Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

Going to give this a shot, might be a long stretch.

Undergraduate cGPA (OMSAS): 3.3

Graduate cGPA (doing a 2 years course-based MPh, have marks from the first year): 3.82

CARS: 128

Not sure if it's worth applying to Mac, I might give U of T a shot though.

Do you qualify for weighing for UofT? What's your wGPA? 

If it's not above 3.8+ (or 3.75 at the very least), I wouldn't bother applying to UofT. They probably consider course-based MPH students in the same pool as undergrads.

Going to give this a shot, might be a long stretch.

Undergraduate cGPA (OMSAS): 3.3

Graduate cGPA (doing a 2 years course-based MPh, have marks from the first year): 3.82

CARS: 128

Not sure if it's worth applying to Mac, I might give U of T a shot though.

yayy!! someone else with a low CGPA! ;) I didn't bother posting my stats because its a veryyy slim chance, and I know it,  but I figured hey! its worth a shot! At the end of the day you don't know unless you apply :) Good luck!

Interesting! It seems like an international student got in? :)

But darn....it seems GPA is getting higher and higher! :/

It's interesting...last year was a very competitive one.

Mac VR was an 11.2 this year (was stable around 11.0 before) - GPA to 3.84 from 3.82 two years ago. 

U of T was a 3.96 GPA this year

Ottawa was a 3.94 GPA this year (was 3.91 the two years before). 

I wonder if this year the stats will increase even more with the onslaught of people looking to use their old MCAT scores before they must rewrite the new one. 

cGPA 3.58

PharmD + BSc

What do you think my VR should be at a minimum to be considered above average?

Thanks!

131/132 to be safe. Might be able to squeak by with a 129 bare minimum but this is all just off the top of my head. the reality is no one knows for sure. just do your best to get a 132. it is 100% possible.

uGPA 3.46

gGPA 4.0 (PhD)

CARS: 130

out-of-province.

Thoughts? (Applied McMaster & U of T)

interesting situation

a 130 CARS is around the 97th percentile (correct me if i'm wrong), which is solid - about a 12 VR on the old MCAT. with your GPA and a 130 CARS it would be really tight, but you do get the 4% bonus for the PHD.

In my opinion - definitely doable with strong casper. 

cGPA (after 2 years UG) : 3.92 on 4.0

CARS : 132 (15? on old MCAT)

Will be applying next fall, for the entering class of 2017

I'm sure you realize, but you have plenty of wiggle room. You'll probably only need to do a halfway decent job of Casper to get an interview, assuming you maintain a fairly high GPA. 

Nobody ever answered...  :(

- 3.72 cGPA 

- Currently a 3rd year J.D. student (because how transcript is written, confirmed will be treated as graduate degree)

- 128 CARS

- In-province

Thanks!

That's about a 10 VR? I'm still learning the relative worth of the CARS scores. 

Doable if you do fairly well on CASPER, I'd think. 

Eh. Unfortunately the old scaling for VR was bonkers. That's closer to true for the other sections. It's the same reason that there are actually people applying with 132s, when there were like no 15s.

Yep. A 132 = 100th percentile on the new exam. On the last exam, 13= 100th percentile. Same with 14 and 15.

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/5f/16/5f169a91-12b7-42e0-8749-a17f3bebe7a4/finalpercentileranksfortheoldmcatexam.pdf

The old scale was bad indeed