Premed 101 Forums

2013/2014 UBC interview: rejection or invite

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest levski21

AQ = 26.5

NAQ = 24.7

ECs: lots of music, several diverse jobs, 3 summers of research internships, a year of volunteering in a major hospital and lots of other volunteering at clubs and what not

was expecting a higher NAQ

Well, I am a little shocked to be posting this.

Invited, IP. Late deadline.

aGPA = ~80.5%

NAQ from last year on last year's scale- ~38?

My inbox is full so you can't message me, sorry. :)

Congratulations!!! I saw your article in McLeans and was rooting for you! (Yep, the internet is pretty creepy!)

Got my notification yesterday, but posting now. This forum has been great so I thought i'd give back.

Regrets, IP. Late deadline. 2nd time applicant (invited to interview last year).

aGPA= 89.8

AQ- 32.17

NAQ- 12. 65 (completely shocked by this, I have 5 scholarships, research grants, worked at the hospital, coaching experience, leadership, TA, charity work etc)

TFR: 44.82.

Anyways, looks like i'm going to try to pursue a masters in physiotherapy since my degree is in human kinetics. Maybe in a couple years i'll give it a shot again.

Good luck to everyone!

Got my notification yesterday, but posting now. This forum has been great so I thought i'd give back.

Regrets, IP. Late deadline. 2nd time applicant (invited to interview last year).

aGPA= 89.8

AQ- 32.17

NAQ- 12. 65 (completely shocked by this, I have 5 scholarships, research grants, worked at the hospital, coaching experience, leadership, TA, charity work etc)

Anyways, looks like i'm going to try to pursue a masters in physiotherapy since my degree is in human kinetics. Maybe in a couple years i'll give it a shot again.

Good luck to everyone!

What was your NAQ last cycle?

aGPA= 89.8

AQ- 32.17

Good luck to everyone!

This seems strange indeed. Is there anything that may have potentially been a problem? Maybe a verification contacts have raised some unwarranted flags?

What was your NAQ last year?

This seems strange indeed. Is there anything that may have potentially been a problem? Maybe a verification contacts have raised some unwarranted flags?

My NAQ last year was 23.27. When I looked at my application, I realized my wording wasn't the best. So this year I completely re worded, had a friend who went through UBC med look at my application and make suggestions, and I also added more things to my CV (more volunteer work, 2 more scholarships). I contacted all my verifiers today to see if they were contacted and none of them were...

IP

Regret (Had interview last year. AQ last year 42.50 NAQ 26.01)

AQ this year 29.00 NAQ 15.46. I am totally in shock right now as my NAQ is so low...

Kinda speechless atm

I posted this before. I just wanted to know if there's anyone out there who got rejected had similar NAQ score as me. Because it just doesn't make sense.

something's up with the new NAQ scale.

My NAQ last year was 23.27. When I looked at my application, I realized my wording wasn't the best. So this year I completely re worded, had a friend who went through UBC med look at my application and make suggestions, and I also added more things to my CV (more volunteer work, 2 more scholarships). I contacted all my verifiers today to see if they were contacted and none of them were...

If you look at the rejection posts, you will know that the majority of applicants' NAQ were dropped by 8-10, except some of them with only 5-6 drop. That means, if your NAQ was 26, then this year it is likely 16, and you need to improve it.

When did you submit your application. Was it very close to the normal deadline?

"It doesn't matter to me anyways anymore. What they are "trying to achieve" is to keep people like me out. I don't care, I'm risky because I have a 10% in differential equations from 1998. I know that. That's why I changed my tactics, because it was obvious to me that UBC didn't want me. The fact that UBC got rid of the 10-yr-rule and UofC implemented it means that they value the committment I am willing to make, and see me as having value to the profession."

Interesting you decided to apply again, kylamonkey. Wonder if you get accepted to both UBC or UofC which one you would choose ;) Nevertheless, congrats on your invite and hope it all works out for you!

aGPA ~82%

MCAT 30

non-academics: 12,000 hours spent training as a provincial/national athlete, ~5000 of hours doing community work such as working in a homeless shelter/sikh temple/community events/etc. Violinist for 6 years.

First time applying, and only applied to UBC

Invited for interview

• 3 weeks later...

Archived