Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invite & Regrets Thread 2014-2015

TIME STAMP: 4:19 pm Pacific (damn didn't survive)
Result: Reject
GPA: 83.69
MCAT: 10/10/11
ECs: first aid instructor/coach, president of some club, work part-time, some community volunteer work, some other leadership activities etc
Early/Regular Deadline: reg
Year: 3
Geography: IP

NAQ (For those with regrets): 22.69

AQ (For those with regrets): 25.27

TFR: 47.96

My gpa was higher than my SSC gpa... does UBC start dropping credits the moment i have over 90 or only when i have 120 will they drop all 30 at once?

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree that it's cookie cutter...but at the same time it seems like a lot of you guys have activities that would at least score you in the 20s for NAQ.  I shouldn't be complaining considering my NAQ seems quite high and on average with the whole applicant pool.  However, it seems as if there's little "rubric" style marking scheme on how the NAQ is scored.  

It isn't going to get any easier, and with more and more new applicants with high averages submitting it is going to get harder.  For people like myself, it won't be sufficient to rely on NAQ when the AQ is scored so high that the TFR cutoffs are going to be high enough that average or slightly above average NAQs aren't going to compensate.  

For those with high NAQs, could you please share with us more details about your ECs? It would a huge help for those of us who have received very low NAQ scores and feel confused. Thank you in advance. 

I think there are specific activities they look for. My application consisted mainly of research activities, which is why I am interested in an MD/PhD program. Would this be something UBC does not value very much? It seems like it from what I can tell from the posts on the forum so far... 

It is also possible that the way descriptions were formatted and worded had a large impact. Is there a specific way any of you descried your activities? 

I gave a few points about the tasks and a few points about the impact of the activity (when feasible).  

From the admittedly few posts here so far it would seem that UBC places very little value on research.

TIME STAMP: 7:20 pm (Toronto)
Interview Date: December 1
Result: Rejected
GPA: 89.4%
MCAT: 9/10/11 = 30
ECs: Research awards, hospital volunteering, University Clubs, the usual  
Early/Regular Deadline: Regular
Year: 4rth year UG
Geography: OOP

NAQ (For those with regrets): 22.28

AQ (For those with regrets): 31.23

Total = 53.51

I wish I lived in BC!! Really gotta work on the NAQ... :(

IME STAMP: 5:30 pm (est)
GPA: 90.5
ECs: not in the mood to list atm...I'll do it later
Early/Regular Deadline: reg
Year: 4 (graduated)

NAQ (For those with regrets): 28.75

AQ (For those with regrets): 32.87

TFR: 61.62

So close...yet so far!

I agree with you somewhat, but at the same time life isn't fair. My first cycle I applied it was so much easier to get 50/50 AQ, I know several people who got in that year that would likely struggle to get interviews last year. UBC isn't exactly known to be transparent in how they deal with these things

To throw more onto this, my first cycle I had 34/50 on my NAQ. Last year once they standardized everything I dropped to 28 or 29. I made the interview MUCH easier in the first cycle (2012/2013). I built up my NAQ so much over the past year and to see it drop that much wasn't fun but what can you do about it? We have to play their game

Life isn't fair, no. But it seems to be quite fortunate for a lot of people in the application process as you've alluded to.

I've played their game - for 3 years now. Clearly I'm playing it wrong haha

Actually, I think I might have a theory on how the NAQ is scored based on my observations of the limited data of the posts here: it seems possible that the NAQ score has at least a slight correlation on the applicant's age and his/her standing in education--that is, an applicant in 3rd year is probably going to get higher score in NAQ in comparison to an applicant who has graduated and/or is in a graduate program with identical/similar activities.  

This makes logical sense in a few ways: that UBC now has a "standard" profile of what to look for for applicants based on their years that isn't going to be based on the type of activities or the hours spent.  By this I mean that for an undergraduate, their experiences are going to be more of volunteering and part time jobs than a large amount of scientific journals/publications/research, etc.  Obviously I don't mean that undergraduates *don't* have these experiences, it means that UBC takes into account what sort of activities a typical student will have rather than looking at unique experiences individually.  

