Premed 101 Forums

DOCTOR SUSPENDED FOR COMING FORWARD ABOUT SEXUAL HARASSMENT

rmorelan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To mods: assuming its the poster who posted this last week...maybe want to make her post history temporarily not searchable? Though I assume they would have thought about that before going public, but in vulnerable state may have forgot. Not that they necessarily have anything incriminating but maybe twisted and used against them

1 hour ago, sangria said:

I hope that even if/when she gets reinstated, she doesn't have a target on her back and then gets booted out for some nebulous "professionalism" BS.

that is a risky - although without knowing the clear details doing anything like that is just bound to cause more attention. This person has already proven they will not go quietly into the background. Everyone involved now are going to have a lot of attention thrown on them. 

9 minutes ago, osteoarthritis said:

lul, after going to MMIs asking about how empathetic i am and shit, the schools holding those MMIs go ahead and do this

The timing of this is less than ideal for them - interviews and carms rank lists are due etc. Ha I am sure no matter who is in on the right there PR people are in over drive.

She is alleging she was suspended for reporting sexual harassment.

NOSM is alleging she was not suspended for reporting sexual harassment. They do not provide details of the alleged reporting dates.

At this point, hard to believe either. Onus is on the accuser to provide independent corroborating proof (independent of the accusation itself). If she can provide emails from NOSM to her detailing her "suspension as a result of coming out" to the media, that would be great. Till then I will suspend my belief in either allegations.

If students will be ranking NOSM low based on this, these students have some other problems.

22 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

To mods: assuming its the poster who posted this last week...maybe want to make her post history temporarily not searchable? Though I assume they would have thought about that before going public, but in vulnerable state may have forgot. Not that they necessarily have anything incriminating but maybe twisted and used against them

Are you suggesting board members to obstruct justice by hiding evidence? You know that hiding evidence when police is investigating a crime scene is a criminal offense?

2 minutes ago, mrsarcastic99 said:

Are you suggesting board members to obstruct justice by hiding evidence? You know that hiding evidence when police is investigating a crime scene is a criminal offense?

I don't think any one is suggesting that :) Plus there is no actual police investigation as far as I know. We have no definitely evidence the person before is the same person (although the similarities are shall we say highly suggestive).

1 hour ago, mrsarcastic99 said:

Speaking of old posts, it's unsettling that you only choose to post whenever the thread is related to accusations of sexual misconduct. It's also interesting that you try to find every reason to cast doubt on the credibility of the accuser.

17 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

I don't think any one is suggesting that :) Plus there is no actual police investigation as far as I know. We have no definitely evidence the person before is the same person (although the similarities are shall we say highly suggestive).

That is true. This is not a crime scene and police is not investigating. But the ethical principle applies outside of criminal investigations as well. Ethical principle to not destroy or hide evidence of any sort. Our Criminal Code is and Criminal Law and is made by the Parliament, and the Parliament uses common sensical expectations of society to determine what should be legal and illegal.

9 minutes ago, SunAndMoon said:

Speaking of old posts, it's unsettling that you only choose to post whenever the thread is related to accusations of sexual misconduct. It's also interesting that you try to find every reason to cast doubt on the credibility of the accuser.

So?
I was a lawyer before I switched to healthcare. So what if I am interested in legal issues surrounding these kind of allegations?

I am not attacking anyones credibility. I am asking for evidence and proof which is what we do in law and also in medicine and in general in everyday life. If that evidence/proof undermines the credibility of the accuser, or of anyone for that matter, hey that is not my fucking fault!

On 2/15/2018 at 11:15 AM, rmorelan said:

The timing of this is less than ideal for them - interviews and carms rank lists are due etc. Ha I am sure no matter who is in on the right there PR people are in over drive.

NOSM will be first choice for few to begin with. So many better options out there, even if one wants to practise in a rural setting. 

If what she is saying is true, the suspension is baffling.  They seem to be suspending her for not telling all the details of the harassment?  Wtf is that?  Youre under no obligation to give every detail of harassment if someone is harassing you.  Even if they wanted the info, what a terrible way to go about it.  

For the rest of us, it really does highlight the lack of power you usually have as a resident.  Usually there is no issues and its not necessarily a big deal, but they power they have over you is really striking in cases like this

Just now, goleafsgochris said:

If what she is saying is true, the suspension is baffling.  They seem to be suspending her for not telling all the details of the harassment?  Wtf is that?  Youre under no obligation to give every detail of harassment if someone is harassing you.  Even if they wanted the info, what a terrible way to go about it.  

For the rest of us, it really does highlight the lack of power you usually have as a resident (and even moreso as a med student).  Usually there is no issues and its not necessarily a big deal, but they power they have over you is really striking in cases like this

45 minutes ago, jfdes said:

What would you say is a better option for an Ontario resident?

Lots of small towns in southern ON. Collingwood, Owen Sound, Mt Forest are all affiliated with McMaster. Petrolia, Hanover, and Goderich are all affiliated with Western. Belleville is affiliated with Queens.  Pembroke and Winchester are affiliated with Ottawa. Plus, if you are planning to go rural anyways, there is no reason why you need to remain in ON. I did electives in BC and Dal and they have very strong rural programs too. Manitoba's rural programs are solid too.

20 minutes ago, hamham said:

Lots of small towns in southern ON. Collingwood, Owen Sound, Mt Forest are all affiliated with McMaster. Petrolia, Hanover, and Goderich are all affiliated with Western. Belleville is affiliated with Queens.  Pembroke and Winchester are affiliated with Ottawa. Plus, if you are planning to go rural anyways, there is no reason why you need to remain in ON. I did electives in BC and Dal and they have very strong rural programs too. Manitoba's rural programs are solid too.

the med school in this regard you could argue is not important if YOU want rural medicine. There is a policy reason for it - to get students that do want to work more rural so we have enough of them, but if you are already going that way it doesn't matter. You can get a residency in rural medicine quite easily if you want it which is where you actually learn the medicine. Even if you didn't go that it isn't like you wouldn't get hired in rural areas again if YOU wanted to be there. 

Archived