Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

I don't think this info is disclosed to this year's applicants.

From the UofT Interview weekend webpage: "In our new format - which we call the Modified Personal Interview (MPI) - you will have four successive but brief interviews, each with an individual interviewer. Some parts will be open file. Others will not, though it will be clear to you when it is. "

I guess it depends on the station...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we haven't received a rejection yet, I'm assuming that we are either in the "maybe" pile or we haven't been reviewed. Rejections are going out so they're not holding on to people they've decided to reject...

Ugh. The waiting.

I wonder how many people who were once sitting in the "maybe pile" actually end up matriculating.

At least there's olympic hockey to distract us, haha.

I would like to think I'm in the maybe pile, but I know that my references were received by OMSAS late in October. Since OMSAS forwards that part of your application to the different schools once they receive it I think my application might've been put at the end and I'm in the late batch.... I think! :P

From the UofT Interview weekend webpage: "In our new format - which we call the Modified Personal Interview (MPI) - you will have four successive but brief interviews, each with an individual interviewer. Some parts will be open file. Others will not, though it will be clear to you when it is. "

I guess it depends on the station...

Ah I see- thank you for the correction!

In previous years everything was open file. What a radical change to the interview process indeed.

@RedLily

My guess is they use something like the algorithms TV stations use to declare election results long before the final count is in i.e. they give a score to each application and based on the number of reviewed files and the average score they calculate when there is p<0.01 chance that once all files are reviewed that they will end up being in the top 350 or however many interviews they will do.

If I'm right, then the fact that so many people haven't heard back means it is likely a very tightly competitive pool with a lot of close scores.

Both comforting to think that my application may still be alive and frightening to think that my somewhat borderline application is going to be tough to squeak through.

In 2-3 more weeks we will all know. In the mean time I've started studying to re-do my MCAT for the next application cycle.....yikes.

"Dear. "Hockeynut",

Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you an interview.

Queens Medicine"

So 13 but that's a direct quote of my entire email (minus the name of course) hahaha Very informal and made me laugh when I got it.

That's insane! I mean, I guess "short and sweet", but after all the trouble everyone went through to submit an application to them, they could have given you a bit more than that.

Mine was only a few sentences, and they didn't sign it as anything, even "Queens Medicine". I was a bit annoyed, but relatively speaking it appears they went all out for mine.

While we're speaking of rejection letters, this one made me laugh. Written by a high school student whose mom got the letter published in the New York Times in the 90s.

"Dear Harvard,

Having reviewed the many rejection letters I have received in the last few weeks, it is with great regret that I must inform you I am unable to accept your rejection at this time.

This year, after applying to a great many colleges and universities, I received an especially fine crop of rejection letters. Unfortunately, the number of rejections that I can accept is limited.

Each of my rejections was reviewed carefully and on an individual basis. Many factors were taken into account – the size of the institution, student-faculty ratio, location, reputation, costs and social atmosphere.

I am certain that most colleges I applied to are more than qualified to reject me. I am also sure that some mistakes were made in turning away some of these rejections. I can only hope they were few in number.

I am aware of the keen disappointment my decision may bring. Throughout my deliberations, I have kept in mind the time and effort it may have taken for you to reach your decision to reject me.

Keep in mind that at times it was necessary for me to reject even those letters of rejection that would normally have met my traditionally high standards.

I appreciate your having enough interest in me to reject my application. Let me take the opportunity to wish you well in what I am sure will be a successful academic year.

SEE YOU IN THE FALL!

Sincerely,

Paul Devlin

Applicant at Large"

While we're speaking of rejection letters, this one made me laugh. Written by a high school student whose mom got the letter published in the New York Times in the 90s.

"Dear Harvard,

Having reviewed the many rejection letters I have received in the last few weeks, it is with great regret that I must inform you I am unable to accept your rejection at this time.

This year, after applying to a great many colleges and universities, I received an especially fine crop of rejection letters. Unfortunately, the number of rejections that I can accept is limited.

Each of my rejections was reviewed carefully and on an individual basis. Many factors were taken into account – the size of the institution, student-faculty ratio, location, reputation, costs and social atmosphere.

I am certain that most colleges I applied to are more than qualified to reject me. I am also sure that some mistakes were made in turning away some of these rejections. I can only hope they were few in number.

I am aware of the keen disappointment my decision may bring. Throughout my deliberations, I have kept in mind the time and effort it may have taken for you to reach your decision to reject me.

Keep in mind that at times it was necessary for me to reject even those letters of rejection that would normally have met my traditionally high standards.

I appreciate your having enough interest in me to reject my application. Let me take the opportunity to wish you well in what I am sure will be a successful academic year.

SEE YOU IN THE FALL!

Sincerely,

Paul Devlin

Applicant at Large"

Wow I should write something like that to Queens!

"Dear. "Hockeynut",

Queens Medicine"

So 13 but that's a direct quote of my entire email (minus the name of course) hahaha Very informal and made me laugh when I got it.

I appreciated the brevity of their rejection, to be honest. Stupid 9 in verbal >: (

"Dear. "Hockeynut",

Queens Medicine"

wow! When I lost Queens, I had to hunt through the e-mail for the phrase that indicated rejection so I actually think I prefer this one, haha.

Archived