Premed 101 Forums

UBC Interview Invites/Regrets

Regrets for OOP

Overall Grade Point Average 90.8

Adjusted Grade Point Average 91.47

AQ Score 50

NAQ Score 25.1

TFR Score 75.1

Damn, I thought UBC was a longshot. It hurts to be that close, especially since I had some great ECs from this summer.

At least I know how I stack up in terms of NAQ scores.

Good luck to everyone. You deserve it.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm after M.

Still reeling from this NAQ drop. Can't use it as a benchmark for next year anymore.

Brutal, this happened to my friend a couple years ago, his dropped like 6 or 7 points after adding a ton of stuff. It doesn't mean it won't rebound next year... but still very hard to swallow.

Posting my regrets:

Overall Grade Point Average 75.74

Adjusted Grade Point Average 80.18

AQ Score 17.26

NAQ Score 38.94

TFR Score 56.2

Damn KM, I was rooting for you this year. Keep working on the GPA, it will edge you in. You are the most persistent person ever.

regrets :(

OOP

Overall Grade Point Average 85.51

AQ Score 35.03

NAQ Score 26.01

TFR Score 61.04

really confused about my NAQ score though... did anyone else have awesome EC's and feel like their NAQ makes no sense? I didn't submit intramural sports and travelling for fun and stuff like that, i thought it was kinda frivolous stuff to put down - do you guys think that stuff would have made a difference?

imo, it is NOT frivolous, adcom values that stuff a lot

So in province and OOP regrets went out today for both early and normal deadlines? Weird. I wonder if DQs went out as well? I wonder if more regrets are goin out? It will be weird now if they release invites for the early deadline tomorrow and make the rest of the applicants wait another day...

No offence, but I don't feel too bad for you, with a GPA like that you'll always have options for med school :)

I don't know whether to be thankful or hurt by this (perhaps it's just because this is still fresh). I'll thank you because I really hope that you're right.

I knew that my NAQ was not going to be worth enough when they posted the 78.80 cutoff this morning. I may have enough for next year since all the stuff that happened after June 1st should increase my score. Anyway, this is wishful thinking.

Thanks again for the confidence boost :)

Regrets for OOP

Overall Grade Point Average 90.8

Adjusted Grade Point Average 91.47

AQ Score 50

NAQ Score 25.1

TFR Score 75.1

Damn, I thought UBC was a longshot. It hurts to be that close, especially since I had some great ECs from this summer.

At least I know how I stack up in terms of NAQ scores.

Good luck to everyone. You deserve it.

I feel your pain

I don't know whether to be thankful or hurt by this (perhaps it's just because this is still fresh). I'll thank you because I really hope that you're right.

I knew that my NAQ was not going to be worth enough when they posted the 78.80 cutoff this morning. I may have enough for next year since all the stuff that happened after June 1st should increase my score. Anyway, this is wishful thinking.

Thanks again for the confidence boost :)

I know rejection stings, didn't mean to be a jerk. In earnest, I meant that with that GPA you will very likely get accepted to one of the schools you applied to this cycle. Worst case, you get in next year. At least it won't take you 4 tries like me, lol.

I know rejection stings, didn't mean to be a jerk. In earnest, I meant that with that GPA you will very likely get accepted to one of the schools you applied to this cycle. Worst case, you get in next year. At least it won't take you 4 tries like me, lol.

I figured you weren't trying to be a jerk or anything. Thank you, and congrats on getting in (last cycle?)

Just got my regrets. Brutal. I had a 44.5 NAQ with a 78% average (9.18 AQ) and can't get an interview even. UBC is obvioulsy pretty pro grades.

Sorry, should have added some context...

IP, applied prior to the early deadline.

Congrats to those who get good news later in the week.

If you get 50/50 AQ and a poor NAQ which results in no interview, it's an extracurricular biased school. If you get 50/50 NAQ and a poor AQ which results in no interview, it's a grade biased school. The AQ is transparent but the NAQ is extremely muddy. Out of fairness to applicants, it would be nice to know what sort of extracurriculars bode well for a high NAQ come application time. Can't fix anything if you don't know what's broken!

AQ transparent? What? UBC proudly states time after time on their blog their formula to convert gpa --> NAQ is a strict secret. People on Pm101 are making some attempts to sort it out, but, UBC is certainly not heading up that effort. Say what you will about UBC, but transparency is not their strong suit. There are many other examples of the lack of transparency, such as how reference letters are used and pre-req gpa.

I'll end my rant by saying I admit the schools do not owe anyone transparency. But, UBC hasn't shown any evidence in attempting any.

What did you guys that got below 30 NAQ have as for activities?

I have 2 years of volunteer at hospital, a summer of research with 2 publications, 12 months of co-op research, involvement with different clubs and student organizations for up to 4 years, first aid volunteer, peer tutor, some lifeguard and teaching swimming classes, traveling

Last year I got 22.41 on my NAQ (AQ 34.76), this year my NAQ dropped down to 20.92. I don't know what to make of all this.

I have 2 years of volunteer at hospital, a summer of research with 2 publications, 12 months of co-op research, involvement with different clubs and student organizations for up to 4 years, first aid volunteer, peer tutor, some lifeguard and teaching swimming classes, traveling

Last year I got 22.41 on my NAQ (AQ 34.76), this year my NAQ dropped down to 20.92. I don't know what to make of all this.

....wow.. I am actually shocked :eek: can't believe that would only score you a 21/50 .....

AQ transparent? What? UBC proudly states time after time on their blog their formula to convert gpa --> NAQ is a strict secret. People on Pm101 are making some attempts to sort it out, but, UBC is certainly not heading up that effort. Say what you will about UBC, but transparency is not their strong suit. There are many other examples of the lack of transparency, such as how reference letters are used and pre-req gpa.

I'll end my rant by saying I admit the schools do not owe anyone transparency. But, UBC hasn't shown any evidence in attempting any.

To be honest, I find that UBC is one of the more transparent schools compared to others in Canada (other than U of A). Not about to derail the thread here, so I will just end by saying that for example Queen's is much much worse at transparency.

....wow.. I am actually shocked :eek: can't believe that would only score you a 21/50 .....

I know I am pretty shocked myself, I don't know if it was my wording, but how bad could've have been right? I'm really confused, especially with the drop in NAQ too...

I know I am pretty shocked myself, I don't know if it was my wording, but how bad could've have been right? I'm really confused, especially with the drop in NAQ too...

out of curiosity, did you have much in terms of other employment (aside from coop or research that is), awards, or travel?

I too am also shocked. It seems that your EC's are better than some people that have been successfully accepted at UBC (from the stickied thread). The only possible reason I can think of is probably the short duration? For example, did everything start 2 years ago?

out of curiosity, did you have much in terms of other employment (aside from coop or research that is), awards, or travel?

Nothing too regular, I did peer tutoring and note-taking for UBC Access and Diversity. I had a Go Global Award and a club award, and lots of summer traveling

Archived