Premed 101 Forums

Which Canadian Medical Schools Do Not Require The Mcat?

now that ottawa requires the MCAT, which Canadian medical schools do not require the MCAT? are there schools that either do not require it or have it as "optional" ?

as an ontario applicant, can I apply to schools in Quebec? do they have a french-language requirement?

Thank you in advanced

McGill & NOSM do not require MCAT. If you graduate from a non-Canadian university, McGill will require MCAT. 

McGill takes a very limited number of OOPs and your grades must be stellar to qualify for a start.

NOSM requires rural or northern context.

Franco schools have no MCAT requirement but all courses, all exams are in French. If you have no Franco family history, even with French, your chances are slim to none. And these schools look at the difficulty of your program, a high GPA in a relatively easy program is a non-starter.

You have to pass a French test for UdeM and Laval, but not Sherbrooke. As a Ontarian, you absolutely can apply for the French schools.

As Bambi pointed out though, if you will be studying in French. The textbooks they use are in English, but the classes and exams are in French.

French school are not pass-fail. They give letter grades. So if you're scraping by with a 65 on all your exams, it will show up on your transcript (unlike the English schools where your 65 is as much as pass as a classmate's 95).

There is one seat at Sherbrooke that someone from Ontario could apply to.  A few more are specified for Atlantic provinces.  I believe (not positive) UdeM and Laval each have an additional general seat (OOP).  In all cases you have to sign a partial ROS as a non-Quebecer.  Some reference books are in English, but I wouldn't even apply unless you have functionally excellent French.  

now that ottawa requires the MCAT, which Canadian medical schools do not require the MCAT? are there schools that either do not require it or have it as "optional" ?

as an ontario applicant, can I apply to schools in Quebec? do they have a french-language requirement?

Thank you in advanced

Whoa. Really?  I need to check out their website now.  

Archived