Premed 101 Forums

Does Facebook depress anyone else?

Lost&Found

I (and others) find it a little depressing at times too. Reason being for some people, is that you're basically seeing nothing but the highlights of everyone else's lives, making you seem more like you don't "measure up". I don't look at the news feed much.

It's been a while since I saw anything worthwhile from anyone beyond my closest group of friends. For me, it's mostly a way to share funny things and chat with a select few.

Totally this - a lot of my friends are scattered across the country; so how else will I share my latest funnies and news items with them?

Seems many of you don't look at your news feed which is interesting because that's the one thing I do look at :$ seems like everyone else is moving forward in life -- getting into medical school, getting a job, getting married -- and I'm stuck in the same place. I'm happy for them but can't help but compare. Was just wondering if anyone else feels like this but I guess avoiding the news feed is a good strategy

Yes, I have always had a dislike for facebook. It breeds narcissism and self-centredness, and is hardly a snap shot of the average persons life. A couple good reads related to this are, "Narcissism epidemic" and "Generation Me" by Jean Twenge, PhD.

Unfortunately, I still use it for keeping in touch with friends all over the world and it is quite useful in communicating with our med school class to organize social events etc.... So most of my time is spent using private messaging and in private groups.

The worst is arguing (debating) something on facebook......

Oddly, a lot of my friends that are professionals, teachers, police, pharmacist, docs etc.. have gotten rid of FB. I may once I finish med school, we shall see.

I think it depends who you have on your Facebook, and what you tolerate.

I have 68 friends on Facebook, and I do not add family, which cuts down on family drama.

I'm at that age where, as the meme I saw recently said, half my friends are getting married and having babies and the other half are too drunk to find their phones. Many of my friends are in their fifties and sixties and have kids my age, so there's that too.

Facebook is useful for me to keep in touch with my friends. I don't abide drama at all - anyone who is a drama magnet just gets quietly unfriended. I make sure it stays a pleasant place for me, it'd be a waste of time otherwise, and so no, I don't find it depressing.

I have 68 friends on Facebook, and I do not add family, which cuts down on family drama.

I'm at that age where, as the meme I saw recently said, half my friends are getting married and having babies and the other half are too drunk to find their phones. Many of my friends are in their fifties and sixties and have kids my age, so there's that too.

Facebook is useful for me to keep in touch with my friends. I don't abide drama at all - anyone who is a drama magnet just gets quietly unfriended. I make sure it stays a pleasant place for me, it'd be a waste of time otherwise, and so no, I don't find it depressing.

I'm curious about your age (not that I'm asking), and curious if I just know the wrong people, because I am definitely in that same area... :confused:

I'm curious about your age (not that I'm asking), and curious if I just know the wrong people, because I am definitely in that same area... :confused:

I'm 27, but was the first to get married and start a family by a long shot (at 19) so I'm a bit atypical in that area.

Oddly, a lot of my friends that are professionals, teachers, police, pharmacist, docs etc.. have gotten rid of FB. I may once I finish med school, we shall see.

Not a fb fan. But most residents continue to use it with security ramped up. Many change their fb name as well around CaRMS... Depending on the size of your residency program it can be pretty key in organizing socially. Then you have all your med school peeps all over the country. It can be hard to fully disconnect.

That sounds a lot like my Facebook - about 80% of my friends are the having babies and families and married and careers and houses though.

Maybe I'll purchase a cat.

Not a fb fan. But most residents continue to use it with security ramped up. Many change their fb name as well around CaRMS... Depending on the size of your residency program it can be pretty key in organizing socially. Then you have all your med school peeps all over the country. It can be hard to fully disconnect.

Agreed. Definitely useful but have been just too lazy to go through all the security stuff...

Archived