Premed 101 Forums

Accepting Both Med 'n' Dent

DR.RD

Hey guys, 

Does anyone know what would happen if I decided to pay the deposit for both programs and accept both? 

On minerva it states: " Note: confirmation of your intention to register for this program may result in the cancellation of other offers of admission with the exception of Continuing Studies programs, undergraduate programs in Dentistry, Law, Medicine or Music and Post Graduate programs in Medicine or Dentistry. If you wish to decline an offer in one of these programs, you should select the application under the Applicant Menu and then click on 'Decline this offer'

which to me means that I can accept both, but after calling adcom, they said I can only accept one! 

Does anyone know if this is doable? anyone with a similar past experience? 

Cheers! 

But....they are 2 totally different career paths. Have you never considered what job it is you actually want to do until now?

I am actually kind of curious re: what they said or would have said to the question, "Why medicine?" or "Why dentistry?" if they were still ambivalent about the entire thing.

While it is certainly not unusual to be unsure or even torn between the two programs, I would hope that you would have spent time reflecting on this matter well in advance, OP.

Try and think about what your career/life trajectory will be like with each program and ask yourself how satisfied you would be with either outcome.

Consider things like work/life balance, length of training, your interests (would you like to specialize, does dentistry satisfy your intellectual curiosity, etc.?).

If you really have no idea, consider accepting the program that is more difficult to get into as then you will be set if it is what you decide on and if not, you could always drop out and re-apply to the less competitive program and likely get in somewhere (if not even at the same school). Of course, this would be a poor move on your part and be rather disrespectful to the institution/program you would have temporarily attended as they have limited spots, it could affect their funding, etc. but you would at least not hate your life (assuming that is what is of primary importance to you).

Take the above with a grain of salt--I'm just procrastinating inbetween assignments.

Good luck!

Hi DR.RD, I think people have been pretty harsh on you so far regarding your career path... it`s actually normal to have applied to 2 competitive programs (if you don`t have a plan B, then you`re not thinking about yourself realistically!) and now that you have been accepted to both, you`re having trouble choosing. This also happens to people when they apply for residency in 2 completely different fields and have trouble ranking the programs until the very last minute.... So don`t worry and don`t feel judged, you don`t deserve that! And honestly, medicine and dentistry are very much related and similar career paths.

Anyway, that being said, I don`t know how it works administration-wise. Did you get accepted in dent and med BOTH at McGill? Cuz if it`s in another university, you can accept both and then think about it some more. If both are at McGill, I doubt you can do that.

Good luck with your decision-making!  :)

Can someone shed some light as to how many hours do doctors work when they are staff? (I know it varies, but can someone broadly categorize different specialties based on the number of hours they work per week please?). 

I imagine this could be a determining factor which differentiates Med vs Dent in terms of lifestyle. 

Thanks!

Can someone shed some light as to how many hours do doctors work when they are staff? (I know it varies, but can someone broadly categorize different specialties based on the number of hours they work per week please?). 

I imagine this could be a determining factor which differentiates Med vs Dent in terms of lifestyle. 

Thanks!

https://www.cma.ca/En/Pages/specialty-profiles.aspx

Perhaps some of the residents/current students on here can chime in as well with anecdotes.

Archived