Premed 101 Forums

Its my understanding, and stated as such on their website that they use the MCAT merely as a flag thus with that interpretation as long as you meet the minimums anything above does not matter.

These cut offs really aren't all that high and as such i wouldn't for see them increasing them. an N on the writting sample really doesn't discriminate many people.

Its my understanding, and stated as such on their website that they use the MCAT merely as a flag thus with that interpretation as long as you meet the minimums anything above does not matter.

yup cut offs only. Beyond that the MCAT for that school has no value.

If MCAT is only on a flag based system, then I'm guessing UofT puts a huge emphasis on GPA right? and Research based EC? ...

Yes, they put a lot of emphasis on the GPA. Toronto and Ottawa both have very high GPA and autobio sketch standards in comparison to the other Ont med schools (note that Queen's has also recently begun using a more 'holistic' approach like Toronto & Ottawa).

The average GPA of candidates accepted at Toronto was of 3.90 in 2012 (approx 3.94 for undergrads and maybe 3.81 for grads; note -> the class is 2/3+ undergrads, and the GPA reported is either the cGPA or the wGPA of the students). Note: if you're eligible for the wGPA weighting formula, then you're in luck because it can bring up your GPA considerably.

Now, because a good portion of Toronto's class consists of grads, many candidates have excellent research ECs, but having 'good' research ECs is not a must but rather a nice bonus.

P.S. Despite Toronto only using the MCAT as a flag system, it's interesting to see that they still post the MCAT statistics of the 2012 entering class.

Mean VR - 9.59, PS - 11.37, BS - 11.58, WS - Q (median).

I'm speculating that they might look at the MCAT a little more closely if they have to 'break the tie' between two virtually equally qualified candidates. WARNING: This is mere speculation on my part; there's no evidence that they actually do this.

P.S. Despite Toronto only using the MCAT as a flag system, it's interesting to see that they still post the MCAT statistics of the 2012 entering class.

Mean VR - 9.59, PS - 11.37, BS - 11.58, WS - Q (median).

I'm speculating that they might look at the MCAT a little more closely if they have to 'break the tie' between two virtually equally qualified candidates. WARNING: This is mere speculation on my part; there's no evidence that they actually do this.

Note that I have it on concrete authority that they also take into account where you did your Undergrad. My source was unwilling to saw how they use it, my guess would be to break a tie.

Also note that although UofO and UofT both have very high GPA standards, the latter is much more friendly to those with lower than 3.9GPA, whereas UofO it';s pretty well impossible to get an interview with 3.85 and a grad degree can help you a lot at U of T but not UofO if you don't have that 3.9 or so.

Case in point: my cGPA is 3.35 (not eligible for weighting) and I'm starting at UofT in August - it's a much more holistic approach.

Also note that although UofO and UofT both have very high GPA standards, the latter is much more friendly to those with lower than 3.9GPA, whereas UofO it';s pretty well impossible to get an interview with 3.85 and a grad degree can help you a lot at U of T but not UofO if you don't have that 3.9 or so.

Case in point: my cGPA is 3.35 (not eligible for weighting) and I'm starting at UofT in August - it's a much more holistic approach.

Seriously? And you got accepted in all those schools (Queen's, Western, Manitoba, U of T)? Wow, that's an awesome achievement! ;) You must have really pulled your grades back up in your last 2 years or so (+ have an awesome MCAT score). So U of T is really way more lenient with the grad GPA than I thought, and having a Master's really does give a nice boost in this school.

Seriously? And you got accepted in all those schools (Queen's, Western, Manitoba, U of T)? Wow, that's an awesome achievement! ;) You must have really pulled your grades back up in your last 2 years or so (+ have an awesome MCAT score). So U of T is really way more lenient with the grad GPA than I thought, and having a Master's really does give a nice boost in this school.

It can, yes, if you have a lot to show for it. I did pull up my GPA a lot after switching programs after second year and I have a good MCAT of 39R which probably helped me at Queens and UWO and DEFINITELY helped me at UofM (75% of your pre-interview is MCAT!)

The minimum to apply to U of T with a graduate degree is 3.0, though very people get in with anything close to that, but at least that means they read my application, unlike UofO!

Note that I have it on concrete authority that they also take into account where you did your Undergrad. My source was unwilling to saw how they use it, my guess would be to break a tie.

I would like to also confirm this - I have heard from official source that UofT does make a differentiation between universities - more than just a tie breaker. As you guys said, they take a holistic approach which includes where you did your undergrad, what major/program, how challenging the program was.

I would like to also confirm this - I have heard from official source that UofT does make a differentiation between universities - more than just a tie breaker. As you guys said, they take a holistic approach which includes where you did your undergrad, what major/program, how challenging the program was.

I believe this is true. There are not many York students who get into U of T medicine straight out of undergrad.

schmitty, what was your year-by-year breakdown of GPA throughout undergrad?

Thank you, most people laugh at me when I say that even when I tell them my source is someone from the adimission office.

Do you happen to know if they do this for where you did your graduate degree?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's good if they do this. It puts everyone on the same playing field (i.e. no easy way to 'cheat' the system by taking easier courses or doing an easier undergrad at an 'easier' university).

Archived