Premed 101 Forums

2013/2014 UBC interview: rejection or invite

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasn't expecting 40 or 50, but I thought that I would get around 30-34, given that avg OOP interviewed NAQ was 32.41. I haven't seen other people's scores yet, so I suppose I wasn't entirely informed. I do, however, know quite a few UBC med graduates, and a lot of OOPs who have interviewed at UBC in the past, so I based my predictions on NAQ scores based on what I know of their ECs. Comparing is bad, I know, but it's all I had to work with.

I apologize if my reaction insulted anyone :)

I stand corrected, as I only noticed yours was the highest NAQ on this thread yet.

Again, OOPs have it super tough in general, especially this year, so don't read anything into this rejection. Based on this year's numbers, you have a higher chance of getting into Harvard than into UBC.

I stand corrected, as I only noticed yours was the highest NAQ on this thread yet.

Again, OOPs have it super tough in general, especially this year, so don't read anything into this rejection. Based on this year's numbers, you have a higher chance of getting into Harvard than into UBC.

Haha, I sure hope so since I applied to Harvard. No hopes, but it'd be quite hilarious if I did get an interview from them. I'll be sure to let you guys know.

I wasn't expecting 40 or 50, but I thought that I would get around 30-34, given that avg OOP interviewed NAQ was 32.41. I haven't seen other people's scores yet, so I suppose I wasn't entirely informed. I do, however, know quite a few UBC med graduates, and a lot of OOPs who have interviewed at UBC in the past, so I based my predictions on NAQ scores based on what I know of their ECs. Comparing is bad, I know, but it's all I had to work with.

i was thinking that with your EC it should be somewhere in the mid 30s, since applicant pool's NAQ is 25 and interviewed applicant's NAQ is 30.x

idk..i mean ur naq is so impressive imo

Invited: IP (timestamp: 4:24 PM PST), regular deadline

Was invited for interview last year with following scores:

Adjusted GPA: 84.5%

AQ: 31

NAQ: 31

Have MSc. and a couple years of professional work experience

Do you mind to tell us which score that showed in your account several ago was correct?

Dear dr2014,

You're not alone in your thinking - I was shocked after reading your details about your NAQ too. Personally, I don't think you need to apologize for stating your opinion and reaction - they were respectful and thoughtful. I totally feel for you.

Hopefully Harvard (and any other school you applied to) will accept you =)

All the best,

BB

Thanks, BB. Best of luck to you as well:)

Dear dr2014,

You're not alone in your thinking - I was shocked after reading your details about your NAQ too. Personally, I don't think you need to apologize for stating your opinion and reaction - they were respectful and thoughtful. I totally feel for you.

Hopefully Harvard (and any other school you applied to) will accept you =)

All the best,

BB

I got an interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19:24 Montreal Time, OOP, regular deadline

Really couldn't say where I stand, but looks like things were good enough!!

I can not imagine my GPA being the greater of my two scores. MCAT 36Q (11 PS, 12 BS, 13 VR)

In my application, I spoke at length about how I've been interested in working in the north and with our first nations, however, I have little experience with this, and have only really begun investigating it. Maybe this caught the eye of the reviewers?

I look forward to meeting everyone at interview, and rubbing shoulders with *the other 80* :D

Interview, OOP.

aGPA: 89.5%, MCAT 35 (13PS, 12BS, 10VR).

ECs: Lots of research (since 2nd year, full-time summer, NSERC, research exchange at UBC, 3rd author in intl journal, couple conferences), long term work with a charity group that lead to an exec position/board of directors, mentoring, TAing.

Pretty stoked on meeting some of you wonderful people. Even more stoked on post-invite OOP statistics.

Regret IP.

Fourth year of school but I took a term off and then transferred schools so im doing an extra year.

AQ 25

NAQ 14

Avg of 82 credits before this year was 85.4

MCAT was 10/10/11vr

Most dissapointed with NAQ as ive always considered myself a well rounded person. I suppose it is that I havent done a single EC for a prolonged period of time

I got an interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my application, I spoke at length about how I've been interested in working in the north and with our first nations, however, I have little experience with this, and have only really begun investigating it. Maybe this caught the eye of the reviewers?

Where did you talk about this exactly "at length"? The application didn't give much opportunity to give a personal interest/statement.

Archived