• Last Reply

Just got the rejection email.

IP applicant/regular deadline

OGPA: 76.8%

AGPA: 78.51%

AQ score: 14.92

NAQ score: 35.66

TFR score: 50.58

I never expected to get an interview at UBC because they've increasingly focused so much on GPA, so I'm excited I got so close. Provided they calculate GPA the same next year I should get an interview, since I'm currently in an M.Sc. program.

For those wondering extracurrics = a lot of mental health work (~4 years), 4 years of crisis line volunteering/mentoring, a lot of travel, some music/sports, and general volunteering at hospitals, seniors' groups, etc.

Hey,

I'm an OOP applicant who met the early deadline, but have not heard anything yet, nor has my interview decision status been updated on the OAS.

Are there any other early deadline applicants who have not heard anything yet? Kind of makes me think I'm waiting for a rejection given the wording on their website:

Applicants who submit, by August 15, the application and all supporting documents normally required by September 16 and who are invited to interview (meaning not necessarily including those who met the early deadline and are rejected) will receive an interview invitation one day early

It's confusing because I know of applicants who did not meet the early deadline, or who's applicants were in ineligible, who heard back last night. Really hoping that at this point, no news remains good news..! Would love to hear from other early deadline applicants who may not have heard anything yet though. Thanks in advance!

I submitted early and still havent heard anything

Status: Regret - IP - Engineering, Third Year - Second Year Engineering

Regular Deadline

GPA: 88.43

AQ: 30.03

NAQ: 20.26

EC: Many years of Volunteering in Inner city, hospital, school club, couple things here and there.

First time applicant, I rushed through because I didn't realize how long it takes. I've been told my descriptions were kind of bad. Can't do volunteering anymore now that I'm entering full engineering course load and keeping GPA. :/ Guess i'm out of the running.

Regular Deadline

GPA: 88.4

TFR: 50.29

EC: Many years of Volunteering in Inner city, hospital, school clubs, couple things here and there.

First time applicant, I rushed through because I didn't realize how long it takes. I've been told my descriptions were kind of bad. Can't do volunteering anymore now that I'm entering full engineering course load and keeping GPA. :/ Guess i'm out of the running.

Could you please post your AQ and NAQ scores?

Your EC's sound great - it may have been the wording like you mentioned and that's something that can be easily worked on for the next cycle. And thank you for the post.

IP Reject. Non-Early submission

Currently in 4th year, BSc. (Disabled student - non-physical reasons)

oGPA - 81.24 [1st,2nd,3rd year] | MCAT 10,08,10,O

AQ Score - 19.08

NAQ - 24.32

TFR - 43.40

EC:

- Part time work -weekend evenings only- since grade 11.*

- Vol. with autistic kid (40 h)*

- Vol. tutor @ free tutoring center (2 years)*

- ER Vol (3 years)*

- Taking the disabled on hikes (3 years)

- Vol Rehab assist. (80 hr)

- Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer (2 days)

- Research assistance @ saint pauls hospital (115)*

- Boys and Girls club (110 hours)

- Vol. Pharmacy technition x 2 (25 hours @ each)

- A couple small events volunteer

- 2 organic chemistry scholarships.

*I am still there

My final thoughts: Will apply again, lowest year will get dropped! I think maybe some of the verifiers didn't verify it (ie. the pharmacy people)... and could definitely improve the wording. I strickly just write only my tasks on the Description box... I seriously thought my NAQ would have been above the average applicant, given that UBC values long term commitment to things. I realized I did do a semester of part-time, but didn't fill out why... =/ totally pass by me.

No interview invite. A bit confused..... I am a Canadian studying in the US and have gotten interview invites from Harvard, Wash. U. Yale, Duke, Cornell, U Chicago, Northwestern, Emory and on and on....but I just got rejected pre-interview by UBC. Don't get me wrong. UBC is great, but I guess I expected an interview. OOP btw.

Academic Score: ~36 (again, how do they calculate this? I have a 4.0 GPA and a ~38 MCAT... would have thought that this would be a higher score).

Non-academic score: ~20 (I was under the impression that my extracurriculars were the strongest part of my application.) My interviewers in the US have commented favorably on them. Again, not sure what happened here. Maybe someone can comment on what UBC is looking for.

Maybe they realized that I was applying as a backup? I've already garnered acceptances in the US and will most likely be staying here for medical school. Would have been nice to return to Canada, but apparently the schools don't want me :/

Regular Deadline

GPA: 88.43

AQ: 30.03

NAQ: 20.26

EC: Many years of Volunteering in Inner city, hospital, school club, couple things here and there.

