Premed 101 Forums

Useful Queen Stats

very interesting...yeah I felt really good about everything and can think on my feet quite well when it comes to MMI/Casper stuff but then ended up with that M again..lol Best of luck with any other applications you might have out, you sound like a worthy applicant, I would hope most of us are :)

My situation is very similar to yours! I have done exceptionally well in all my English classes and I got a 13 on the VR section; however, I got an N in the WS. I was extremely confused, because some individuals I know to be average writers were getting Qs and Rs with seeming ease.

I'm going to be happy once the WS is abolished as a criteria!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried to stick to that, apparently it failed, lol. Oh well, I know I'm competent.

TBH I actually tried to switch it up a lot for my second writing from the style I used the first time around. More to what I thought they specifically wanted but it still didn't change.. I have seen a lot of ESL get M and I am like :confused: I used 3 different prep books but I cannot remember how they approached it, maybe caused confusion...

ESL here with S on the written section. TBH writing is not a fair evaluation of one's writing skills, its whether or not you bought a prep book for writing. Good riddance that they are getting rid of it.

If only they would get rid of verbal too :P

Just some anecdotal evidence, but admissions does not sit down and decide - "what do we value more this year?". They have certain preferences, yes, but they have a set number of interviews they aim to offer and essentially play with cutoffs to hit that ideal number.

WS is a less contentious cutoff (why we've seen the crazy spread of O-R recently at Western/Queen's) so tends to be what they manipulate to get 20 more or 20 less interviews. On the other hand if you modify VR between the critical 10-11 range you are likely making a difference of 100 applicants.

It all depends on the make up of your applicant year. When WS disappears entirely next year they will have to adjust another category (MCAT or GPA or offer more interviews) to compensate.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that today will be a letdown.

probably because we are expecting it, you know, watched pot never boils...:D

also I do not think i am going to get any love from Queens I got lucky with Mac and hope that those who didn't get some love here. I feel like they didn't get enough info from me to know who I am..ya know? Memorial had questions, Dal had personal statement, Mac had casper and Toronto had their questions. I was shocked that Queens didn't want anything else from me, especially considering they say they're "holistic".

95 viewing..lol

Na. I refuse to participate in this madness. I need to get work done ...

I wish you the best of luck!

Personally, my productivity will be extremely low this week due to the suspense. In fact, I think that I'll remain like this until all of the invites are done.... unfortunately :(

True - although less likely I guess than later but still possible :)

Why did everyone start talking like it was today?

Apparently they sent invites the past 2 years on the 26th and 27th, so we were all expecting invites/regrets on Friday. Since they didn't send anything on Friday (due to MD/PhD interviews), we will now continue to expect them to send emails every single day until they do it. A sad reality, but nonetheless this is what has happened.

True - although less likely I guess than later but still possible :)

Why did everyone start talking like it was today?

Speculation based on last year and the year before. We thought it was Friday, but turns out MD/PhD interviews were being conducted that day, so we assumed it would get moved to Monday

I am disappoint.

Erm. Not to get anyone's hopes up, but with Macmaster someone called and was told the invite emails would come later in the week. A couple of hours later on that same day the invites were e-mailed out. So you never know Queen's could still send theirs today :P

I think the bottom line is we need to figure out a way to get our work done and not worry about this. The stress is counter productive, and the invites have to inevitably come out. Worrying about it won't make any bit of difference.

On this note, I'm logging out. Time to get my work done. Good luck everyone!

Speculation based on last year and the year before. We thought it was Friday, but turns out MD/PhD interviews were being conducted that day, so we assumed it would get moved to Monday

I know I did this too but everyone seems to think there are great big patterns in admissions offices. There really aren't in my experience. They often aim for a vague goal mostly just to get things off of their plate but things are pretty loose. Even if you found a pattern the people involved change so often that it wouldn't hold for long. So as hard as it sounds (and I know it is hard) try not to obsess about it.

Archived