Premed 101 Forums

2013/2014 UBC interview: rejection or invite

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand why they are spending time to change last year's scores. In another word, they should not change them as they were from the old rules.

Since they're email mentioned changes to both NAQ and AQ, and that the changes to the AQ will be the most unexpected, it may mean that the AQ scores will change too. Maybe this week they are taking the time to incorporate the new conversion/allocation scheme into their system. So you will likely see changes to the AQ score within this week as well.

On the positive side, if the AQ does change, we can use the scores from last year applicants to figure out their new AQ formula.

Last years scores were put into the system, NAQ is all standardized numbers spit out from a standardization formula. AQ numbers are calculated from a linear formula based on GPA. It seems as if they have either changed the weighting of the NAQ in the total TFR or changed the standardization formula. However, it doesnt really matter because the numbers don't add up to the total TFR score so the new numbers are probably meaningless. I assume they changed the program that calculates the NAQ and it applied the new formula to the scores from previous year(s). Nothing to worry about but, this activity in the system may mean that today is the day for interview invites (for early deadline).

Have people gotten rejection emails?

Can we please keep this thread reserved for notification of actual rejection/interview invites? It's getting messy and everyone's nerves are fried enough for exams already.

Discussion for anything related can go here (i.e. idiosyncratic changes to last year's scores) : http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89039

I'm obviously not a mod but this would be really appreciated.

regrets before interview, I hate UBC:

AQ Score 34.51

NAQ Total 16.26

TFR Score 50.77

I guess I will be more prepared next year...

On behalf of the community, we need to get you drunk at this very instance.

Sorry, I thought the humor might help. That is super harsh, but it sounds like you have more interview decisions to look forward to, and have a solid sense of your strengths and weaknesses. It is impossible to fail with that combo.

Invite

Timestamp: 2:26 PM (early deadline)

IP, 3rd year

GPA: 91.5%

ECs: Tons of music (voice, piano, trombone, musical theatre), played water polo (went to nationals) for 10 years (ended in high school though), started grassroots water polo program. 120 hours volunteering at aquarium, 40 hours teaching swimming lessons to kids with disabilities, 40 hours mentoring low income elementary school kids, 30 hours at a clinic. All volunteering is ongoing. Lifeguard and swim instructor for 3+ years, $30 000 in scholarships. Also inculuded some high school leadership stuff be because it was only 2 years ago NO research.

Archived