

CARS: 126

cGPA: 3.68 + Master's

Had one run at CASPER.. could probably do better this time. ... thoughts?

That's about a 9 on the old scale, which is 2 SDs below the median, and GPA is about 1 SD below median. You do get a bit of a bonus from having a Master's, but your odds aren't amazing unfortunately. Maybe someone else can chime in on if it's worth it to apply.

GPA: 3.96 (McMaster includes summer school courses right? If not, then 3.97)

VR: Haven't taken it yet, but anticipating a 9 (on the verge of a 10 I feel like)

CASPER: No direct exp. with CASPER but I have experience with mmi interviews which seems similar in their spontaneity & process of justification on the spot. Expecting to do decent/above average; will dedicate much of Sept. & entire reading week to prepare for it.

What do you guys think? That low verbal.. lol

GPA: 3.96 (McMaster includes summer school courses right? If not, then 3.97)

VR: Haven't taken it yet, but anticipating a 9 (on the verge of a 10 I feel like)

CASPER: No direct exp. with CASPER but I have experience with mmi interviews which seems similar in their spontaneity & process of justification on the spot. Expecting to do decent/above average; will dedicate much of Sept. & entire reading week to prepare for it.

What do you guys think? That low verbal.. lol

I would definitely apply, if its a 10 obviously you don't need us to tell you that, but even for a 9 because you never know and CASPer can surprise you. Unless you score a 7 I would probably apply, even an 8 is worth it especially if you are already applying to other Ontario schools, its no extra work. 

Hello everyone,

So I got my MCAT back and I am a bit worried on my chances.

GPA: 3.9

MCAT CARS: 125

I am planning on re-writing next year, how would my low CARS score impact my chances at mac. I am guessing I have a low chance?

Lots of people will tell you to give it a try and hope for the best but honestly your chances are very low and I would apply after a rewrite (waste of money/time to apply with a 125).

Lots of people will tell you to give it a try and hope for the best but honestly your chances are very low and I would apply after a rewrite (waste of money/time to apply with a 125).

Unfortunately true, I mean you would have to blow CASPer out of the water, and NO ONE knows how to do that as it is quite the black box. Maybe try UOttawa, no MCAT required, but EC and GPA heavy. And plan for a rewrite if you want to give it a break for this year?

125 is between an 8-9 VR, people have been accepted with 6VR in the past have they not?

That is true, but plural of anecdotes is not data. Anything is possible, it's just a VERY uphill battle. Those people most likely had a really good GPA and or a PhD. They also would have scored 4 standard deviations above the mean on casper most likely.

Again, anything is possible, you just have to think of how likely things are though. 

Unfortunately true, I mean you would have to blow CASPer out of the water, and NO ONE knows how to do that as it is quite the black box. Maybe try UOttawa, no MCAT required, but EC and GPA heavy. And plan for a rewrite if you want to give it a break for this year?

How about a 9 with a 3.96 gpa? Do you think I have a shot with a decent casper? Or would I have to completely knock casper out of the park? (Im in province)

Anyone know what the CARS conversion to VR will be? I have a 129 cars and 3.94 gpa, and how good will my CASPER have to be to get an interview as an OOP?

10-11, still have to do well on it but you're not in a tough position. No reason to not prepare as well as you can regardless.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/434504/data/percentilenewmcat.pdf

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/430684/data/finalpercentileranksfortheoldmcatexam.pdf