Premed 101 Forums

Schulich Dentistry Class Of 2019 Accepted And Facebook Group

It's not about showing up to class. It's about being able to relisten to things they may have missed. Sometimes it's difficult to be completely engaged for several hours straight.

I don't think I missed more than 3 lectures in undergrad either but recordings were still essential.

I agree!

I noticed that when I started recording lectures, my GPA went up. I guess I was more of an auditory learner. but I realized this too late

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did my undergrad at u of t and we also did not have our lectures recorded either but most students audio recorded the lectures for their own use. For some courses they even would not let you to record the lectures so you MUST attend those classes.

One of the reasons I will go to Western dentistry is for the backpacks, since U of T doesn't supply them to my knowledge (and Im also wait-listed there :(

lmao 

It's not about showing up to class. It's about being able to relisten to things they may have missed. Sometimes it's difficult to be completely engaged for several hours straight.

I don't think I missed more than 3 lectures in undergrad either but recordings were still essential.

i used to listen and record almost all my lectures in undergrad and i thought i would be doing that in dentistry as well, but boy was i wrong. ppl used to record lectures in the first month or 2, and we have yet to find a prof that doesn't allow us to record. but if you have time to record and listen to lectures thru out dentistry i will buy you AYCE sushi...  dentistry isn't undergrad and you'll realize that soon enough you will stop recording lectures when you realize you don't need them and that u'll do better without them. the exams are straight from the lecture material and you do not need the recordings and u'll be happy you don't since its tough to find time and the mental motivation to study already with 830 - 430 (sometimes later) class. personally i barely take any notes anymore, i just come to class to listen most of the time now. 

Even though I am waiting on 5 Ontario medical schools, I have already got into UofT dents, and have decided that between UWO dents and UofT dents - that I will go for Toronto dents.  So irrespective of whether I get in or waitlisted, I will be declining.  Good luck to everyone.

It should be noted that the late admissions probably costs Western some of their top choices - as those that get into Toronto (or out of province) start thinking about their new admission and become more settled with the idea, even if Western is an initial top choice.  They really should try to coincide admission offers between the dental schools to within a week or so...

P.S.  As some people may know, I have also got into 3 out of province medical schools - but would prefer in Province dents to out of province meds - but prefer in province meds over in province dents.  Complicated personal reasoning for these decisions - but so be it.

wwoooooooooooooooooww 

Even though I am waiting on 5 Ontario medical schools, I have already got into UofT dents, and have decided that between UWO dents and UofT dents - that I will go for Toronto dents.  So irrespective of whether I get in or waitlisted, I will be declining.  Good luck to everyone.

It should be noted that the late admissions probably costs Western some of their top choices - as those that get into Toronto (or out of province) start thinking about their new admission and become more settled with the idea, even if Western is an initial top choice.  They really should try to coincide admission offers between the dental schools to within a week or so...

P.S.  As some people may know, I have also got into 3 out of province medical schools - but would prefer in Province dents to out of province meds - but prefer in province meds over in province dents.  Complicated personal reasoning for these decisions - but so be it.

I emailed admissions. They said comittment is meeting next week and to expect results the week of the 18-22

At least I can relax a little for the next week or so. :-)

That's a relief, I was worried during my vacation that decisions would come out while I was away in Cuba (with no wifi) this past week but it seems like we still have a lot of time.

I emailed admissions. They said comittment is meeting next week and to expect results the week of the 18-22

At least I can relax a little for the next week or so. :-)

Thanks for inquiring and letting us know!

Like the above poster said, it may be reasonable to assume, more wait list movement this year due to earlier U of T release. There also may be "faster" waitlist movement due to the fact people wont accept UWO dent this year just case they may not get accepted into medicine. Ontario med school acceptances are May 12th this year.

lmao

the exams are straight fromthat's lecture material and you do not need the recordings and u'll be happy you don't since its tough to find time and the mental motivation to study already with 830 - 430 (sometimes later) class. personally i barely take any notes anymore, i just come to class to listen most of the time now.

When you say lecture material, you're referring to the slides, textbook, and any other course material that's physically provided to you right? So essentially, exams don't test anything new that the profs say in class--only content that's already written somewhere?

Also, I'll still gladly take you up on that AYCE sushi offer lol.

And wow I was really hoping UWO would come out earlier. They can definitely expect to lose some students since UofT's wait list has been steadily moving and those (ridiculous) deposits are due before UWO's offers. I highly doubt release dates will affect someone's decision between med or dent though lol. These are not light decisions. If something so mundane is going to sway you're position you should prob check yaself before you wreck yaself ;)

So when you accept another offer (either med or dental), is your Schulich dentistry application automatically cancelled? Cause I've heard that about 100 of those who were invited to interview at Western end up choosing other places, but the waitlist obviously doesn't move to 100th student..so I'm just trying to figure out how this works.

So when you accept another offer (either med or dental), is your Schulich dentistry application automatically cancelled? Cause I've heard that about 100 of those who were invited to interview at Western end up choosing other places, but the waitlist obviously doesn't move to 100th student..so I'm just trying to figure out how this works.

No. How would they have this information?

Dental schools don't go through a centralized system like OMSAS where schools do talk to each other.

