Premed 101 Forums

Uottawa Now Requires Mcat!

These are generally valid points, but not specific to the context here. Basically if you are a franco-Ontarian, you have access from one to three seats in Quebec (at Sherbrooke, UdeM, and Laval), outside of Ottawa and if applicable NOSM. Otherwise, if you have weaker English skills, you now have to face one of the biggest hurdles for even native English speakers. And what really for? - all of immediate the subsequent education will be in French. Yes - having more than one language is beneficial, but the Canadian (especially Ottawa area) bilingual model of officially accepting French is based on the population within the area. Franco-Ontarians were excluded from learning French at schools, which really impacted their society. Wynne made a formal apology recently for treatment towards Franco-Ontarians.

The overall percentage you give at 26% is based on including all the Quebec seats, which really doesn't mean that much to the general French context, since Quebecers almost overwhelming (especially francophones) stay in Quebec. I agree that there are many other disenfranchised linguistic minorities in Canada, but that doesn't mean the concerns of the franco-Ontarians should be just brushed aside.

Also, outside of the French stream at Ottawa, I've never seen that French is needed to apply there.

You're right, including Quebec schools wasn't fair in this context. However 5% of seats in Ontario are French stream, and 4% of Ontarians are Francophone. So again, there is no systematic bias here.

Beyond this, the playing field is still level. All students applying to the French stream will require the MCAT, and then all students will have to interview in French. And again, this may be in response to failures in Ottawa's former admissions policy that failed to "weed out" students without scientific literacy. So I can imagine a cutoff situation in play here, as is the case at most Ontario schools where once the cutoff is met, all else is equal.

This again follows their mission... introducing the MCAT allows for them to create a baseline level for scientific aptitude in the English stream, while in the French stream I can see how it my benefit those with advanced knowledge of both languages, but again... they explicitly state that bilingualism is valued in applicants.

Is it stressful to write a test in English when you plan to practice in French? Sure. But if everyone who applies has to do it, it ensures a baseline scientific ability and promotes their mission of bilingualism, I don't see how it's unfair. They could have been more tactful about its implementation though, that I agree with 100%.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GUYS. 

GREAT NEWS! EXCELLENT NEWS! AMAZING NEWS!!!!! I TOLD YOU THAT SENDING COMPLAINTS AND LETTERS AND CALLING HELPS!!!!!!!!

I sent a letter and it was forwarded to the Admissions committee. I just got a phone call 5 minutes ago from Diane Parent and they have decided that....

THE MCAT WILL NOT BE REQUIRED THIS YEAR FOR BOTH ENGLISH AND FRENCH STREAMS!!!!

I asked if I could have that in writing lol, and they said they will update the website by the end of the week.

I asked for the reqs for following years and they said they don't know whether they will require it next year or not.

She mentioned that if you ALREADY took the MCAT and feel like sending it, you can. But it will not affect your admission and those who don't send the MCAT will not be affected cause IT IS NOT USED TOWARDS THE ADMISSIONS CRITERIA this year. (they just wanna see how many ppl actually did the MCAT for other universities, for statistics for future years.)

I confirmed with her time and time again that the MCAT WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AT ALL THIS APPLICATION CYCLE 2017.

GUYS. 

GREAT NEWS! EXCELLENT NEWS! AMAZING NEWS!!!!! I TOLD YOU THAT SENDING COMPLAINTS AND LETTERS AND CALLING HELPS!!!!!!!!

I sent a letter and it was forwarded to the Admissions committee. I just got a phone call 5 minutes ago from Diane Parent and they have decided that....

I asked if I could have that in writing lol, and they said they will update the website by the end of the week.

I asked for the reqs for following years and they said they don't know whether they will require it next year or not.

She mentioned that if you ALREADY took the MCAT and feel like sending it, you can. But it will not affect your admission and those who don't send the MCAT will not be affected cause IT IS NOT USED TOWARDS THE ADMISSIONS CRITERIA this year. (they just wanna see how many ppl actually did the MCAT for other universities, for statistics for future years.)

I confirmed with her time and time again that the MCAT WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AT ALL THIS APPLICATION CYCLE 2017.

Thank you so much for contacting them! 

GUYS. 

This is huge. Can you confirm what the rule is next cycle?

Can anyone else confirm this?

If anyone wants to confirm, call Ottawa U admissions or wait a couple of days for the website to be updated.

This is huge. Can you confirm what the rule is next cycle?

For the 2018 cycle, I asked but they said they still don't know what's happening with that!

If anyone wants to confirm, call Ottawa U admissions or wait a couple of days for the website to be updated.

For the 2018 cycle, I asked but they said they still don't know what's happening with that!

I hope they eliminate it because if they are truly bilingual university, they need to stop making MCAT compulsory. It should be optional...Why should a french student doing their studies in French and not english go through a stressful english MCAT. While they can add additional points for bilingualism or MCAT, the uni has no right to penalize applicants for not knowing english by making MCAT mandatory. This is just unjust on uOttawa's part.

I hope they eliminate it because if they are truly bilingual university, they need to stop making MCAT compulsory. It should be optional...Why should a french student doing their studies in French and not english go through a stressful english MCAT. While they can add additional points for bilingualism or MCAT, the uni has no right to penalize applicants for not knowing english by making MCAT mandatory. This is just unjust on uOttawa's part.

That's what McGill does, minus the bonus.

