Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

Sure, if efficiency was their goal, they can easily screen out many applicants by setting an hard cut off for all. But their philosophy is that every application should be looked at as a whole. A minor shortfall in one aspect can be compensated for with another.

Be patient everyone. You have already worked 3 or more years to get to this stage; 2-3weeks more of waiting pales in comparison to that.

That's why I like Calgary's system. People above the cutoffs immediately move on to file review.

People below the cutoff get screened by one person, and if they see something they like, they move on to full review.

Best of both worlds. I do feel like Toronto's system is not the fairest to applicants. Which of course, is their prerogative. I just am beginning to become more aware as I go to different interviews, how some schools are more "sensitive" than others to the applicants needs/feelings/whatever.

This is not necessarily a criticism of U of T, and of course I would be happy to go there if they (by some miracle) decided to interview and accept me. It's just one factor that's not my favourite.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the end whatever system gets me an interview is the proper system for the school haha.

I'm just looking forward to my reading and getting a little break. (albeit not from worrying/checking my email haha)

Just curious is anyone here yet to hear really expecting/ not expecting an invite? Just curious if it is a widdled down group of maybes left.

*edit: I mean is your wGPA low or is your MCAT flagged, things like that.

In the end whatever system gets me an interview is the proper system for the school haha.

I'm just looking forward to my reading and getting a little break. (albeit not from worrying/checking my email haha)

Just curious is anyone here yet to hear really expecting/ not expecting an invite? Just curious if it is a widdled down group of maybes left.

I'm not expecting anything, but I set out this cycle hoping I would get invites at Western, Queen's, and UofT so I'm trying to keep my mind on that plan.

Edit to answer edit: No I don't think my wGPA or MCAT should get in the way. Didn't put a lot of effort into the essays though which might be a problem. I haven't read them since submitting though so maybe I'm underestimating them.

I've always considered U of T a long shot for me. My GPA is over 3.9, and my MCAT is fine, but I'm in 3rd year and don't have any research really.

Don't know if that helps, ahah.

Just trying to gauge if maybe we're all the maybes and that's what they're deciding on. I imagine a vast majority of files have gotten the one over. This of course is all just speculation but it keeps me relatively sane.

If you feel bad, I applied MD-PhD which means they've reviewed my application twice now without sending me a decision either way. :confused:

If you feel bad, I applied MD-PhD which means they've reviewed my application twice now without sending me a decision either way. :confused:

I guess it means they didn't like you for the MD-PHD stream. But given your stats I would be very very surprised if you didn't receive an MD invite. I would assume they use different criteria for the MD-PHD stream anyways. I personally think your in great shape. (For whatever that's worth)

quite frankly, i don't expect to get an interview (cGPQ around 3.75, no idea what wGPA is because of pretty complicated transcript with transfer credits), but i do have quite strong extracurriculars and references, and come from a different background, so i'm hoping that might give me some points... but i have yet to hear about anyone with my GPA getting an interview at U of T (4th year applicant)

No flags in my MCAT scores. My wGPA is okay (not the best by far, and my cGPA to be honest suuuucks). I'm a grad applicant though, so GPA minimum is lowered (but you don't see many super-low GPAs getting interviews :P). I think I'm at the point where my cGPA kills me, but wGPA makes me "decent/good"

I applied to uoft for 2012 entry as a fourth year applicant. No interview :(

Now I'm applying for 2014 entry as a masters applicant, a whole new ballgame… interview hopefully?

No flags in my MCAT scores. My wGPA is okay (not the best by far, and my cGPA to be honest suuuucks). I'm a grad applicant though, so GPA minimum is lowered (but you don't see many super-low GPAs getting interviews :P). I think I'm at the point where my cGPA kills me, but wGPA makes me "decent/good"

I applied to uoft for 2012 entry as a fourth year applicant. No interview :(

Now I'm applying for 2014 entry as a masters applicant, a whole new ballgame… interview hopefully?

I'm in the same boat - I'm not sure if I even qualify for their wGPA which makes my cGPA laughable for Toronto. I'm also an MSc applicant.

Fully expecting a rejection, but I've survived this long... Unless I'm in the "haha, I can't believe they actually applied" pile and they're deliberately torturing me.

It looks like they are sending out the last set of invites for March 30. Well, at this point, i'm looking forward to the final nail on the U of T coffin. :(

I hear ya.

I am now going to assume rejection for myself considering the invites are for the 30th. Oh well time to worry about my interviews.

Congrats on everyone interviewing at UofT!

I hear ya.

I am now going to assume rejection for myself considering the invites are for the 30th. Oh well time to worry about my interviews.

Congrats on everyone interviewing at UofT!

Yah, assuming rejection here too. Oh well. Time to prep for Mac (hah who am I kidding, after two MMIs, I'm not going to prep more. I probably should, but oh well) and over analyze what I said at UBC and Calgary.

I'm going to still assume there is a chance..only 2 people posted invites for march 30..usually 10+ people post per date..not gonna give up hope until i get "UT Med Final Decision" or "MD Interviews - UT Med"

It's a long shot, but that's what I'm hoping too. There were more than 2 people posting about invites for interviews for other dates than the Mar 29/30. Just holding onto that little thread of hope!

Archived