MCAT: 14/11/14

Early/Regular Deadline: Regular

Year: 4th year

Geography: OOP 

NAQ (For those with regrets): 26.93

AQ (For those with regrets): 36.51

TFR: 63.44

So I was 0.05 points away from the cut off. Not sure what to feel about this :S

I would seriously consider appeal if I were you.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on last years', we are expecting most of the OOP rejections to go out tomorrow right? 

I don't think last year is an ideal guide. Last year started with a wave of early deadline invites on Tuesday, followed by a day of rejections on Wednesday, then a wave of regular deadline invites. We're already off to a different start from last year, so it's really unpredictable what will happen next.

TIME STAMP: 4:18 PM

Result: Rejected
GPA: 87.30 (Adjusted)
MCAT: PS/VR/BS/WS (11/7/12)
ECs: Lots of long term activities. No research.
Year: 5th year; will graduate by the end of this year.
Geography: IP

NAQ (For those with regrets): 23.81

AQ (For those with regrets): 28.08

TFR: 51.89

I can't believe how close I was to an interview. It's really unfortunate. I sucks that I have to wait another year... I heard we can appeal, but I don't know how to nor am I sure if it's worth it.

TIME STAMP: 7:18 Eastern Time

Result: Reject

GPA: 92.94

So I was 0.03 points away from the cut off. Not sure what to feel about this :S

Can't believe GPA 92.94 with MCAT39 rejected before interview by UBC.

TIME STAMP: Dec 1, 2014 - 16:20 PST

Interview Date: N/A
GPA: 85.94
MCAT: 14 PS / 11 VR / 12 BS / Q
ECs: 
Year: 2nd year 2nd UG degree

NAQ (For those with regrets): 23.81

AQ (For those with regrets): 26.05

So altogether it seems there were two waves of decisions today: 2:45ish and 4:20ish (both PST). I guess we know approximately when to keep an eye out for updates in the coming days! Unfortunately for those of us in the eastern time zones, that means waiting until the evening to find out 

So altogether it seems there were two waves of decisions today: 2:45ish and 4:20ish (both PST). I guess we know approximately when to keep an eye out for updates in the coming days! Unfortunately for those of us in the eastern time zones, that means waiting until the evening to find out

Be thankful that you get to sleep in without fear!

A friend of mine (OOP) got an interview invitation today. 

TIME STAMP: 7:18 Eastern Time 

GPA: 92.94

So I was 0.03 points away from the cut off. Not sure what to feel about this :S

Holy moly. That must be agonizing! I'm sure you will get interviews in Ontario. :D

P.S. That's an amazing MCAT score. 

Yup, it sucks. If I am to score an interview this year I am not getting my hopes up for admission. Luckily I believe I will score interviews at other schools this year (hoping..) which I am going to make my first priority. I am not a fan of the UBC medical school admissions cycle, and I admit that a large reason for that is the fact I've been through it 3 times now. I haven't been playing their game properly either so I feel you. After my rejection last year I realized that I can't just expect to get in here because once again some people get a lot more breaks in life than others.

How does one play their game properly? Almost every single change they've made has hurt my application significantly. Hi, last 60 credits average!

TIME STAMP: Dec 1, 2014 - 2:45 PM PST

GPA adjusted: 81.40% 
MCAT: 7/8/7 (super low I know)
ECs: I think quite good... A ton of volunteering in hospitals, coordinating cancer fundraisers, student government positions, volunteer work in Africa, two research positions. I am an older applicant non-traditional applicant with a non-science background. 
Year: Finished B.A. in 2008 and have a MPH

NAQ (For those with regrets): 19.27

AQ (For those with regrets): 32.95

I missed the cut off, but was very close with a 52.22! My MCAT is absurdly low, but that didn't seem to matter. This was my first time applying to UBC and medical school in general. 

There is some hope for those with lower MCATs and GPA, but stronger non-academics. I spent a ton of time working on the wording of my application, which I think may have helped with a higher NAQ score. I am disappointed that I was so close to the cut off. But my MCAT is probably much too low if I were to have gotten an interview to actually get accepted. 

Best of luck to those still waiting to get an invite! Ill have to reevaluate what the next steps are. 

ECs: I think quite good... A ton of volunteering in hospitals, coordinating cancer fundraisers, student government positions, volunteer work in Africa, two research positions. I am an older applicant non-traditional applicant with a non-science background. 

I missed the cut off, but was very close with a 52.22! My MCAT is absurdly low, but that didn't seem to matter. This was my first time applying to UBC and medical school in general. 

There is some hope for those with lower MCATs and GPA, but stronger non-academics. I spent a ton of time working on the wording of my application, which I think may have helped with a higher NAQ score. I am disappointed that I was so close to the cut off. But my MCAT is probably much too low if I were to have gotten an interview to actually get accepted. 

Best of luck to those still waiting to get an invite! Ill have to reevaluate what the next steps are. 

Is it possible that you listed the NAQ and AQ opposite from what you intended?

Just a friendly reminder to everyone not to be discouraged by rejections. The admissions committee receives tons of applications to review so maybe this just wasn't your year. Take a deep breath, focus on your remaining coursework, and prepare for next year! You will be accepted to a school and recognized for your hard work so don't think otherwise. I promise :)

Congrats, on your mark though! You did very well! It seems like you had a diverse EC, could you expand on why you think your wording got you a high NAQ? 

Archived