But here's the thing, extra points for MCAT makes it de facto mandatory in such a brutal competition where the difference between first person to get in and the first person not to is essentially a hair's width in application strength.

If I was Ottawa, I'd make the MCAT optional and make it worth 50% of the academic score for students who submit it. That way a 3.80 and 518 MCAT can compete with the 3.98s.

That's what McGill does, minus the bonus.

But here's the thing, extra points for MCAT makes it de facto mandatory in such a brutal competition where the difference between first person to get in and the first person not to is essentially a hair's width in application strength.

If I was Ottawa, I'd make the MCAT optional and make it worth 50% of the academic score for students who submit it. That way a 3.80 and 518 MCAT can compete with the 3.98s.

I agree with the above. That is what I actually wanted to say...I think you should email uOttawa asking them to reconsider their policies...

I agree with the above. That is what I actually wanted to say...I think you should email uOttawa asking them to reconsider their policies...

My system for scoring academics would be 0.5*(GPA percentile) + 0.5*(MCAT percentile) OR just GPA percentile.

If you create a standardized GPA based on the applicants you can weigh the academic score so for (a rough and back of the napkin) example:

hipoSLR.png

tEXd1XA.png

A student with a 3.92 would fall in the 92nd percentile and receive a score of 92 for academics.

A student with a 3.80 and a 519 MCAT would get 0.5*(80) + 0.5*(98) = 89 for academics.

And now they have a shot, whereas a 3.80 is a no go for Ottawa normally.

My system for scoring academics would be 0.5*(GPA percentile) + 0.5*(MCAT percentile) OR just GPA percentile.

If you create a standardized GPA based on the applicants you can weigh the academic score so for (a rough and back of the napkin) example:

hipoSLR.png

tEXd1XA.png

A student with a 3.92 would fall in the 92nd percentile and receive a score of 92 for academics.

A student with a 3.80 and a 519 MCAT would get 0.5*(80) + 0.5*(98) = 89 for academics.

And now they have a shot, whereas a 3.80 is a no go for Ottawa normally.

This is a really good idea or they could remove it completely to make things simple.

So to confirm, I have attached an email I received from Diane. And no my name is not Garen, it's an account I made up because I didn't want to email from my own email they have on account (I know I'm paranoid, whatever).

There we go. So basically, if you wrote the MCAT, send it. But the score is not taken in consideration. 

And lol, they know me by name :/, I even sent my letter from my Uottawa email. I figured if I showed I was a student at their institution, they might open the email and read it...

So who was talking here about how emailing them and expressing concerns wouldn't do any good?

This is what my post was about earlier. This is the communication that is needed to happen between adcoms and students. We didn't know if they would listen, but they did and that's all we were banking on. Good day for my francophone friends! 

So who was talking here about how emailing them and expressing concerns wouldn't do any good?

This is what my post was about earlier. This is the communication that is needed to happen between adcoms and students. We didn't know if they would listen, but they did and that's all we were banking on. Good day for my francophone friends! 

Bruhh, I supported you bruh!

Question:

Something isnt adding up for me "(they just wanna see how many ppl actually did the MCAT for other universities, for statistics for future years.)"

Can't Ottawa ALREADY see who did the MCAT/their score, since we release it to OMSAS?

Their reasoning for trying to incorporate it this cycle just doesnt make sense to me..

Question:

Something isnt adding up for me "(they just wanna see how many ppl actually did the MCAT for other universities, for statistics for future years.)"

Can't Ottawa ALREADY see who did the MCAT/their score, since we release it to OMSAS?

Their reasoning for trying to incorporate it this cycle just doesnt make sense to me..

It wasn't their reasoning, it was conjecture from posters on this forum. I'm sure they have plentiful info on what applicants' MCATs are, regardless of whether they were considered during admissions or not.

If they decide to have a hard implementation in the future I would assume it's being considered. There's no reason to think that the school is asking applicants to spend an entire summer and hundreds of dollars just for an experiment.

It wasn't their reasoning, it was conjecture from posters on this forum. I'm sure they have plentiful info on what applicants' MCATs are, regardless of whether they were considered during admissions or not.

If they decide to have a hard implementation in the future I would assume it's being considered. There's no reason to think that the school is asking applicants to spend an entire summer and hundreds of dollars just for an experiment.

Exactly. Makes me think they've seen such a jump in GPA's this year/last that they're looking to evaluate academics in some other way, i.e. by using the MCAT to some extent. And they want data before making any decisions, which most schools probably do. 

Honestly, while adding it this year would have been unfair, I 100% think it's good to implement for the English stream eventually. There's a point when GPA starts reflecting course choice, uni major, and professor's moods more than student capability, and I think a 3.95+ average certainly crosses that line. And my guess is that given the recent additions of casper and maybe MCATs, Ottawa U has noticed that too

I don't understand. Do you mean that they will be considering the MCAT for this year? Cause the email sent from Diane Parent to j17f/"Garen" clearly states that 

"The MCAT scores this year will not be factored in the admissions criteria".

I don't understand. Do you mean that they will be considering the MCAT for this year? Cause the email sent from Diane Parent to j17f/"Garen" clearly states that 

"The MCAT scores this year will not be factored in the admissions criteria".

I am applying to french stream and it appears to me that regardless of the answer/s provided by UofO, the optics of not having MCAT will not be positive. I am registering and writing my MCAT as soon as possible. Better safe than sorry, especially since they would 'prefer to see it', as it appears from all the exchanges. It all sounds too fishy... 

Archived