Premed 101 Forums

Useful Queen Stats

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are the MD/PhD interviews today. I imagine they have their hands full with managing that.

Ohhh right. I always thought today was the 26th for some reason.

Yea given MD/PhD's I doubt we would hear anything until they are over. So either end of day, or Monday. I'm betting Monday. Now, time to log off and de-stress

any queens med students have any idea if they will be using ws cutoffs this year? or in the future? comp glitched during my MCAT and I ended up with an 11-10-14-O. really don't want to re-write!

my guess is that this will be the last year they use them. but hoping for the best

I thought U of T sent out invites throughout the spring? Do they send out a large portion at once and then a smaller amount after?

I think he just meant U of T would send something out...

any queens med students have any idea if they will be using ws cutoffs this year? or in the future? comp glitched during my MCAT and I ended up with an 11-10-14-O. really don't want to re-write!

The adcom was reviewing whether or not to use it last I heard. Not sure how the vote went in the end but there is a chance it won't be used.

The adcom was reviewing whether or not to use it last I heard. Not sure how the vote went in the end but there is a chance it won't be used.

My first MCAT's writing sample was below the cut-off, so I re-wrote it. But the number scores are still higher from my first test. In the event that they omit the writing sample, would they use my first (better) test in the assessment?

My first MCAT's writing sample was below the cut-off, so I re-wrote it. But the number scores are still higher from my first test. In the event that they omit the writing sample, would they use my first (better) test in the assessment?

Their policy is to assess the best MCAT score so dropping the WS wouldn't have any effect on that...

Their policy is to assess the best MCAT score so dropping the WS wouldn't have any effect on that...

Ottawamed - congrats on your acceptance to Wayne! That must be a huge relief! Can I ask what your GPA/ MCATs were to get interviews at Georgetown and Wayne? Are you a Canadian citizen? Do you have American citizenship? I'm starting to realize I may need to apply to the states next year and Georgetown is a top choice of mine. Would love to know your states so I can have some idea where i stand.

Ottawamed - congrats on your acceptance to Wayne! That must be a huge relief! Can I ask what your GPA/ MCATs were to get interviews at Georgetown and Wayne? Are you a Canadian citizen? Do you have American citizenship? I'm starting to realize I may need to apply to the states next year and Georgetown is a top choice of mine. Would love to know your states so I can have some idea where i stand.

I don't wanna drag this thread too off-topic - my stats etc have been posted a couple of times in the American application threads, most recently here

So, I was just perusing the invite/rejections thread from last application cycle (don't judge, we've all been there, haha). It scares the bejeezus out of me - so many excellent candidates were rejected pre-interview. I see people with great GPAs, fantastic MCAT scores, and varied and in depth lists of ECs rejected and it really freaks me out. It also begs the question of what admissions is looking for - how do they select for interviews? Are there cutoffs? Is there a lot of emphasis on reference letters?

So, I was just perusing the invite/rejections thread from last application cycle (don't judge, we've all been there, haha). It scares the bejeezus out of me - so many excellent candidates were rejected pre-interview. I see people with great GPAs, fantastic MCAT scores, and varied and in depth lists of ECs rejected and it really freaks me out. It also begs the question of what admissions is looking for - how do they select for interviews? Are there cutoffs? Is there a lot of emphasis on reference letters?

http://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate/prospective_students/method_of_selection

They use sequential steps starting with your GPA and working through the MCAT, Autobiographical sketch and reference letters.

The strangest cutoff last year was an R on writing. I've searched Queen's website and they really don't give any hints as to exact cut-offs per se. But from speaking with friends who got invites/rejections an R was the cutoff that stood out as unusual to me anyway.

Archived