Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites/regrets 2015

Time stamp: 12:52

Result: Invite!

wGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 33 (10-PS, 10-BS, 13-VR)

EC's: Fairly diverse, strong on employment (non-traditional student) but a bit weak on health-related. PM for more detail.

Essay: Strong (IMHO), older applicant so lots of experience to draw on.

Maritime connection: weak, but drew links to my experience.

Year: Last year of second undergrad

IP/OOP: OOP

I am stunned (and incredibly grateful) to have been invited!

Time stamp: 1:00pm

Result: Regrets

wGPA: 3.8

MCAT: 10/10/10

EC's: many, varied, lots of demonstration of CANMEDS qualities, almost $80,000 in research funding, scholarship, awards

Essay: very personal, spoke about my degree and again CANMEDS qualities (not blatantly obviously)

Year: master's completed (community based health research degree)

Maritime connection: decent (visited this summer after invite from a research team, highlighted this and just my general desire to genuinely live and practice there)

OOP

Time stamp: 1:51

Result: Invite

MCAT: 514

EC's: Long term clinical research (hospital) experience; 1st author pub; long term volunteering with children; overseas volunteering; leadership role in several committees; several recent academic awards and presentations

Essay: Very personal, tied in my family and my experiences outside of the classroom, strong Maritime connection

Maritime Connection: Very Strong (raised in NS)

Year: Final Year 

I am so excited to interview at Dal!

Time stamp:1:52pm

Result:Invite

wGPA: 3.9

MCAT: PS- 128, CARS- 128, BS- 130, PSYC-129

EC's: Lots (leadership, volunteer, research, athletics, scholarships, pubs, community involvements)

Essay: Personal experiences relating to interest in medicine. Was very happy with essay by the end of several rounds of editing.

Year: MSc

IP/OOP: IP

Very happy to receive the invite!

Time stamp:12:49pm EST

Result:Invite

wGPA: 3.8

MCAT: 33

EC's: Fairly varied & long-term - research, varsity athlete, ensemble musician & soloist, cyclist, youth mentor, etc.

Essay: Personal narrative of the development of my interest in medicine

Maritime connection: Strong - lived in NS until university

Year: Graduated 2014

I'm really excited to interview at Dal. If it's helpful to anyone else (who either did not receive an invite or is applying in the future), I was told earlier in the process by somebody in the admission's office that I was an 'ideal out-of-province candidate', as I was born & raised in NS.

Time stamp:1:00 PM EST
Result: rejection
MCAT: 12/11/13 (36)
EC's: Lots of research, music, teaching, and working with kids.
Essay: I wrote about a personal experience with healthcare and my research position (I researched the same condition I had). I was happy with it.
Year: 4

I wasn't expecting much, I had no maritime connection.

Time stamp: 1:00pm EST

MCAT: 13/10/14 (37)

EC's: Co-authorship on a publication, lead investigator on research at a cancer centre, orientation week leader, executive position of a student society, student ambassador (recruitment), volunteering in several departments of a local hospital, employment in a local cancer centre, TA, RA work, as well as skiing and camping as additional ECs.

Essay: I felt really good about it, my essay had a nice flow to it and really integrated all of my experiences as a whole, and the Maritime connection was a family vacation to PEI.

Year: Bachelor's year 4

I was looking forward to visiting Halifax during the interviews, but alas, it's not meant to be! Good luck to everyone who got an interview! :)

Time stamp: 1:00 pm EST

Result: Rejected

MCAT: 10/10/14 (34)

EC's: Leadership in campus clubs, pharmacy technician for 5+ years, 2 over-seas medical humanitarian trips, piano, ballroom + Latin dancing, Ironman triathlete, national swimmer, hospital volunteering, TA for biology, private high school teacher, private tutor, neuroscience researcher. Not many awards but several notable accomplishments. 

Essay: Felt great about the first essay. Edited it numerous times and had it reviewed by my school's Help Center. The second essay, not so much. I have almost no connection to Maritimes (only a 2-week vacation there a few years ago) but I expressed my desire to study, work, and live there. 

Year: B.Sc.

Time stamp: 1:00PM

MCAT: Above cutoffs

EC's: Fairly diverse/long term, not much research

Essay: I think I had a strong essay but I rushed the maritime connection part, regret it now.

Year: UG complete

Oh well, congratulations everyone who received an interview! Time to wait until January for the next set of emails

Result: Invite :)

MCAT: 35

EC's: Average at best. Or weaker. I have no idea how to tell to be honest

Essay: ??? I mean, I thought it was nice but I'm sure everyone felt that way.....

Year: 4th

IP/OOP: IP

I was super excited, and then it hit me how unbelievably soon the interviews are and now I'm getting nervous!!!

Still so excited though

Time stamp: 12:41 EST 26/10/15

wGPA: 4.0 (according to the application)

MCAT: 29 (10/10/9)

ECs: I hope that they are pretty well rounded. I was the president a club at my university, spent many hours as a hospital volunteers, and had medically related research experience, to name a few.

Essay: I feel like I worked pretty hard on this essay. I also had it reviewed by several family members and the Writing Centre at my university.

Year: BSc 4th

IP/OOP: IP (NB)

• 3 weeks later...

Late to the party, but here I go anyway:

Result: Invite (SJ campus)

wGPA: 3.6 (on Dal scale)

MCAT: 507 (about a 28 on old format)

EC's: extensive and varied -- music, athletics, health care, research, publications, humanitarian, lots of employment, various leadership roles. 

Essay: I wrote a lot about personal experiences and hardships and how those shaped my interest in medicine.

Year: last year of UG

IP/OOP: IP (NB)

Late posting, but thought I'd join in!

Result: Invite (Halifax campus) 

GPA: (last 2 years) 3.9

MCAT: 510 

ECs: Hospital volunteering (IWK and HI) ESL teacher for refugees, O-week leader, TA, tutoring, society involvement, hobbies, long-term employment, etc.  Various scholarships (in-course, leadership, Dal IMPACT award)

Essay: meh... not sure tbh.  I had good points and motivations to enter medicine, but I am not a strong writer. 

Year: 5 (last year!) 

IP/OOP: IP (NS) 

• 1 month later...

Very late, sorry! 

Time stamp: Oct. 26, 2015 at 1:00 p.m.

wGPA: 3.9 (2 year)

MCAT: 36

EC's: Research (first author pubs, co-author pubs, posters, presentations, awards), lead on clinical quality improvement project, educational presentations at cancer support groups, medically-related employment and non-medically related employment, physician shadowing, hospital volunteer, TA for 5 courses, TA Award, leadership roles at Canadian Cancer Society, leadership roles on clubs/societies/services on campus, orientation leader, graduate student facilitator for orientation, first responder, intramural sports, some others.

Essay: Spent a lot of time working on it and had it edited several times by a few different people. Felt good about it, but now I am kind of regretting my approach. Try to make it unique, might have gone overboard. Weak maritime connection.

Year: 2nd year MSc (1st year MSc when I applied and got the rejection)

Bit late to the party, but only recently made an account.

Time stamp: 26 Oct

MCAT: 32

EC's: Varied: student athletic trainer, music, competitive powerlifter, active in school societies, volunteering, tutoring.

Essay: I put a lot of passion into it and spoke of my medical experience. Strong maritime connection (live here 17 years)

Year: last of 2nd degree, 8th overall

• 1 month later...

A bit late to the party here, just recently made an account.

Time stamp: 26 Oct

MCAT: 32

EC's: Fairly varied due to being somewhat of a mature applicant

Essay: Put some effort describing my experiences that led me to medicine. Maritime connection from work / business travels.

Archived