Premed 101 Forums

2013/2014 UBC interview: rejection or invite

Hi all UBC med hopefuls,

I just want to share a word of encouragement with those who were disappointed today. I understand how you feel, as it took me four applications to get accepted, so I urge you to let yourself grief but rest be assured that there's still hope for the next cycle, and the cycles after. Take this time to better prepare yourself and explore life. It will happen, if you keep your head up.

E-hugs.

Muhgel

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all UBC med hopefuls,

I just want to share a word of encouragement with those who were disappointed today. I understand how you feel, as it took me four applications to get accepted, so I urge you to let yourself grief but rest be assured that there's still hope for the next cycle, and the cycles after. Take this time to better prepare yourself and explore life. It will happen, if you keep your head up.

E-hugs.

Muhgel

Thanks for that!

OOP Regrets (4th year undergrad)

Overall Grade Point Average ~93

AQ Score ~37

NAQ Score ~22

TFR Score ~59

EC's/awards included cancer research (1 summer scholarship and current 4th year honours), undergrad renewable scholarship, president of student society, university rowing club athlete, volunteer at children's hospital (4 years), Canada Games athlete, national/award winning employed coach, volunteer coach for disabled athletes, tutor, and vocalist. All my activities were of long duration and high quality. However, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten an interview if I described them better. I barely elaborated on them due to the character limit.

But UBC wasn't my top choice, so hopefully I have chances with my other schools!

Congrats to invitees, and good luck to everyone!

I got rejected.

IP

AQ 90% (~32)

NAQ went down from last year below 20, last year I had 26.

I am confused, for the people that got invites, could you please list some of the things you accomplished for NAQ. I honestly don't know what to do.

I have experiences with volunteering as tutor, hospital, clubs, worked in a lab and with a biotech company. I honestly don't know what UBC is looking for in terms of NAQ and we are just suppose to accept it like the Vancouverites that we are where everything happens around us, e.g. the increase in properties taxes, and we just passively talk about it or ignore and continue to do nothing.

All the best to everyone.

I posted this on this link originally http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=889035#post889035

I got rejected.

IP

AQ 90% (~32)

NAQ went down from last year below 20, last year I had 26.

I am confused, for the people that got invites, could you please list some of the things you accomplished for NAQ. I honestly don't know what to do.

I have experiences with volunteering as tutor, hospital, clubs, worked in a lab and with a biotech company. I honestly don't know what UBC is looking for in terms of NAQ and we are just suppose to accept it like the Vancouverites that we are where everything happens around us, e.g. the increase in properties taxes, and we just passively talk about it or ignore and continue to do nothing.

All the best to everyone.

I posted this on this link originally http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=889035#post889035

Sometimes depends on how you word NAQ in the application.

This will be my fourth interview. Persistent little bugger ain't I?

IP

B.Sc. grad few years ago

Last year's stats (adjusted slightly for anonymity):

aGPA 87.5

AQ Score 41

NAQ Score 29

TFR Score 70

MCAT 29N

Interview Score: Below Average - Average

If you're curious about my EC's shoot me a PM. They're not mainstream but seem to translate well.

Where did you talk about this exactly "at length"? The application didn't give much opportunity to give a personal interest/statement.

Wasn't there an entire section that talked about rural, remote and northern interests?

Essentially, I spoke about some of the things I've done in the past and how they could apply to working in a northern/rural/remote setting. I also mentioned how I was beginning to get involved with different aspects of health promotion, and awareness through clubs and organizations in Montreal, and why I am interested in this.

IP Invite

aGPA: 87.9

Last year's stats: (no interview last year)

AQ:30.5

NAQ:30

ECs include 3 years of coaching minor hockey, 3 years of literacy tutoring, 1 year of tutoring in a maximum security prison, 6 months of volunteering at 2 different medical centres (some exposure to patient care), many years of high level hockey and football (provincial championships) and many other sports and music experience.

I found this thread helpful in previous years so I wanted to contribute. Some numbers are slightly adjusted/rounded off for anonymity.

First time applicant, IP, regular deadline, time stamp 4:24pm

AGPA: ~88%

Prereq: ~84%

NAQ: I thought this was my weak point but I guess it was sufficient (at least for interview). One long term (3.5 years), a lot of short term gigs (~50 hours over a few months) that are considered non-traditional probably (music, poetry, etc), some research, honors thesis, part time job throughout undergrad (15-20 hrs/week), no hospital or health-related volunteer.

I have been out of school for a year and I am currently working in retail.

This year was definitely less predictable than previous years in terms of interview invitations.

IP invite! Regular deadline (time 4:24 PST)

Third time applying to UBC, first time getting an interview.

2012/2013

aGPA: 78.65%

AQ: 12.16

NAQ: 39.16

TFR: 51.32

MCAT: 28O

Edit: For my NAQ, I volunteered with a hospice (500+ hours over 3 years), two hospitals (250+ hours each over 2 years), was the President of one off-campus service club (member for several years) and part of many UBC clubs. I have also been volunteering as a snowboard and tennis instructor for quite some time (I also listed these two under employment). I have a few awards from my senior year of high school, but there wasn't much in that category. I spent a couple of years working in research labs but did not get any publications sadly. Apart from these I have a lot of sports and athletic activities on my own and with teams (e.g. soccer, tennis, etc.). Finally, I work as a medic with the Canadian Reserve Forces. There's a few things I missed here and there, but that's the gist of my NAQ activities. Good luck to everyone else!

IP

2nd time applicant, (no interview, missed cut-off by 1 point if I remember correctly) AQ was fine last time, NAQ was low. I think the formula has changed twice since then...

I have no idea what my stats are as I kind of blindly reapplied this year without really calculating pre-reqs (not that great), and aGPA. I'd say with my lowest year dropped I'm around 85%, guestimate. MCAT was 27R.

My EC's are much improved, and I have my 4th year undergrad marks taken into account. I trended up over the 4 years.

I'd say I'm very well rounded (yay!), and decently intelligent (not necessarily in the rote memorization way).

Hope that helps for what it's worth, and gives hope to those that don't have the best academic stats.

I-N-V-I-T-E!!!

3rd time applicant, first interview - was considering giving up on UBC so this is HUGE for me and I would just like to say to anyone disappointed by their results this round...Don't give up! They seem to change something in calculating AQ/NAQ every couple of years. If the same rules from last year had been applied this cycle, there's no way I would have received an invite.

~80% aGPA

2012/13 AQ ~16

2012/13 NAQ ~44

I know this is just the next stage in selection and by no means secures me a spot in Med 2018...but still! I will be smiling (and sweating) my way to May 15, 2014 :) :) :)

IP

Regret (Had interview last year. AQ last year 42.50 NAQ 26.01)

AQ this year 29.00 NAQ 15.46. I am totally in shock right now as my NAQ is so low...

Kinda speechless atm

I posted this before. I just wanted to know if there's anyone out there who got rejected had similar NAQ score as me. Because it just doesn't make sense.

A little late posting this, but thought I'd contribute to the stats compilation.

Invite, IP, Early deadline. Time stamp Dec 10, 2:30 pm.

GPA: probably 4.0 and a bit with AGPA

MCAT: 34Q (11VR, 11PS, 12BS)

Last year's stats: 40ish AQ, 20ish NAQ, no invite

ECs: No pubs or research, a few small awards. Lots of volunteering, limited clubs/university events, summer jobs, music & a unique hobby. This year, added an extra activity w. more responsibility to volunteering, kept up with old volunteering, added non-research pub, and listed some informal experiences. Worked hard at improving the wording on ECs.

Archived