Useful Queen Stats

^ I'm pretty sure it was Q last year.

Just got back from Europe last week, finally have time to post

Accepted.

M.A.Sc. graduate

First time applying to meds and first time interview

13 PS/ 10 VR/ 12 BS WS:Q

cGPA: 3.2

EC: Varsity athlete, several NSERCs, 6 pubs, summer intern at Stanford, field researcher in Mexico, Massey Fellow, just usually graduate student stuff

Best of luck everyone! Work hard but take time to smell the roses and embrace nature.

word 10 char

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that guy/girl had a masters though. says on that link if you are a masters student and slightly below cutoffs they review your application independently. know some pretty amazing applicants with a Q that didn't get an interview to queens but got in else where. but i could be wrong

Accepted!

2 year GPA 3.89/ cGPA 3.84

10PS/11VR/11BS Q MCAT

4th year undergrad

ECs: 2 research positions (no publications), 1 long-term employment and involvement with a university club.

MMI part of the interview was hit and miss for me - some stations I thought went well and some were not as good, one was absolutely tragic. Panel went very well, helped me end my interview on a high note.

Also interviewed at Western and McMaster and received offers from both. Big decision to make!

10 characters

The strangest cutoff last year was an R on writing. I've searched Queen's website and they really don't give any hints as to exact cut-offs per se. But from speaking with friends who got invites/rejections an R was the cutoff that stood out as unusual to me anyway.

Your data is not reliable. It's well-known that it was q last year.

Last time it was an R was in my application year. At the time Queens was just really, really in love with the WS section. We thought the requirement was a little crazy considering no one else valued it that highly.

It is crazy. The writing section is actually being dropped from the MCAT so if Queens raises their cut off this year then - no offence to adcoms - that's just plain stupidity.

It is crazy. The writing section is actually being dropped from the MCAT so if Queens raises their cut off this year then - no offence to adcoms - that's just plain stupidity.

Could be they won't be using it at all this year - I know a committee member who mentioned a little while ago that they was actively debating what to do about it this year since it'll be gone soon. I was told there was a strong push to stop using it this year, but we'll have to wait and see since I never heard what the outcome was.

am i weird for thinking that the WS is just like... a primitive version of casper? evaluate both sides, then state conclusion and rationale for said conclusion?

I am not so sure, I took MCAT twice went from 26 -31 my VR was 11 each time and my WS was M each time. I always did very well on my VR and being OOP with a 3.7 and receiving an invite from Mac I must have done great on Casper, maybe I have an odd writing style the computers spaz on lol. Not much hope for Queens if they weigh WS heavily. I was very confused both times with my WS score. :confused: I received great marks in one of my English courses on essays as well...maybe I should have had them re scored..lol

I am not so sure, I took MCAT twice went from 26 -31 my VR was 11 each time and my WS was M each time. I always did very well on my VR and being OOP with a 3.7 and receiving an invite from Mac I must have done great on Casper, maybe I have an odd writing style the computers spaz on lol. Not much hope for Queens if they weigh WS heavily. I was very confused both times with my WS score. :confused: I received great marks in one of my English courses on essays as well...maybe I should have had them re scored..lol

The MCAT WS required a really specific formula (paragraph 1 explain one side with example, paragraph 2 explain the other with a different exaple, paragraph 3 summarize and make general statement, but highlight exceptions and explain that each case is different and needs to be evaluated individually, etc). Did you stick to it? Because if you didn't I can see why you'd do well in English class, etc. but receive a relatively low WS score.

The MCAT WS required a really specific formula (paragraph 1 explain one side with example, paragraph 2 explain the other with a different exaple, paragraph 3 summarize and make general statement, but highlight exceptions and explain that each case is different and needs to be evaluated individually, etc). Did you stick to it? Because if you didn't I can see why you'd do well in English class, etc. but receive a relatively low WS score.

I tried to stick to that, apparently it failed, lol. Oh well, I know I'm competent.

TBH I actually tried to switch it up a lot for my second writing from the style I used the first time around. More to what I thought they specifically wanted but it still didn't change.. I have seen a lot of ESL get M and I am like :confused: I used 3 different prep books but I cannot remember how they approached it, maybe caused confusion...

I tried to stick to that, apparently it failed, lol. Oh well, I know I'm competent.

TBH I actually tried to switch it up a lot for my second writing from the style I used the first time around. More to what I thought they specifically wanted but it still didn't change.. I have seen a lot of ESL get M and I am like :confused: I used 3 different prep books but I cannot remember how they approached it, maybe caused confusion...

That's really funny silvantes, I had the exact opposite situation. I did just above average on VR (9) despite practicing a lot before. I assume CASPer didn't go great for me either. But on the other hand I was able to get an S in WS. And I'm ESL too, though I've been in Canada for over 10 years so I don't know if it still counts. To be honest, I really wish I was on the other boat — doesn't look like anyone in Canada really cares for WS all that much.

If they choose not to use the WS this year, I wonder what this would do to their cGPA/2yGPA cutoffs. Surely those will have to increase. The other possibilities are an increase in MCAT cutoffs in the other sections (unlikely, but possible) or an increased weight on ECs. I have a feeling that the WS cutoff was definitely eliminating several applicants, so I feel like they would need to become harsher in the remaining aspects of our applications in order to compensate.

Granted, this is all based on the possibility of them removing the WS from the admissions criteria this year. Personally, I think that they'll keep it. I agree that it's not the best indication of the strength of an applicant, but for some reason I feel like they're going to hang onto it for one more cycle.

I guess there's no point speculating any further though. We'll know as soon as we see the WS scores of the invited applicants.

That's really funny silvantes, I had the exact opposite situation. I did just above average on VR (9) despite practicing a lot before. I assume CASPer didn't go great for me either. But on the other hand I was able to get an S in WS. And I'm ESL too, though I've been in Canada for over 10 years so I don't know if it still counts. To be honest, I really wish I was on the other boat — doesn't look like anyone in Canada really cares for WS all that much.

very interesting...yeah I felt really good about everything and can think on my feet quite well when it comes to MMI/Casper stuff but then ended up with that M again..lol Best of luck with any other applications you might have out, you sound like a worthy applicant, I would hope most of us are :)

Archived