Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a person who is likely getting rejected but hasn't yet been, which tells me there are at least some applicants left in their system that clearly don't make the cut. That also seems to support the commonly held belief that applicants are reviewed at random, in which case nothing can be generalized about the quality of applicants who have yet to receive their invites/rejections.

Good luck, and hang in there!

I know a person who is likely getting rejected but hasn't yet been, which tells me there are at least some applicants left in their system that clearly don't make the cut. That also seems to support the commonly held belief that applicants are reviewed at random, in which case nothing can be generalized about the quality of applicants who have yet to receive their invites/rejections.

Good luck, and hang in there!

I don't know if that helps or makes things worse...

Seems like it makes the situation more ambiguous. So if you were expecting a rejection, it makes it better. And if you were expecting an invite, it makes it worse?

Everything is randomness.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I'm still not expecting much action until after this interview weekend.

Wow, just looked up last year's interview thread... >250 posts! Next to 65 for this year. That makes it seem like there are still a LOT of people who haven't heard back.

Also people who didn't receive rejections until 2 days before the last interview weekend.

Last year's thread also contains a lot more discussion posts whereas this year is strictly stats of those who were invited/rejected.

You only have to come to downtown for anatomy labs, which start at 10am. All the lectures are video-conferenced to MAM. Not to mention most of them are recorded so you pretty much don't even have to go to class...:rolleyes:

I sometimes regret not picking MAM, living in Mississauga is so much cheaper than living downtown...

Can anyone provide me with a realistic cost of living in Toronto (e.g.: rent, food (I don't cook a lot))?

Can anyone provide me with a realistic cost of living in Toronto (e.g.: rent, food (I don't cook a lot))?

Rent you are probably looking between 1000 and 2500 per month (+ cable/internet etc.) depending on where you live and if you want to live alone or with others.

Food varies so depending on how frequently you eat out that's probably another 200-500 per month.

Then you will likely also want a TTC pass at approx 100 bucks a month.

So taking just those three things into consideration you are looking around $1750-3000 per month being a little conservative probably.

I would say rent is about 1000-1500+/month depending if you plan to live solo or with a roommate and depending how close to campus/how nice of a place you want. Food is about the same price anywhere, I wouldn't say it's more expensive than any other Canadian city. Toronto has its nice pricey restaurants, but also a lot of great cheaper places to eat. I work dt and spend less than 10 a day on lunch. Having a car can be expensive to park and annoying to drive. I would advise against it if you're looking to save money. Pretty easy to get around with the subway/GO train/buses.

I'm starting to realize just how terrible it must have been for the people last year who strung along until April.

That's just ridiculous. People have to plan certain stuff for the summer/next year ahead of time, and stringing them along either forces them to abandon what they were going to do if they get in (not good for the other parties involved) or hold off on plans just for a simple CHANCE at getting in. I would much rather what every other school has done, ie set a date relatively early and have everything done by then.

That's just ridiculous. People have to plan certain stuff for the summer/next year ahead of time, and stringing them along either forces them to abandon what they were going to do if they get in (not good for the other parties involved) or hold off on plans just for a simple CHANCE at getting in. I would much rather what every other school has done, ie set a date relatively early and have everything done by then.

To be fair, while uoft is late compared to other med schools, most grad programs are a lot later so in terms of life planning/etc, uoft isn't that bad in the big picture. But it is frustrating

To be fair, while uoft is late compared to other med schools, most grad programs are a lot later so in terms of life planning/etc, uoft isn't that bad in the big picture. But it is frustrating

But most grad programs don't have deadlines of October 1st.

I do realize we can't exactly be mad at U of T for taking their time. But you have to wonder if the way they process applications couldn't be more efficient...

But most grad programs don't have deadlines of October 1st.

I do realize we can't exactly be mad at U of T for taking their time. But you have to wonder if the way they process applications couldn't be more efficient...

Sure, if efficiency was their goal, they can easily screen out many applicants by setting an hard cut off for all. But their philosophy is that every application should be looked at as a whole. A minor shortfall in one aspect can be compensated for with another.

Be patient everyone. You have already worked 3 or more years to get to this stage; 2-3weeks more of waiting pales in comparison to that.

Archived