Premed 101 Forums

Oop Applying To Nosm

Hey Guys, 

Im an OOP and wanted to know how is it for OOP ppl applying.

Do have preference to Ontario applicants? Also how do they calculate GPA if i did 1st year 8 courses, 2nd year 10 classes, 3rd year 10 classes, 4th year 6 classes, 5th year 6 classes Degree completed. 

I know for UofC they'll only take yeas with 8 or more courses, and with a degree drop lowest year given that in the remaining years you have two years with 5&5, so they only use 2nd and 3rd year. 

NOSM looks at all undergrad courses taken towards a degree. If you have two degrees they take the best degree GPA. Google "NOSM admissions" its pretty transparent. Also it is pretty difficult to get into NOSM as an OOP applicant, unless you have rural ties.

http://www.nosm.ca/classprofiles/

if you go to that website you will see that every year only about 4 people get in per year out of province and it states they are from rural or remote areas.

Best of luck

NOSM definitely picks most of its student's from north western ontario, but also focuses on rural medicine, so if you're from another rural/northern community outside of Ontario, apply!

Not exclusively Northwestern Ontario, but Northern Ontario. Anywhere in Northeastern Ontario and places like Parry Sound are within NOSM's catchment, so people from anywhere from this area and north/west will likely have a pretty good context acore when applying to NOSM.

• 1 month later...

What's the consensus on being very rural  (like <1000pop. during childhood/high school family still there) but OOP?

I keep flip-flopping about NSOM and money is very tight

I think size of community might be second to the community's proximity to urban centers.  For instance, how many km is it to get to a hospital?  Those sorts of factors might be more indicative of your potential context score, but I'm speculating - everyone agrees it's a bit of a mystery.  If you are quite rural, but OOP, I still think you should apply if you want to attend a rural medical education program.

I think size of community might be second to the community's proximity to urban centers.  For instance, how many km is it to get to a hospital?  Those sorts of factors might be more indicative of your potential context score, but I'm speculating - everyone agrees it's a bit of a mystery.  If you are quite rural, but OOP, I still think you should apply if you want to attend a rural medical education program.

About 50km from a 5000pop town with the hospital. A few community clinics closer. But if you were about to have a baby, or needed an operation or a catscan, for example, it was a 45min drive on a highway. About 150km from a large city (250,000)

And I do plan on being a community gp regardless. I've never been North though, so of course I can't say for sure I'd do north. However I can't see it being an issue

Archived