Premed 101 Forums

University Of British Columbia 2016 Applicants - Class Of 2020

bcftw123

I've just submitted my application and paid the fee. I thought I was all done, however, my application status says:

The following information is required before an evaluation can be completed:

• BMLS Letter of Academic Intent
    Your letter of academic intent must outline your academic goals and the reasons why you should be considered for admission to UBC. Please upload your letter of intent through your Student Service Centre account at https://ssc.adm.ubc.ca/sscportal with your full name and UBC student number

​What is this? And why wasn't it listed anywhere else until now? 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just submitted my application and paid the fee. I thought I was all done, however, my application status says:

The following information is required before an evaluation can be completed:

• BMLS Letter of Academic Intent
    Your letter of academic intent must outline your academic goals and the reasons why you should be considered for admission to UBC. Please upload your letter of intent through your Student Service Centre account at https://ssc.adm.ubc.ca/sscportal with your full name and UBC student number

​What is this? And why wasn't it listed anywhere else until now? 

That's appears to be BMLS. You came to the wrong forum, pal. *Gets baseball bat.* Just jokes, this is the forum for Entry-to-Practice Pharm.D.

Yes, I applied to Pharm D, hence my confusion.

The BMLS came up under the necessary documents needed for my Pharm D application - not a Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Sciences. Maybe it's just a mistake on UBC's behalf? 

I tried calling to ask about it, but alas, no luck. Did you figure it out yet?

I just finished my PharmD application. I didn't see anything regarding a letter of academic intent. Also, did anyone have to input courses anywhere? Such as in the personal profile? I just listed the schools I attended (high school and University), and that's it. i did not list any courses I took. I did mail my academic transcripts though.

I had arbitrarily selected BMLS as my second-choice since the online application wouldn't let me submit it unless I chose a second program. UBC Admissions got back to me and clarified:

The Letter of Academic Intent is only required If you wish to be considered for your second program choice.  If you do not wish to submit it, then your second program choice will not be considered.

Also, no, I didn't have to input which courses I took - just the institutions. 

What are my chances if my first year prereq average is 70 and I failed 2 second year pre-req courses and retook them and got 75 in both. My last 30 credit average is 82 and I have 200+ volunteering hours at a pharmacy and a couple different organizations. Will the fact that I failed 2 courses affect my application? Is my first year avg too low to be considered for an interview?

Hi guys,

I am stressed out at the moment. I just reviewed my application and I noticed that I have made two mistakes regarding the date on my extracurricular activities. What should I do? I understand that I can no longer modify it but can I phone them or send any letter to notify them about it?

Thanks

Submitted my application a while ago, and am just waiting now :) Has anyone's transcripts been received and processed by UBC yet? They say that it'll take a while for them to process it, but I sent in my interim transcript 4 weeks ago...

I just got an email this morning at 4:37am saying all my information was received, so im guessing the transcripts were the last thing they processed.

Hi guys,

I am stressed out at the moment. I just reviewed my application and I noticed that I have made two mistakes regarding the date on my extracurricular activities. What should I do? I understand that I can no longer modify it but can I phone them or send any letter to notify them about it?

Thanks

You can try, but I don't think you will be able to because it is after January 31. HOWEVER, 2 of my friends already in pharmacy are both fairly certain that they don't even verify your extra curricular. It's likely a method where they just check random people, rather than everybody (or maybe even no one at all???). I wouldn't worry too much. Just be more careful if you have to apply a second time. One year isn't that long in the grand scheme of things.

You can try, but I don't think you will be able to because it is after January 31. HOWEVER, 2 of my friends already in pharmacy are both fairly certain that they don't even verify your extra curricular. It's likely a method where they just check random people, rather than everybody (or maybe even no one at all???). I wouldn't worry too much. Just be more careful if you have to apply a second time. One year isn't that long in the grand scheme of things.

Oh, I understand very well that I can no longer modify the profile. What I was wondering about is whether it is worth it to notify them about the mistakes so they won't think I am lying about how long I volunteered or work in certain positions.

As well, would someone please tell me what is the stats of applicant to interview to admittance please? I can only find quoted numbers but I can't find the source of it.

Thanks

Submitted my application a while ago, and am just waiting now :) Has anyone's transcripts been received and processed by UBC yet? They say that it'll take a while for them to process it, but I sent in my interim transcript 4 weeks ago...

Don't stress, it takes time. They received mine 3 weeks ago (mail website says so) and still haven't updated it.

Remember, it's run by the undergrad office, so they gotta deal with all the high school kids applying for every single undergrad program at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I was wondering if UBC's "Entry-to-Practice PharmD Degree" is program for becoming a pharmacist... I was just confused because they put it under undergraduate studies and have a whole list of other programs offered for pharmacy. 

Yeah. They've switched over to entry-to-pharmD so there's no more BSc Pharm at UBC anymore. 

Oh, I understand very well that I can no longer modify the profile. What I was wondering about is whether it is worth it to notify them about the mistakes so they won't think I am lying about how long I volunteered or work in certain positions.

As well, would someone please tell me what is the stats of applicant to interview to admittance please? I can only find quoted numbers but I can't find the source of it.

Thanks

Sorry for the heavy dose of sass you're about to receive but yes, I know exactly what you asked and my answer remains exactly as I had previously stated.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe they will start sending out a response on April 1 (I know right!?) and I'm so nervous because there is 5 days left if they respond at the same time this year :/

They sent out interview invites on April 1st last year? That's so sketchy LOL

Archived