Premed 101 Forums

Academic Explanation Essay

Not sure if this is the correct term, but in reference to the section where you can explain how your academic status may not reflect your abilities, does completing this essay make any impact? As in, do I even bother wasting application money hoping that they consider my situation? I know it says applicants will never know if the formula will be used in their special circumstance.

Does anyone know of successful applicants who must have had their special situation considered because they got interviews / got in despite having some kind of academic problem (too few courses disqualifying them from wGPA or low grades one year due to a serious personal problem)??

I also called the school to ask and they said they don't need "proof", so how would one then try to make a really serious case? If for instance i can't provide evidence up front of an actual issue I had. I would guess many people try to use this section to help themselves.

I also called the school to ask and they said they don't need "proof", so how would one then try to make a really serious case? If for instance i can't provide evidence up front of an actual issue I had. I would guess many people try to use this section to help themselves.

To be honest, I don't think many people do. I could be wrong but I doubt every applicant fills this section. This is because you really need to have a legitimate reason to fill this section (something quite serious that hindered your ability) and I doubt every applicant has had such a circumstance. Furthermore, if an applicant makes an assertion in this section, they should have a way to prove it even if "proof" is not officially asked. So I doubt people would throw together a half-baked excuse for low marks. But maybe that's just what I think.

You ask a good question though. I'm not sure how they'd go about deciding which cases deserve special consideration and which don't without some sort of documentation. Does anyone have any ideas?

Not sure if this is the correct term, but in reference to the section where you can explain how your academic status may not reflect your abilities, does completing this essay make any impact? As in, do I even bother wasting application money hoping that they consider my situation? I know it says applicants will never know if the formula will be used in their special circumstance.

Does anyone know of successful applicants who must have had their special situation considered because they got interviews / got in despite having some kind of academic problem (too few courses disqualifying them from wGPA or low grades one year due to a serious personal problem)??

It's on the application for a reason, as for how much of a bearing it takes we will never know... just like we don't know how they consider marks vs. interview vs. references etc. I know the application fees are increasing but in my opinion that couple hundred dollars is worth a shot. If you're a non-traditional applicant I would suggest also looking into schools that are more friendly to your situation (this is often Mac for many people, few people squeeze in with very low GPAs/MCAT scores annually). Good luck!

I completed this section. I do not know if it was taken into consideration, but I was not eligible for weighting and my overall cGPA was around 3.3, but with a large upward trend. I even failed a course in first year. The fact that I go in suggests that they took my explanation into consideration. I won't say the details of my explanation, but I will say that it was not some major life-altering event like a family member dying or anything like that, just the truth of what led to my failure first year. 

• 4 years later...

Hi, I’m also considering this part of my application, but now I’m finishing my MA degree. The CGPA of my MA is fine, but the one of my BA might not be. There is a HUGE difference in the CGPA of the two. During my BA my grandmother was sick with cancer the entire time of my studies, and she died in my last year. During my last year I was also severely sick in the hospital. I won’t go into too much detail, but I’m still feeling confident about my application if I fill this part BUT maybe I’m being too confident? I’m really nervous it won’t be enough and it will be my BA to cause a rejection. Any opinions? Advice? 

14 hours ago, Frederick Sanger said:

Average cGPA to get file review was 3.86 and 3.91 to get interviews. 77% of applicants had their weighting applied, so those stats are after the adjustment

To clarify, by stats are after adjustment do you mean after weighting? Are 3.86 and 3.91 cGPA or wGPA? And if they're cGPA, why would uot give us cGPA info when most applicants have wGPA? Thanks!

7 hours ago, Frederick Sanger said:

Yes, let me clarify.  I meant to say wGPA, but if people don't qualify for it, it will be their cGPA. This is based on the video the admisisons released a few weeks ago.

Thanks! It seems crazy to me how an average wgpa of 3.91 is required to get an interview, but average wgpa for matriculation is 3.96 or something ridiculous. That means uoft must place a lot of weight on gpa post-interview. 

11 hours ago, Frederick Sanger said:

50% is GPA post-interview!

I don’t think that’s accurate. Based on the admissions video from last year, the post interview formula is 50% Interview, 50% pre-interview file-review. The file review is more than just GPA