For example, it might be that before, an unconventional experience (such as doing something along the lines of Doctors Without Borders or Olympic participation) would be scored higher than "typical" experiences such as hospital volunteering or sports, but now it might be that UBC looks at who the applicant is and scores them based on that.  In my example, a person who has a high level of sport participation might be given an average score for participation in Olympics or that a graduate student would not be given a higher score for scientific publications and research as applicants who have not demonstrated higher achievement.  

Obviously points are still given (given that the High Achievement section is still there), but it seems like that's the only correlation I could tease out given what people have written based on their NAQ and their education level.  

Again, just my own theory.  

My unpopular opinion from years in this mess/several extremely close friends in the program.

UBC really doesn't value research as much as most people think they would. 

Irony is that it's such a big research university! Pretty interesting...I wonder if it varies depending on whether or not you had any publications, though. 

TIME STAMP: 4:19 pm (Vancouver)
GPA: 80.13
MCAT: 10/10/10
ECs: Everything except give birth to our Lord and Savior
Year: Graduated a couple years ago with BSc
Geography: BC

NAQ (For those with regrets): 27.57

AQ (For those with regrets): 17.38

TFR: 44.95

Last year I was three points away and now this. Excuse me while I pull an Izzy Stevens and go cry on my bathroom floor.

TIME STAMP: 4:18 pm PST
GPA: 87.07
MCAT: 14/10/13
ECs: 2+ years research, posters/abstracts, exec in clubs, orientations/campus volunteering, youth councils, international experience
Early/Regular Deadline: Reg
Year: 3
Geography: IP

NAQ (For those with regrets): 11.60

AQ (For those with regrets): 27.75

TFR: 39.35

Very confused about NAQ. No hospital volunteering, but clinical experience was had through my research, which is all clinical. Is it possible for a NAQ this low that one of the activities was not verified or flagged? Perhaps UBC values cookie cutter experiences more than research?

TIME STAMP: 4:43 pm (BC time)
GPA: 91.30
MCAT: 11/12/15
ECs: Not great, but I at least had three summers of research and some tutoring...
Year: Graduated

NAQ (For those with regrets): 7.42

AQ (For those with regrets): 34.07

TFR: 41.49

Today I learned I might have Asperger's. I hear Saskatchewan is nice this time of year...

To everyone receiving regrets today:

Keep your head up! It seems like each one of you has some really unique and memorable experiences under your belt. Yes, UBC's NAQ process can be somewhat subjective and unpredictable. But keep in mind that every other school looks at your application with totally fresh eyes. People who are invited to UBC could just as easily be rejected from another school to which you are invited! You're all awesome and don't forget it. And most importantly, don't give up!

TIME STAMP: 7:19 Eastern Time (4:19 BC time)
GPA: 88.4%
MCAT: 10/11/11
ECs: Research assistant, Undergraduate research project (no pub, poster presentation), Camp Councellor (6 summers, 3 as part of core leadership team), Exec member of uni club, Captain of 2 intramural teams, shadow for special needs student
Year: BSc, graduated in June

NAQ (For those with regrets): 18.96

AQ (For those with regrets): 29.77

pretty surprised/upset about the low NAQ, makes me worried for all the other schools. Good luck to those who haven't heard back yet!

TIME STAMP: 7:18 Eastern Time 

GPA: 92.94
MCAT: 14/11/14
Year: 4th year

NAQ (For those with regrets): 26.93

AQ (For those with regrets): 36.51

TFR: 63.44

So I was 0.03 points away from the cut off. Not sure what to feel about this :S

TIME STAMP: 7:18 Eastern Time (4:18 BC time)
GPA: 91.31
ECs: are you seriously expecting me to write about this right now???
Early/Regular Deadline: Early

NAQ (For those with regrets): 23.62

AQ (For those with regrets): 34.07

TFR: 57.69

Very disappointed but not too surprised...didn't know MCAT isn't included in pre-interview ranking...also my ECs, although might be decent in quality, are too few in number. Congrats to all the beasts who scored above the cut-off (63.47????? wow!!!)

Archived