Premed 101 Forums

U of Alberta Interview Invites/Regrets 2014

Please post only invites/regrets. Discussion will be here.

Any discussion in this thread will the ported over to the other one so please post only stats here!

It will make it easier for everyone if you guys follow this format as usual:

TIME STAMP: XX:XX

Result: Invite / Reject

GPA:

MCAT: PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs: (if you wish)

Year: UG (what year), Masters, PhD

TIME STAMP: 10:21, February 18th

Result: Rejected

wGPA: 3.48

MCAT: 11/11/13

ECs: Pretty strong. Have worked with at risk youth for 8+ years, done 3 international service trips, volunteer with sick kids, serve as a board director for a historical site, etc. Plus lots of work.

Year: 4th year UG

Geography : IP

I got an interview at U of C, so I am not too upset. Plus, my GPA will be higher next time around.

TIME STAMP: 11:00, February 18th

Result: Invited

wGPA: 3.87

MCAT: Can't remember but about 31

ECs: I would say preety good.

Year: Finishing Masters in Biochem

Geography : IP

Did not get an interview at UofC but really excited about UofA. Looking forward to meeting everyone !!

TIME STAMP: 11:39am EST

Result: Regrets

GPA: 4.00

MCAT: 14/10/13/Q

ECs: Tutoring, TA, exec of a few clubs, hospital shadowing, intramural, band, track and field, volunteer at a retirement home, a few academic awards etc

Year: UG, 4th year

Geography: OOP

Today has been a great day for me though, so I'm not upset. Congrats to those that received invites! :)

Invite

TIME STAMP: 09:39 MT

Result: Invite

GPA: 3.64

MCAT: 14/12/10

ECs: Very much non-trad. Nothing earth shattering, but have been teaching, volunteering (at schools and church) for quite a few years. Minimal, but not non-existent research. Slightly above average according to last year's rejection letter. Exactly average the year before.

Year: IP. BComm and B.Ed.

Very shocked. Third time writing the MCAT this summer, and third time applying at U of A. First interview. Pretty surreal overall. Good luck everyone!

Pretty surprised to be posting this but definitely excited!

TIME STAMP: 8:39 am

GPA: 3.7

MCAT: 31

ECs: Pretty strong I think based on my interview invite success and average GPA :)

Year: Completed UG, a bit non-trad

See you in March!

TIME STAMP: 10:35 am

GPA: 3.47

MCAT: 28

ECs: Quite diverse if you are interested in the details a quick search of my username will exhibit threads where I have listed them in the past.

MSc completed

Pretty excited considering I received a rejection from UofC this year (unlike last year). I was interviewed last 2 years at the UofA and was wailtisted the most recent. This will be my third time applying and I am hoping to get an actual offer this year! Best of luck to everyone who got an offer and to those of you that did not, I know the sting of rejection all to well. All I can say is don't lose faith if this is what you want. I have begun to believe that the process of application has a lot to do with luck and not a reflection of you as an individual or your qualifications and intelligence. Sure there are things that can offset the luck component and reduce some of the subjectivity but ultimately it comes down to who reviews your application and how they feel about you. I have seen some mighty impressive stats both in regards to GPA, MCAT and life experiences that don't always manifest into an interview invite, still be proud of what you have accomplished! I am humbled to be in the company of so many accomplished applicants whether you received an interview or not. We all deserve a chance at our dreams so just keep on applying!!

TIME STAMP: 9:39 AM

Result: Invite!

GPA: 3.97

MCAT: 12 PS/ 10 VR/ 12BS/ (Q)

ECs: Nothing stellar, but a handful that I've been doing for 2+ years at least; some research with some poster presentations and a bunch of abstracts, but no pubs.

Year: 4th year UG

Interviewed last year with no luck, so here's hoping to getting an offer in May this year!

TIME STAMP: 9:39 AM

Invite

GPA: 3.81 - from a local community college, so potential applicants who think they dont have a chance because they are attending one (as i once thought), do not despair!

MCAT: 11PS/10VR/10BS

ECs: a louise mckinney, some research scholarships, 1 pub, a bunch of sports, national/provincial ball hockey tournaments, coaching hockey, and a variety of volunteer work

Year: UG completed

Archived