Premed 101 Forums

2013/2014 UBC interview: rejection or invite

But the NAQ scale has shifted just as much as the AQ score.

For all we know, it is now as impossible to get a 50 NAQ as getting a 50 AQ.

It did, but I'm not as concerned about shifts per say as the amount of spread (i.e. it doesn't matter what everyone's NAQ is if every got the exact same score, since it doesn't distinguish between applicants).

I'm under the impression than the whole distribution of NAQ went down, but the spread is about the same, whereas the spread for AQ got much tighter.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey,

I'm an OOP applicant who met the early deadline, but have not heard anything yet, nor has my interview decision status been updated on the OAS.

Are there any other early deadline applicants who have not heard anything yet? Kind of makes me think I'm waiting for a rejection given the wording on their website:

Applicants who submit, by August 15, the application and all supporting documents normally required by September 16 and who are invited to interview (meaning not necessarily including those who met the early deadline and are rejected) will receive an interview invitation one day early

It's confusing because I know of applicants who did not meet the early deadline, or who's applicants were in ineligible, who heard back last night. Really hoping that at this point, no news remains good news..! Would love to hear from other early deadline applicants who may not have heard anything yet though. Thanks in advance!

Hey, I am in the same boat. I have heard nothing, so I had my depression spell yesterday accepting the fact that I got rejected. I haven't actually been rejected formally yet, but I think its coming. Hang in there mate.

Rejected: IP (timestamp: 3:32 PM PST)

oGPA: 79.2%

aGPA: 83.39%

AQ: 22.36

NAQ: 27.50

TFR: 49.86

ECs: not that impressive, nothing long term. Duke of Edinburgh bronze, silver and gold awards. Some high school sport. Some volunteer work at hospitals and day care.

OOP reject and didn't hit early deadline. I thought I stood a chance for EC and research. Though having my verifier have to correct a point (that, at the June 15 deadline, I was volunteering full time, but as of September 15, I was down to part time) might have hurt.

BSc Engineering (Chemical, specialization in Biomedical), graduating December

Adjusted GPA - 82.64

AQ Score - 21.21

NAQ Score - 20.13

EC:

- Volunteering part time with long term care facility

- Full time volunteering over summer on helping a Cancer centre develop a "trusted cite" database

- Taught (well, officially I 'tutored', but it was new material to them) a small class over a summer

- Volunteered with a rehabilitation program over a school year

- Hospital gift store work

- Field hockey player in a couple leagues

- Canadian Blood services

- Assisted with the clean up of Calgary after the flood this summer

Academic:

- Paper presented on multivariate analysis

- Year long research project on internship

Best of luck to the rest of you. I knew it was a massive long shot for me because of GPA.

No interview :'(

OOP, normal deadline

In hopes that this would help future applicants:

NAQ was 26.97. This was really surprising, as I filled all spaces available for all sections (5 awards, 3 leadership, 3 service, 5 capacity to work with others, 3 high performances, etc.) with strong experiences (in other words, I prioritized my experiences to fill all spaces, and I grouped multiple experiences into one slot). None of them were space-fillers.

NAQ included: founder of organization (npo), founder of 2 clubs, founder of conference & other initiatives (including charitable ones), global health involvements, abroad volunteering, hospital volunteering, very strong music (over 15 years, multiple concertmaster positions), sports, leadership positions in over 5 clubs, 6 research labs (with pubs), over 6 years of teaching (including MCAT instructor &TA), doctor shadowing (multiple), travelling (with travel grant), 6 conference talks, 5 academic awards (5 was the limit) and 2 service awards, 4 employments. I'm not posting my high performances (to remain anonymous) but they were quite beyond what's expected for undergrads.

I basically thought that I had well-rounded set of experiences, and I edited my descriptions many times (also including what I learned and how those make me more suitable for medicine). I have extensive research, non-academic (music, sports), extensive teaching and extensive leadership. 27 really shocked me.

Best of luck to everyone else!

OOP, normal deadline

In hopes that this would help future applicants:

NAQ was 26.97. This was really surprising, as I filled all spaces available for all sections (5 awards, 3 leadership, 3 service, 5 capacity to work with others, 3 high performances, etc.) with strong experiences (in other words, I prioritized my experiences to fill all spaces, and I did grouped multiple experiences into one slot). None of them were space-fillers.

NAQ included: founder of organization (npo), founder of 2 clubs, founder of conference & other initiatives (including charitable ones), global health involvements, abroad volunteering, hospital volunteering, very strong music, sports, leadership positions in over 5 clubs, 6 research labs (with pubs), over 6 years of teaching (including MCAT instructor), doctor shadowing (multiple), travelling (with travel grant), 6 conference talks, 5 academic awards (5 was the limit) and 2 service awards, 4 employments. I'm not posting my high performances (to remain anonymous) but they were quite beyond what's expected for undergrads.

I basically thought that I had well-rounded set of experiences, and I edited my descriptions many times (also including what I learned and how those make me more suitable for medicine). I have extensive research, non-academic (music, sports), extensive teaching and extensive leadership. 27 really shocked me.

Best of luck to everyone else!

Sorry to hear that dr2014, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere with those ECs! Could you post your AQ and TFR as well? Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who have kindly shared their scores. Could everyone also try to include in their timestamp?

And also, can you guys compare the confirmed scores (AQ, NAQ & TFR) with the ones showed in your account several days ago? Please let us know which one was correct in the account.

Thanks a lot!

NAQ was 26.97. This was really surprising, as I filled all spaces available for all sections (5 awards, 3 leadership, 3 service, 5 capacity to work with others, 3 high performances, etc.) with strong experiences (in other words, I prioritized my experiences to fill all spaces, and I grouped multiple experiences into one slot). None of them were space-fillers.

Why were you surprised exactly?

Your NAQ score was definitely higher than the average NAQ in the stats. We have no how they are normalizing all the scores this year. For all we know a 26.97 is an extreme outlier. Just look at all the NAQ posted so far. Yours is the highest yet, and maybe it will be the highest ever. WE JUST DON'T KNOW!

Were you expecting you should get a 40 or 50? No reason to be surprised or get down on yourself based on assumptions. I know everyone loves to jump to the conclusion that somehow the new scoring system is suppose to reward ECs over GPA, but that is all just a bunch of speculations without a shred of evidence (yet).

Your NAQ score was definitely higher than the average NAQ in the stats. We have no how they are normalizing all the scores this year. For all we know a 26.97 is an extreme outlier. Just look at all the NAQ posted so far. Yours is the highest yet, and maybe it will be the highest ever. WE JUST DON'T KNOW!

Were you expecting you should get a 40 or 50? No reason to be surprised or get down on yourself based on assumptions. I know everyone loves to jump to the conclusion that somehow the new scoring system is suppose to reward ECs over GPA, but that is all just a bunch of speculations without a shred of evidence (yet).

I thought the average NAQ for interviewees was 30.74..

I wasn't expecting 40 or 50, but I thought that I would get around 30-34, given that avg OOP interviewed NAQ was 32.41. I haven't seen other people's scores yet, so I suppose I wasn't entirely informed. I do, however, know quite a few UBC med graduates, and a lot of OOPs who have interviewed at UBC in the past, so I based my predictions on NAQ scores based on what I know of their ECs. Comparing is bad, I know, but it's all I had to work with.

I apologize if my reaction insulted anyone :)

According to this the average NAQ for applicants invited to interview was 30.74. The average NAQ of all applicants was 25.05.

Archived