Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2016

Well, you guys are clearly right on this one - it's a pleasant surprise to finally hear from UoT.  I did indeed get an interview for the March 12th weekend. And with enough time to inform work and arrange for weekend babysitting (well, still in progress, but I have options).

Good luck to everyone else that has an interview! I'm sure I'll run into a few of you there.

Congratulations! Good luck. I'm sure you'll really enjoy the experience. :)

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have all of the second batch of invites come out at this point?

Don't think anyone here would know, but I doubt it. Lots of people still to hear back, I'd be surprised if it was only for April 10th at this point.

In previous years the second batch came out over several days... It's only been 2 days of invites so far. 

How long does it normally take to get assigned to a morning/afternoon spot?

I submitted my form last Thursday, but I haven't received any confirmation....is this normal?

Sorry, I am just paranoid that I accidentally did something wrong! 

It took them about 1.5 weeks to get back to me (interviewing this weekend).

Hey guys, 

Someone asked me in a PM about what the MPI is like, and I thought to share my reply with you other interviewees, who also don't know what to expect: 

The MPI is four stations, with four different interviewers. It's set up pretty much like an MMI, where you rotate through the four stations, spending 10 minutes with each interviewer. In between the stations, you get a 2 minute break. Unlike an MMI, there are no prompts on the doors. Each station is like a mini-interview. You will go inside, introduce yourself, and the interviewer will ask you a set of questions. Do take some time to think before answering the questions! I can't tell you what kind of questions they ask, but as I said in my post, it really helps to know yourself, your motivations, and your skills and experiences (particularly as they relate to the CanMeds roles) and also to have some approach to tackling ethical/healthcare/social issues. There are many different interview questions you can look up online to get in the groove of talking coherently and confidently. The interview is pretty straightforward and goes by fast. It will probably be a fairly pleasant experience for most of you :)

I don't know how they score the interview. I do know that the interview is worth 50% of your total post-interview score (at least, I believe that's what it was last year). 

Other tips:

Have good eye contact and body language (don't slouch, use gestures sparingly and for emphasis)

Be specific when talking about personal experiences (ex. use the STAR method) 

Check out how to improve your MMI guide by TrojanHorse (can be found here on pm101 in the Interviews section and applied to MPI and other interview styles as well)

Don't get hung up on how you did on one station. Clear your head before moving on to the next one! 

Try not to over-anlayze/overthink this whole process, even though it may seem impossible right now. You got an interview - your chances of getting in are very real at this point! 

Feel free to ask any other questions related to the interview or U of T! 

So they won't just ask you one?

Does anyone know where the interviews are held? Is it at MSB (and if so approximately where?). I'd like to just go and have a look so that I'm familiar with the general vibe/environment for next year when I apply. I know it sounds stocker-ish but it does help calm my nerves and prepare psychologically. Thanks a lot. 

Does anyone know where the interviews are held? Is it at MSB (and if so approximately where?). I'd like to just go and have a look so that I'm familiar with the general vibe/environment for next year when I apply. I know it sounds stocker-ish but it does help calm my nerves and prepare psychologically. Thanks a lot. 

Interviews are held at the Michener Institute, but if you go on an interview day and you aren't interviewing, you won't be allowed anywhere in the building. Also, there isn't much there to help calm the nerves. It is just another building.

On interview days, most people are much calmer than they anticipate and overall it is a great experience. The student volunteers are amazing at helping everyone relax. The school is trying to sell itself more than you are trying to at this point.

P.s. Good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend. Don't forget to check out the MAM tour! I will see you there!

What do you guys think, Is it safe to assume no more invites for March dates, except cancellations?

Nobody knows, but there are individuals that get interview invites after March for the April date (I know somebody in my class that got in through a last minute interview). It may have been due to a cancellation, but this isn't information that they will release. If you haven't received a rejection you still have a chance!

Does UofT send you an email if they decide your application isn't valid (eg. you don't meet the prerequisites?). I've received the "University of Toronto Medicine: Reminder of Verification Checks and Turnitin" email, for background. I know not all the invites have been released yet but I'm becoming increasingly paranoid about my application :/

Does UofT send you an email if they decide your application isn't valid (eg. you don't meet the prerequisites?). I've received the "University of Toronto Medicine: Reminder of Verification Checks and Turnitin" email, for background. I know not all the invites have been released yet but I'm becoming increasingly paranoid about my application :/

They won't specifically send you an email saying if your application isn't valid for the reasons you have suggested. You will either get an invite to interview or a regrets email (with no explanation for why).

It is tough to fight the paranoia but if you haven't been rejected yet, then there is still hope. I know that it gets increasingly bleak over time but try to hang in there.

They won't specifically send you an email saying if your application isn't valid for the reasons you have suggested. You will either get an invite to interview or a regrets email (with no explanation for why).

It is tough to fight the paranoia but if you haven't been rejected yet, then there is still hope. I know that it gets increasingly bleak over time but try to hang in there.

Ugh, it sure does. 

So I emailed them and was told "if you have not yet received a refusal, this would indicate that you have met the minimum requirements and the application is under review."

Archived