Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

Probably a 3.87cGPA after this year. Currently have an 11VR but planning on rewriting the MCAT and doing only the CARS section for 12+. Applied twice now and rejected preinterview both times. You guys think its worth risking the 11VR?

Mac is realistically my only chance but apparently I'm awful at Casper. Anyone know if they look at reference letters before giving out interview invites?

I applied with 3.75 and VR11 twice and received an interview on both attempts. You clearly need to work on CASPer. The approach I took with CASPer was similar to my MMI prep. From my understanding, LORs are not read until after interviews. The odds of you having terrible LORs AFTER you've done well on everything else, slim. They are only used as red flags.

Thanks for responding. So should I risk the 11VR if Mac is my main target school?

He was saying the problem isn't your VR. With your stats, a Mac interview should be pretty doable with a solid CASper performance. An 11 to 12 VR isn't easy.

Try and figureshoot what the issue with CASPer is. A good way to go about doing this is to receive lots of feedback from other people and expose yourself to a variety of different perspectives that could aid your performance. On my exam, I drew upon content from psychology, sociology, statistics, law and health economics. I'm not involved in any way in the evaluation of these exams, however I do believe that an eclectic "way of thinking" would act to your advantage. You can begin to develop this through one crucial activity....reading!!! 

Good luck. 

3.42 GPA

13 VR

chances?

I would apply. You fall on the 90th+ percentile for VR and in the very low percentile for GPA (20th of accepted). I would go ahead and try to do well on the CASPer. If your VR score is fresh (recently written), I would consider 2nd undergrad degree to give yourself a fair shot. That would require a lot of patience and hard work...

I have read the stats from McMaster and I noticed that very few people over 35 have been accepted into the MD program over the past 4 years. I am 44 and I may be applying this year.  I am very unsure about the GPA conversion and how they will use grade from 20 years ago to determine my qualifications and eligibility, specially taking into account that I attended undergrad abroad. I have a master's degree in psychology (2006) from US with a GPA of 3.83, 13 years of experience in mental health in a Canadian hospital, excellent character, professional and academic references. Some volunteer work, but mostly working and raising my kids since 2000 when I immigrated to Canada. I am almost sure I can do well in the CASPer and VR of the MCAT, but I am unsure about the interview as some grammar mistakes and strong accent are still impacting on my oral communication.

I am wondering if people with my profile have been accepted to McMaster. I do not feel that I am too old for this but I am wondering if McMaster has many applications with similar profiles and if people over 40 and not very recent academic experience have been accepted.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks    

I have 2 questions:

the classic: 10VR, 3.78

Possibly IP? I just looked it up, and I did live in ON for 1.5yrs at age 17, plus I have gone to university here for 3 years (4th in Sept.) including every summer. Originally from a coastal province, but will Mac consider me IP as well?

Using my z-score calculations that I posted in the other thread + previous 3 years data, you need a z-score of 1.79 on the interview with your stats. In the past 3 years, 7 people on this forum alone have been able to get that score or higher, which means you should totally try :)

I have 2 questions:

the classic: 10VR, 3.78

Possibly IP? I just looked it up, and I did live in ON for 1.5yrs at age 17, plus I have gone to university here for 3 years (4th in Sept.) including every summer. Originally from a coastal province, but will Mac consider me IP as well?

I have read the stats from McMaster and I noticed that very few people over 35 have been accepted into the MD program over the past 4 years. I am 44 and I may be applying this year.  I am very unsure about the GPA conversion and how they will use grade from 20 years ago to determine my qualifications and eligibility, specially taking into account that I attended undergrad abroad. I have a master's degree in psychology (2006) from US with a GPA of 3.83, 13 years of experience in mental health in a Canadian hospital, excellent character, professional and academic references. Some volunteer work, but mostly working and raising my kids since 2000 when I immigrated to Canada. I am almost sure I can do well in the CASPer and VR of the MCAT, but I am unsure about the interview as some grammar mistakes and strong accent are still impacting on my oral communication.

I am wondering if people with my profile have been accepted to McMaster. I do not feel that I am too old for this but I am wondering if McMaster has many applications with similar profiles and if people over 40 and not very recent academic experience have been accepted.

Honestly, I think there are just very few people in the 35+ age range who apply. I'm only 28 and have only met a few other applicants who are older than me, which is somewhat distressing but I don't think indicative of any bias on the part of the process, just self-selection, really. The only school which, essentially, has policies which disadvantage mature or second career applicants would be Ottawa, which does not consider activities you have done outside of your undergraduate years.

I am not certain about how your undergrad marks would convert, but I believe most schools suggest WES to do the equivalency.

Next step should be to write the MCAT and see how you do on the new section that is equivalent to VR. You'll have a better idea of your chances then. Obviously your life and professional experience will come in very handy for CASPER and the interview. Best of luck!

• 2 months later...
I've been wandering through these forums for a while as I attempt to reason with myself as to my actual chances, so I figured I'd post here and see what everyone else thinks.

cGPA: 3.66

Verbal: 13

I know it's going to realistically come down to my performance on CASPer, but pre-CASPer how am I looking?

Thanks everyone.

I've been wandering through these forums for a while as I attempt to reason with myself as to my actual chances, so I figured I'd post here and see what everyone else thinks.

cGPA: 3.66
Verbal: 13

I know it's going to realistically come down to my performance on CASPer, but pre-CASPer how am I looking?

Thanks everyone.

This: "I know it's going to realistically come down to my performance on CASPer"

Also, on this same page someone posted just above with similar stats. I would look about 5 posts up for your answer.

This: "I know it's going to realistically come down to my performance on CASPer"

Also, on this same page someone posted just above with similar stats. I would look about 5 posts up for your answer.

I saw that post, as I said I've been wandering through.

I guess I should have been more specific in asking, I'm looking to hear perspectives in how much the verbal would balance out my specific GPA.

It's Mac, of course everything comes down to CASPer.

I saw that post, as I said I've been wandering through.

I guess I should have been more specific in asking, I'm looking to hear perspectives in how much the verbal would balance out my specific GPA.

It's Mac, of course everything comes down to CASPer.

High VR gives you a good shot, lower GPA makes it a bit more challenging. That's about as much information as anyone can accurately give you for mac because of CASPer. But I think you already know that.

For perspective, I interviewed and got in with a 9VR and 3.74 GPA, so your odds aren't any worse than mine. Realistically, do your best on CASPer, which you should be doing anyway, but any exact CASPer score is pretty much speculation and fancy number manipulation based on relatively low samples.

There have been people older than you who have been accepted. I'll be starting at McMaster this fall at age 35, so it's not impossible. Like Birdy said, it is self selecting. I think many people at 35+ have settled into a life they don't want to uproot.

You can do it

• 3 weeks later...

how does McMaster assess the GPA for interview selection? I know it is worth 32% of the total weight. But how is it exactly calculated? So, if you have a 3.5 GPA, you get 50% of the GPA weight, 3.8 = 80%, 3.00= 0% ? Is that how it works? Or, do you get a certain % of the GPA weight based on what broader GPA group you are in? If it is the latter case, would a 3.00-3.49 be equivalent in terms of the % of the weight you get?  I say this because in the statistics document, 3.00-3.49 GPA acceptances are grouped in the same category. I would really appreciate it if someone can provide me with information  in this regard.

• 5 weeks later...