You have my respect for applying to med school from engineering. You guys take 30% higher course load than typical full-time applicant, but you still have to compete on the same GPA scale as everyone else... not to mention most engineering courses are freaking insanely hard.

Keep at it. Engineers make outstanding MDs.

Based on the Deflation of AQ scores (above someone with a 91% had 35 AQ), i think this is the year for non-traditional students to get in, with lower AQ scores but higher NAQ scores.

No. If anything, people with 90%+ GPAs are scoring higher AQ scores than ever (relatively).

It used to be that the AQ score would saturate at 90%, so it didn't matter if you had 92 or 95%. But now, people with a 94% GPA are getting untouchable AQ scores.

Also, check the interim stats. The NAQ score has been deflated as well, and the total TFR for interview threshold has been reduced.

IP Reject. Non-Early submission

Currently in 4th year, BSc. (Disabled student - non-physical reasons)

oGPA - 81.24 [1st,2nd,3rd year] | MCAT 10,08,10,O

AQ Score - 19.08

NAQ - 24.32

TFR - 43.40

EC:

- Part time work -weekend evenings only- since grade 11.*

- Vol. with autistic kid (40 h)*

- Vol. tutor @ free tutoring center (2 years)*

- ER Vol (3 years)*

- Taking the disabled on hikes (3 years)

- Vol Rehab assist. (80 hr)

- Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer (2 days)

- Research assistance @ saint pauls hospital (115)*

- Boys and Girls club (110 hours)

- Vol. Pharmacy technition x 2 (25 hours @ each)

- A couple small events volunteer

- 2 organic chemistry scholarships.

*I am still there

My final thoughts: Will apply again, lowest year will get dropped! I think maybe some of the verifiers didn't verify it (ie. the pharmacy people)... and could definitely improve the wording. I strickly just write only my tasks on the Description box... I seriously thought my NAQ would have been above the average applicant, given that UBC values long term commitment to things. I realized I did do a semester of part-time, but didn't fill out why... =/ totally pass by me.

I feel sorry for you, but stay strong you still have a year. I was wondering did you elaborate on hte challenges you faced because of your disability and how you overcame them in the "Extenuating circumstances" category?

Please answer here if you can http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89039

Academic Score: ~36 (again, how do they calculate this? I have a 4.0 GPA and a ~38 MCAT... would have thought that this would be a higher score).

Non-academic score: ~20 (I was under the impression that my extracurriculars were the strongest part of my application.) My interviewers in the US have commented favorably on them. Again, not sure what happened here. Maybe someone can comment on what UBC is looking for.

Are you a BC resident?

If not, then don't be surprised. Getting into UBC as a non-BC resident is extremely competitive.

About 650 out of province students applied to UBC last year for about only 30 seats. That translates to a 4% admission rate.

Right up there with the admission rate of Harvard, arguably one of the planet's most prestigious medical schools.

No. If anything, people with 90%+ GPAs are scoring higher AQ scores than ever (relatively).

It used to be that the AQ score would saturate at 90%, so it didn't matter if you had 92 or 95%. But now, people with a 94% GPA are getting untouchable AQ scores.

Also, check the interim stats. The NAQ score has been deflated as well, and the total TFR for interview threshold has been reduced.

I agree with advair. Before, the difference in AQ between some with an 80% average vs 90%+ average was nearly (if not totally) impossible to overcome through NAQ. Now, it make a difference on only ~15-20 points, which isn't nearly as bad with the current spread of NAQ either.

I agree with advair, before, the difference in AQ between some with an 80% average vs 90%+ average was nearly impossible to overcome through NAQ. Now, it make a difference on only ~15-20 points, which isn't nearly as bad with the current spread of NAQ either.

But the NAQ scale has shifted just as much as the AQ score.

For all we know, it is now as impossible to get a 50 NAQ as getting a 50 AQ.

Are you a BC resident?

If not, then don't be surprised. Getting into UBC as a non-BC resident is extremely competitive.

About 650 out of province students applied to UBC last year for about only 30 seats. That translates to a 4% admission rate.

Right up there with the admission rate of Harvard, arguably one of the planet's most prestigious medical schools.

There were almost 200 more OOP applicants this cycle compared to the last. Meanwhile only one more OOP invite was given (81 vs 80). http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2013/12/Interim-Statistics-2013-14-MED-2018-FINAL.pdf I appreciate UBC's transparency regarding the release of global applicant stats.

It's difficult to guage where one's deficiencies lie on the NAQ side though. I too would love some input as to what UBC is really looking for.

Archived