Premed 101 Forums

Uottawa Now Requires Casper!

The selection criteria is based on eligibility requirements, all of the academic parameters as well as performance on CASPerTM, review of the autobiographical sketch, and finally by the results of the interview performance combined with the academic performance.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The selection criteria is based on eligibility requirements, all of the academic parameters as well as performance on CASPerTM, review of the autobiographical sketch, and finally by the results of the interview performance combined with the academic performance.

NYMC and Rutgers (in the US) now requires it too!

ha, interesting times! Schools are always looking for another way to distinguish between candidates. McMaster continues to be the tip of the spear with its educational changes, with others following post.

Indeed! Mac has always been in the lead and they continue to change the face of the process.  :P BTW, they are aware that a small percentage of applicants have come up with ways to try to cheat the system, there are always bad apples.  :(  

Although I'm not surprised that more schools are using CASPer, I am surprised that Ottawa was one of the first to adopt it. Having not used the MMI for over the decade that its been available - instead insisting on a panel interview - it felt to me that their faculty was more resistant to change. Very interesting 

This is depressing, maybe it might be a good thing..who knows :(. Ottawa also changed their policy about prerequisites, apparently orgo is always required now.

Their admission requirements say the following:

the equivalent of two full-year courses (or four semester courses) of the following Chemistry courses: i) General Biochemistry without laboratory session; ii) General Chemistry with laboratory session; iii) Organic Chemistry with laboratory session.

So orgo isn't required as long as you have a full year of gchem and biochem.

A candidate can fulfill the chemistry/biochemistry prerequisites by completing one of the following combinations of courses:

• One full-year course in general chemistry with lab, plus one full-year course in organic chemistry with lab.
  • One full-year course in organic chemistry with lab, plus one full-year course in biochemistry without lab.
  • One full-year course in general chemistry with lab, plus one semester course in organic chemistry with lab, plus one semester course in biochemistry without lab.
  • One full-year course in organic chemistry with lab, plus one semester course in general chemistry with lab, plus one semester course in biochemistry without lab.

Seems like orgo is always needed

"All applicants to the <Insert program name>, at <Academic Institution Name> are required to complete an online assessment (CASPer™), to assist with our selection process. Successful completion of CASPer™ is mandatory in order to maintain admission eligibility." 

Looks like someone forgot to fill the info in...

Indeed! Mac has always been in the lead and they continue to change the face of the process.  :P BTW, they are aware that a small percentage of applicants have come up with ways to try to cheat the system, there are always bad apples.  :(

Well all schools are aware of that :) a lot at stake after all

I'm not sure how the CASPer process works, but what is stopping someone from signing up for multiple timeslots on the earlier date under a friend's name; writing the test (as practice), and then signing up for their own on the later date? Can others who are not med applicants register for the test? Or is it limited to those who have completed omsas?

I would think you need to be registered with OMSAS.

There have been somewhat sophisticated attempts to cheat or game the system, I will refrain from giving examples as this may give someone here who is unethical some unhealthy ideas. Suffice to say, adcoms are fully aware of these attempts and have taken them fully into account so that they are reasonably confident with the outcome. Cheaters exist everywhere. Any potential advantage in just one component has to be weighed against the potential consequences. Moreover, should a candidate so outperform other competitive candidates so as to be in aNobel catagory so to speak, this will be a red flag in itself.

Archived