Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Party!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling we'll get something tomorrow or Monday. A friend said that a few years ago, the e-mails used to explicitly say there would be very little waitlist movement before the 2 weeks were up but ours said nothing like that.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the useful info, it would be really nice to meet some of you in person if we end up in some of the same schools.

What are the chances of getting off the high wait-list at western? And I thought that the medical schools will have to wait at least 2 weeks before sending out offers since that is the deadline for accepting an offer right? so how can the waitlist move tomorrow?

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the useful info, it would be really nice to meet some of you in person if we end up in some of the same schools.

What are the chances of getting off the high wait-list at western? And I thought that the medical schools will have to wait at least 2 weeks before sending out offers since that is the deadline for accepting an offer right? so how can the waitlist move tomorrow?

I would also love to hang out with my fellow premed101'ers, regardless if we get in or not :)

The high wait-list at western is pretty much an acceptance. From what I know everyone on the high wait-list gets an offer.

Hey guys,

I would also love to hang out with my fellow premed101'ers, regardless if we get in or not :)

The high wait-list at western is pretty much an acceptance. From what I know everyone on the high wait-list gets an offer.

This is what I've heard too. In the past 4 years, every single person on Western's high waitlist has gotten an offer. Offers for the Western waitlist come out in June though (the 6th if I remember correctly - someone correct me if i'm wrong). In other words if Western's your first choice, it'd be best to wait before making any decisions about mac!

Declined my spot at the Niagara campus in favour of UofT today. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

Thanks for letting us know! Have fun at UofT

Maybe I was wrong about movement today, it's already 2 pm and no one's posted anything.

Declined my spot at the Niagara campus in favour of UofT today. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

Thanks famdoc!

Sarvish, looking at last years thread, only person to post WL movement had a time stamp of 6:30PM. So there is still hope! But not much, I'm sure most movement will begin on Tuesday

Oh man someone just posted a rejection in the accept/waitlist/reject thread. Made my heart jump

I know, right? And that person already posted one 2 posts above. If we don't hear anything today, it's going to be a long weekend followed by scares from every e-mail on the weekdays.

Yesterday was the Convocation ceremony for the Class of 2014, so pretty much no one was in the MD office all day, as far as I know (we had a lecturer not show up in the morning, and someone went up to ask what we should do and the place was a ghost town). Maybe Monday? (I have no actual information, other than the fact that almost everyone was out of office yesterday.)

Good luck to everyone waiting! Hopefully WL offers start going out soon.

Yesterday was the Convocation ceremony for the Class of 2014, so pretty much no one was in the MD office all day, as far as I know (we had a lecturer not show up in the morning, and someone went up to ask what we should do and the place was a ghost town). Maybe Monday? (I have no actual information, other than the fact that almost everyone was out of office yesterday.)

Good luck to everyone waiting! Hopefully WL offers start going out soon.

Thanks for the update! I think 2 years ago the movement started just after 5 pm on the day before the 2 week deadline so that would be Monday for us.

I also heard that there were 250 rejections sent out from a friend of someone who works with admissions. I can't be 100% sure about that number though and the number of people who posted about being on the wait-list here is higher than I would've expected for only 100 spots. Also doesn't seem safe to only have 100 spots when a lot of people wait-listed would probably also decline for other schools. So I guess what I'm saying is, that number isn't going to help calm us down in any way and we can continue with our normal paranoia.

Thanks for the update! I think 2 years ago the movement started just after 5 pm on the day before the 2 week deadline so that would be Monday for us.

I also heard that there were 250 rejections sent out from a friend of someone who works with admissions. I can't be 100% sure about that number though and the number of people who posted about being on the wait-list here is higher than I would've expected for only 100 spots. Also doesn't seem safe to only have 100 spots when a lot of people wait-listed would probably also decline for other schools. So I guess what I'm saying is, that number isn't going to help calm us down in any way and we can continue with our normal paranoia.

In my opinion 250 rejections sounds like too much. I don't think that leaves enough people in the wait-list to fill up the class, especially considering that mac has a pretty big wait-list movement. But then, if that's the actual number of rejections, that means the wait-listess have a very good chance of getting in :)

Just declined my offer to McMaster in favour of U of C! Good luck to those waiting! :)

Thanks for the notification. The wait-list party really appreciates the update :D

Hey guys

Just starting to get a little bit nervous before next week begins. I am wondering, do the medical schools call you or send you emails to inform you have got off the wait list? I think Western says they call students, but not sure for the other schools.

GL for everyone on the wait list, hope we get off soon!

Hey guys

Just starting to get a little bit nervous before next week begins. I am wondering, do the medical schools call you or send you emails to inform you have got off the wait list? I think Western says they call students, but not sure for the other schools.

GL for everyone on the wait list, hope we get off soon!

It's email for now. They could potentially call as it gets closer to the end of the summer.

Fingers crossed many of us hear good news this week! I have come to terms that there is a strong possibility that I will have to apply again, but I still have a small bit of hope left... not sure if that's a good thing.

PS. whenever anyone posts in the accepted/waitlisted/rejected thread I basically have a heart attack! I am way too anxious.

250 rejections is an interesting number. That would leave about 302 in the pool for about 203 enrolled. This leaves about 100 at most in the waitlist. As such, it leaves little room for those who decline an acceptance and those that withdraw from the waitlist. However, McMaster DOES have 3-4 years of data with this class size and can reasonably predict how big of a waitlist is required for the class.

Ultimately, I am skeptical of that number. It is too tight and there's little incentive for the adcom to make a smaller waitlist. I am more inclined to believe the waitlist is about a 145 -- a number posted from a thread years ago.

Yeah, I was skeptical of the number as well. Does sound tight if people estimate ~60 spots of movement considering a decent number probably has offers somewhere else.

Then again, I'm sure the amount of waitlist movement doesn't change that much from year to year and they can probably make a very good guess as to how much it moves. I wouldn't be surprised if 70%+ of the wait list hears good news.

Archived