When you say lecture material, you're referring to the slides, textbook, and any other course material that's physically provided to you right? So essentially, exams don't test anything new that the profs say in class--only content that's already written somewhere?

Also, I'll still gladly take you up on that AYCE sushi offer lol.

And wow I was really hoping UWO would come out earlier. They can definitely expect to lose some students since UofT's wait list has been steadily moving and those (ridiculous) deposits are due before UWO's offers. I highly doubt release dates will affect someone's decision between med or dent though lol. These are not light decisions. If something so mundane is going to sway you're position you should prob check yaself before you wreck yaself ;)

considering that deposits are now refundable, as by provincial law  it really shouldn't matter, and there are students like me, who lost the deposit last year (when it was still allowed to have non-refundable deposits) after choosing UWO over UofT. i can confirm that from first year exams the only material tested is the lectures, and i believe this continues for the rest of the years. 

considering that deposits are now refundable, as by provincial law it really shouldn't matter, and there are students like me, who lost the deposit last year (when it was still allowed to have non-refundable deposits) after choosing UWO over UofT. i can confirm that from first year exams the only material tested is the lectures, and i believe this continues for the rest of the years.

Western students keep mentioning this but I can't find anything about it online. Do you have a source to point me to? UofT is pretty adamant about the deposit being nonrefundable.

Western students keep mentioning this but I can't find anything about it online. Do you have a source to point me to? UofT is pretty adamant about the deposit being nonrefundable.

I've tried to search on that matter, this is all I could find:

"Colleges and universities may continue to charge a deposit on tuition, but the amount will be capped at $500 or 10 per cent of the tuition total, whichever is greater. Institutions must use the deposits to cover the student's tuition fees."

http://news.ontario.ca/tcu/en/2013/12/fairer-fees-for-university-and-college-students.html

I've tried to search on that matter, this is all I could find:

"Colleges and universities may continue to charge a deposit on tuition, but the amount will be capped at $500 or 10 per cent of the tuition total, whichever is greater. Institutions must use the deposits to cover the student's tuition fees."

http://news.ontario.ca/tcu/en/2013/12/fairer-fees-for-university-and-college-students.html

Thank you. But LOL. So this implies the $2000 is non refundable since tuition is listed as :

Total:

Domestic Students: $43, 171.44

International Students: $75, 535.44

... which means they could really charge us >$4000 as a nonrefundable deposit.

Thank you. But LOL. So this implies the $2000 is non refundable since tuition is listed as :

Total:

Domestic Students: $43, 171.44

International Students: $75, 535.44

... which means they could really charge us >$4000 as a nonrefundable deposit.

Yup, unless there is some other clause that we are unaware of 

But "Institutions must use the deposits to cover the student's tuition fees."

Technically they aren't using the deposit to cover the student's tuition fees if the student isn't going to the school? LOL

Ahaha very true. Can we get a lawyer up in here?

But seriously, We'll probably have to ask the UT thread after med acceptances come out if anyone was able to actually get a refund. No point asking now since offers haven't been made yet.

I don't think any of us well get any of the UofT deposit back.  Especially with the statement regarding up to 10% of tuition can be used as a deposit.  It would be nice, but I paid it with the understanding that if I got into another school it would be money down the toilet.

In the grand scheme of things there are things that will cost a lot more in  life on even more worthless things.   Ever hear of land transfer tax?  Wait until you buy a house; especially if you're in Toronto, its a painful waste of money.  Or even better CMHC fees if you don't have 20% down (paying a fee to insure the bank's money).     :D

From what I've read online, the only thing that appears to have changed in legislation is that the deposit has to be used against tuition costs and can't be used as an extra fee or for administration costs.

Its unfortunate that the schools aren't more coordinated around the same date with acceptances etc... but c'est la vie I guess... 

I don't really understand how other expensive things that are 'worthless' makes the deposit situation better.

I understand that you are trying to make people feel better.

On the other hand, the deposit situation is clearly not the most ethical thing a school can do.

So, instead of saying, "oh it's a shitty thing but there is lots of other shitty things in life."

I think the more appropriate response is something along the lines of, "It's a shitty thing, and based on the principle of the thing, I disagree with it, but there isn't much we can do about it."

^ I don't think he is trying to make people feel better - merely stating that we spend on a lot on things that are perceived as useless. I will put it another way - quite honestly I wish the non-refundable fee was higher. It would force people to make a decision rather than hold onto 3 or 4 placements all summer, while others have to wait. I don't remember who the poster was, but someone said they were accepted to UofT dent and 3 out of province med schools. On top of this , they are waiting on 5 apps to Ontario Med Schools. Does anyone see this as reasonable? You applied to UofT and basically said that you want to go there. They processed your return, ranked you, interviewed you and said ok, you are accepted. Pay us the deposit to hold your spot and then you are mad? Someone has to pay for all of this. I just wish all of the offers came out at the same time to stop all of this nonsense.  As a waitlister, I would have no problem paying the 2k non-refundable deposit to hold my spot.

^ Oh okay. that makes a lot more sense. And I agree with that.

(My position is that holding up multiple spots is wrong but charging non-refundable deposits so high is also wrong. It obviously isn't there to cover to cost of application processing fee.)

Archived