Interview Invite & Regrets Thread 2014-2015

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIME STAMP: 14:42

Result: Reject

GPA: 83.55

MCAT: 8/10/14

ECs: Hospital volunteering, pianist, tennis, exec in several business clubs, TAing

Early/Regular Deadline: Regular deadline

Year: 4th year UG

Geography: IP 

NAQ (For those with regrets): 30.10

AQ (For those with regrets): 22.49

TFR: 52.59

Not surprised I got rejected. VERY surprised at NAQ, when compared to everyone else's. These forums always made me feel like my ECs are pathetic, but apparently I don't suck as much as I thought?

Wow. That was close. A 0.06 difference.

It must be hard to be at this position. So sorry to hear that it did not work out for you. 

TIME STAMP: 14:45

GPA: 83.63

MCAT: 10/08/11:O

ECs: research, vol, lots of others

Early/Regular Deadline: Regular

Year: BSc. May 2014

AQ (For those with regrets): 22.61

NAQ (For those with regrets): 27.44

TFR: 50.05

NO!!!!!!! SO CLOSE!!

Last year AQ: 19.08 (81%), NAQ: was 24.10

Wow so they're sending IP rejects today too? 

TIME STAMP: 14:42

GPA: 83.55

MCAT: 8/10/14

ECs: Hospital volunteering, pianist, tennis, exec in several business clubs, TAing

NAQ (For those with regrets): 30.10

AQ (For those with regrets): 22.49

TFR: 52.59

Not surprised I got rejected. VERY surprised at NAQ, when compared to everyone else's. These forums always made me feel like my ECs are pathetic, but apparently I don't suck as much as I thought?

So close, best of luck for next year!  The TFR was 52.65. That is mind blowing how close you are, that in itself is an amazing feat, so keep your chin up and you'll get an interview next year!

Seriously, to all of you out there receiving news, do NOT let one school's application process or what people post on forums negatively formulate thoughts into your head about your worth and value. Ya'll are all accomplished individuals in your own rights :)  

@skepticalstudent goes to show that don't take Pm101 too serious, your NAQ score shows you have excellent ECs and personal involvements. 

For rejected OOP MD/PhDs:

I spoke with Dr. Raymond just now. There were 50 applicants for 4 spots - super competitive. As OOPs we're competing with an 8% chance of getting an interview invite compared to IPs that had a ~40% chance. So don't take it to heart if you didn't get an invite. If you got an interview, hats off to you and may you succeed as physicians and humans.

I had a 33 for my NAQs, which seems to be above average from what I gather from here and also would've had an interview had I been an IP. Feel free to message me or I'll just post in a different forum what my activities were briefly if there's sufficient interest.

Thanks

For those with high NAQs, could you please share with us more details about your ECs? It would a huge help for those of us who have received very low NAQ scores and feel confused. Thank you in advance. 

I think there are specific activities they look for. My application consisted mainly of research activities, which is why I am interested in an MD/PhD program. Would this be something UBC does not value very much? It seems like it from what I can tell from the posts on the forum so far... 

It is also possible that the way descriptions were formatted and worded had a large impact. Is there a specific way any of you descried your activities? 

I gave a few points about the tasks and a few points about the impact of the activity (when feasible).  

For rejected OOP MD/PhDs:

I spoke with Dr. Raymond just now. There were 50 applicants for 4 spots - super competitive. As OOPs we're competing with an 8% chance of getting an interview invite compared to IPs that had a ~40% chance. So don't take it to heart if you didn't get an invite. If you got an interview, hats off to you and may you succeed as physicians and humans.

I had a 33 for my NAQs, which seems to be above average from what I gather from here and also would've had an interview had I been an IP. Feel free to message me or I'll just post in a different forum what my activities were briefly if there's sufficient interest.

Thanks

Thank you. This is really helpful. I have sent you a PM

TIME STAMP: 5:42 pm
GPA: 89.19
MCAT: 10/10/12
ECs: some research, little clinical research, hospital volunteering, club exec, rep baseball player, community volunteering, volunteer trip to africa fer 1month, some employment, etc.
Early/Regular Deadline: reg
Year: UG completed
Geography: OOOOP

NAQ (For those with regrets): 22.74

AQ (For those with regrets): 30.91

TFR: 53.65

So to stand a decent chance for an interview invite next yr, I would have to increase my NAQ score by more than 15 points.

Would this even be possible within a year? There's not much I can do about my AQ since im done school...:(

TIME STAMP: 7:19 EST (so 4:19 local)
GPA: 86.9
MCAT: 11/11/11
ECs: too sad to list right now :(
Early/Regular Deadline: Regular
Year: 3rd year Undergrad

NAQ (For those with regrets): 22.78

AQ (For those with regrets): 27.52

TFR: 50.30

I guess my hopes were too high... kind of surprised at the NAQ but I guess I wasn't really sure how my ECs would stack up.

On another note, I've heard that you are able to look back on your application and see which activities were verified or not, does anyone know when that will be up? I can't find it as of yet.

edit: and I thought I had made it through the first wave too, but spoke 10 minutes too soon!

TIME STAMP: 2:42 pm
GPA: 83.69
MCAT: 10/11/10
ECs: lots of long-standing involvement in varied and unique activities including leadership in student organizations and not-for-profits, involvement on health care projects with direct interaction with physicians, work with vulnerable populations, etc.

Year: Master's graduate

NAQ (For those with regrets): 19.27 (yep)

AQ (For those with regrets): 22.70

TFR: 41.97

I'm a 4th time applicant. Not quite sure how my NAQ was once above interviewee average and now below overall applicant average. I understand the applicant pool fluctuates from year to year. I understand they look for different things on a year to year basis. But...to go from above average to woefully below? That's mind boggling to me.

To clarify, my NAQ was evaluated in 2012/13 as 34.24. This year it was 19.27. Yes, I understand the scales and how the points are allocated has been adjusted. Still, that big of a difference with only adding more meaningful and unique health care-related experiences? I'm starting to think they are looking for more cookie cutter experiences as another poster mentioned.

TIME STAMP: 5:42 pm

GPA: 89.19

MCAT: 10/10/12

ECs: some research, little clinical research, hospital volunteering, club exec, rep baseball player, community volunteering, volunteer trip to africa fer 1month, some employment, etc.

Year: UG completed

Geography: OOOOP

NAQ (For those with regrets): 22.74

AQ (For those with regrets): 30.91

TFR: 53.65

So to stand a decent chance for an interview invite next yr, I would have to increase my NAQ score by more than 15 points.

Would this even be possible within a year? There's not much I can do about my AQ since im done school... :(

Your grades are great, that won't be high yield to try and get more point out of it. 

NAQ you can increase it, but who knows if 1 year (actually less, since cut-off is June) is enough time for meaningful change. Good luck at your other schools!

Lets be nice please, no need for that. While it is definitely frustrating, we can all agree with that, it is what it is. 

When you have so many more qualified applicants than seats, it leads to different methods of limiting the applicant pool.

I can't say how many times you've been through the process, but for it to vary so drastically from year to year (not just me), it would lead many to believe it is not the best system. It's extremely tough to find answers and know where you sit in relation to the competition.

TIME STAMP: 7:19 toronto time= 4:19 BC time

GPA: 93.14
MCAT: 12/10/13
ECs: piano/guitar, teaching, tutoring, clinic and hospital volunteering, 4 labs (no pubs), CLH (certified life hater)
Geography: OOP

NAQ (For those with regrets): 16.6 LOL

AQ (For those with regrets): 36.82

TFR: 53.44

I hate everything and I ****** give up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soa3gO7tL-c

Archived