Premed 101 Forums

Site Selection Md2020

Site Selection for MD2020  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Just curious about the site rankings of UBCMed2020 hopefuls and why :)

• VFMP
    • IMP
    • NMP
    • SMP

For those that interviewed this cycle, which site did you rank as your first choice? Feel free to share a bit about why!  :)

Also, if any current students would like to share about their current site and what they like/dislike about it, that'd be stellar. :D

Oooo, great idea! I'll kick things off! 

I ranked the Northern program as my first choice. I was born and raised in rural Northern Ontario and loved the small community feel, the extremely close proximity to nature, and the more laid back way of life. I moved to Ottawa for undergrad and later Montreal for graduate studies, so I have been itching to get back into the North/rural area for the past little while (hence why I also applied to NOSM). I also appreciate just how under serviced most of these areas are, and I feel if I am lucky enough to get in, it would be a small way to give back to communities that were similar to the one I grew up in - I know they desperately need it.

I also really like the smaller class sizes, the more hands on approach, and the fact that I would know everyone in my class. British Columbia is a beautiful province, so I look forward to visiting areas other than Vancouver (don't get me wrong, Vancouver is beautiful too!). Investing in the North is something that has been happening lately and I think the Northern campus has a lot of brand new facilities. I also am very interested in research and find that the Northern populations are under serviced in that area too (social determinants of health, etc ...).

Honestly though, it was a tough choice. Every site looks awesome and after watching the video, I actually changed my second choice from Vancouver to the SMP!

4 weeks tomorrow until we find out, I wish everyone the best of luck! Keep positive  :)

I went 1. VFMP 2. IMP 3. SMP 4. NMP

I've lived in Vancouver for ~4 years and love it, logistically easiest. 

Victoria is pretty special, I'd love the small class sizes and being able to bomb out to Jordan river to surf. 

The Okanagan is awesome but grew up there so I'm happy to explore new areas. 

NMP looks like it has many amazing opportunities, but I think I'd be happiest at another site. Still ranked it though. 

I went 1. VFMP 2. IMP 3. SMP 4. NMP

I've lived in Vancouver for ~4 years and love it, logistically easiest. 

Victoria is pretty special, I'd love the small class sizes and being able to bomb out to Jordan river to surf. 

The Okanagan is awesome but grew up there so I'm happy to explore new areas. 

NMP looks like it has many amazing opportunities, but I think I'd be happiest at another site. Still ranked it though. 

My understanding was that you can only rank NMP if you filled out the rural section of the application, which is why I didn't select it.

I also ranked VFMP first. I'm from Toronto and definitely prefer to live in a big city like Vancouver and I like a large class size because you have the opportunity to select your friends and people you want to hang out with (also from my understanding, bigger classes are more diverse) instead of being put into a class of 30 students (inevitably, 1-2 people who you may not really prefer to spend your time with).  

For those that interviewed this cycle, which site did you rank as your first choice? Feel free to share a bit about why!  :)

Also, if any current students would like to share about their current site and what they like/dislike about it, that'd be stellar. :D

Great question!

I chose VFMP as my first choice.  I basically grew up in Vancouver, and I absolutely love it!  Almost all of the activities I've done have been in Vancouver.  Because of this, I know many people of different backgrounds who I have had the pleasure to meet and work with.  Unfortunately, I don't have this sort of strong network in the other sites.  So, staying in Vancouver is a definite preference of mine.  On the other hand, family and my significant other are a bigger reason why I chose VFMP.  I receive a lot of support from them, and I give support back.  Although it is quite possible to visit frequently if I were to go to other sites, I'd rather save the trouble by just choosing VFMP haha :P .

But honestly, all in all, it doesn't really matter which site.  At the end of the day, I would be very grateful to be accepted by UBC :) .  It's been my dream for quite a long time to study medicine at UBC, and finally having it come true this year would definitely shed a few tears of joy haha  :lol:  .

It was a tough decision but I ultimately chose the SMP as my first choice. The increased number of classmates for VFMP was a really attractive aspect, but I am not suited for big city life. Kelowna is quite similar in many ways to my home town (I'm OOP), and this really governed my decision. I can't remember exactly, but I think I remember them saying during the site information session that during clerkship at the SMP you are often the only medical student in the hospital, so you get a ton of exposure that you wouldn't otherwise get from some of the other sites. Not sure if this is correct or not, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

Does anything think or know if they have higher changes of getting accepted if they apply to the not-so sought after ones? (ie NMP?)

Admissions has said on their blog that the admissions committee is blinded to the applicant's site preferences, so site selection does not play a role in being offered admission. Apparently, they generate a master list of successful applicants, and offer applicants their top preference until that site is full.

• 2 weeks later...

1. IMP (Victoria) - interested in Public Health and wanted the opportunity to engage with BC Health folks, also want the small class size

2. SMP (Kelowna) - small class size and wine country living ain't so bad

3. VFMP (Vancouver) - because I will go wherever they take me!

1. SMP- I like the smaller class size, proximity to Big White, and access to all kinds of sports. I have family in the area so as an OOP that is appealing.

2. NMP- I intend to practice rurally so its a no-brainer to train where I hope to work. Lots of skiing around PG is a plus.

3. IMP- The island is beautiful and again the smaller class size is appealing. The pitch made by students at the interview greatly informed my #3 decision.

4. VFMP- Big city living (great food), lots of family near by, access to many hospitals and research. I love the city and S park is an incredible place to run/exercise.

I wouldn't be sad to wind up at any of UBC's sites.

Not the best, but probably most favoured ;)

Yeah, who wouldn't want to pay $1200 for an SRO room that's been given a fresh coat of paint and re-branded as a "micro-loft"? ;)

[bitter Vancouver resident here.]

• 5 weeks later...

Archived