Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

I know they are pretty low, but do I have a chance? Has anyone in recent history gotten in with these chances?

cGPA: 3.6

Verbal: 7

Casper: I have no idea. I answered everything.

I am sorry, but unfortunately the chances are very slim. I have yet to hear of anyone getting in with such stats; even a great CASPer will probably not be enough to compensate. Retake MCAT and improve your VR to at least an 11 and you could have a realistic chance of getting an offer.

Good luck and don't give up

• 4 weeks later...

How significant is the difference between a 3.5 and 3.6? (I am aware both are on low end.) My VR is 12 just in case.

It's significant, just as any 0.1 change in GPA would be, but a 3.5 does still give a possibility of getting an interview, particularly with your VR. I got an interview with a 3.55 cGPA/12 VR combo, and I know of people with worse combos who got interviews and acceptances. It'd take a very strong MCAT to get an interview with a 3.5, but it's doable.

• 2 weeks later...

How about a 3.59 and VR 11?

I am wondering if I can get my VR up to 12 for next cycle, but it's such a big difference between an 11 and a 12 :S.

Going from 11 to 12 will probably give you a strong advantage. The curve gets very steep as you go higher from 11. I personally would not take my chances on rewriting it... you wouldn't want a lower VR than 11. You are going in with 3.6 and 11 (not a bad spot to be at tbh). After grading CASPer, I can say this in confidence, a good CASPer performance would give you the advantage you need to get an interview.

Sorry for the quadruple post, my phone decided to be stupid...

Out of curiosity:

cGPA: 3.39

VR: 13

A high chance as long as you didn't bomb CASPer. That VR score will be amongst the highest and should compensate for the low GPA.

Congrats on the 13VR, could you check your PM I had a question :)

Thank you for your insight trojjanhorse!

Everyone likes good news, but it's really good to know that my numbers are actually okay and that a good CASPer could give me the advantage I need. It's nice to hear that 3.6 GPA and 11 VR isn't a bad spot to be at.

Ugh, it feels like life is all about the curve sometimes!

"Right in the meaty part! Not showing off, not falling behind."

• 3 weeks later...

cGPA: 3.90

MCAT: 13BS/10VR/13PS

what do you think the chances are for McMaster?

Good chance, your VR is slightly lower than the average but your GPA is quite solid. You just need to do well on CASPer, I interviewed with a lower GPA and the same MCAT score. Definitely apply.

Here is a person who had similar stats to you that posted previously in the thread. I would strongly recommend you glance over the thread before asking your chances. Not only do multiple people who have similar stats have already gotten answers but there is also nothing you can do at this point. Just be patient, you will get your answer in less then a month.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately your VR is putting you in a determinetal position. I thinkyou would have to completely destroy CASPer to offset the 9VR. Your GPA is just at the competitive border so it's fine. Definitely worth a shot, but be prepared for a possible rejection (or a surprising invite). Good luck on CASPer, review doing right and do the sample casper stuff online.

thinking about applying this cycle:

- considered IP; 4th year UG

- omsas GPA: 3.83 

- (2nd attempt) MCAT: 12(PS), 9(VR), 14(BS)

- (1st attempt) MCAT: 9(PS), 8(VR), 9(BS)

hoping to do well on casper....

what do you guys think?

I am interviewing this year with a 9 VR and a 3.74 GPA so its definitely possible, but yes.. definitely a surprising invite to say the least.

Probably a 3.87cGPA after this year. Currently have an 11VR but planning on rewriting the MCAT and doing only the CARS section for 12+. Applied twice now and rejected preinterview both times. You guys think its worth risking the 11VR?

Mac is realistically my only chance but apparently I'm awful at Casper. Anyone know if they look at reference letters before giving out interview invites?

I don't think they review reference letters until after the process. I know someone personally who got an interview + acceptance with around the same cGPA and a 10 in VR so it's possible. 

Do you have any ideas as to why your CASPER is not as strong?

Not sure, i wrote a good amount for each question and didn't leave anything blank. Maybe they look through reference letters before finalizing interview invites?

Yeah, I'm not sure. It does say on their website that full file review only happens after the 2nd formula is applied though.

When I was writing my CASPer I definitely didn't time my answers that well (hadn't prepped) and sometimes had 2-3 sentence answers for the last of question on the page. You're welcome to PM if you want to discuss how I approached the questions :)