Premed 101 Forums

McGill M.D.,C.M. Interview Invites / Regrets 2019

cardiomed

As we approach the target date for interview invitations I thought it may be appropriate to start this thread!

TIME STAMP: XX:XX
Result: Invite / Reject
cGPA:
Feeling about Casper:
ECs: 
Year: UG (what year), Masters, PhD

IP/OOP/International:

Letter of EC: Yes/No

Comments (Optional):

Good Luck to all and may the odds be ever in your favor!

- CardioMed

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIME STAMP: 9:28
Result: Refused (checked Minerva)
cGPA: 3.7x
Feeling about Casper: Good enough to land interviews at Mac and Ottawa
ECs: Extensive and broad; a lot of research with pubs
Year: Done my UG, working.

IP/OOP/International: OOP

Letter of EC: Yes

MCAT: 516 

Comments (Optional): I wrote what I thought was a very heartfelt letter but in retrospect may have made me look like a weaker applicant. I did not expect much as I know McGill has very high standards with regards to GPA and there was no way around it, my GPA was well below average. I thought maybe my MCAT would redeem me as would my ECs but I know they are very academic heavy for earning interviews. Best of luck to everyone else!

TIME STAMP: 9:40 am (Checked Minerva) 
Result: Refused 
cGPA: 3.99 I think (Different from OMSAS scale)
Feeling about Casper: Good enough for interview at Mac with 130 CARS, R from Ottawa, so probably mediocre at best
ECs: Cardiology clinic volunteer 3+ years, multiple research positions, 1 abstract + poster, no pubs. President of a club, intramurals, overall quite diverse
Year: 4th year 

Letter of EC: Not too sure what this is? 

Comments (Optional): I know it is difficult to get an interview OOP, I still wanted to give it a go. I wish I spent more time writing my CV, and actually called my school to get my AP scores (scored high on the AP French exam, maybe they need some more proof of proficiency). Best of luck to everyone interviewing! 

TIME STAMP: 10:30
Result: Invite (checked Minerva)
cGPA: ~3.95 I think 
Feeling about Casper: Was unsure of how it went. I did a little bit of prep which I felt helped. 
ECs: Varied, lots of long term activities, research, leadership positions, etc.
Year: UG 4

Letter of EC: No

Comments (Optional): I felt that my CV displayed the best of me and put a lot of time into it. 

10 minutes ago, dehindu said:

TIME STAMP: 9:40 am (Checked Minerva) 
cGPA: 3.99 I think (Different from OMSAS scale)
Feeling about Casper: Good enough for interview at Mac with 130 CARS, R from Ottawa, so probably mediocre at best
ECs: Cardiology clinic volunteer 3+ years, multiple research positions, 1 abstract + poster, no pubs. President of a club, intramurals, overall quite diverse
Year: 4th year 

Letter of EC: Not too sure what this is? 

Comments (Optional): I know it is difficult to get an interview OOP, I still wanted to give it a go. I wish I spent more time writing my CV, and actually called my school to get my AP scores (scored high on the AP French exam, maybe they need some more proof of proficiency). Best of luck to everyone interviewing! 

EC means letter of extenuating circumstances. Essentially an explanation for why your grades may not reflect your ability. I wrote one as my early years GPA didn't match up to my later years GPA/MCAT score for example. People also write them if they had a death in the family say or some adverse event that may affect their application or grades.

TIME STAMP: 09:18AM
Result: Invite! (checked Minerva)
cGPA: 4.00
Feeling about Casper: I prepped a lot for it, and I found it went smoothly overall! 

MCAT: Not submitted
ECs: Volunteered at psychology clinic (abt. 300 hours), volunteer at ICU (abt. 100 hours), piano instructor (2 years), mentor for high school students (8 months), co-founder of charity sports event, VP of two university clubs, research in 2 labs (3 years +), 3 poster presentations and 1 research conference presentation award, 2 NSERC USRA, scholarships, etc. (PM for more information :)) 
Year: Finished UG in December 2018

IP/OOP/International: IP

TIME STAMP: 9:50 AM EST (checked Minerva)
Result: INVITE!!!!
cGPA: 3.50
Feeling about Casper: Felt pretty great - it was my second time writing it and I felt so much better about it than the first time 
ECs: A lot of leadership, research (in multiple areas), teaching (all levels), community involvement, work ( a lot of ECs)
Year: Finished Masters - working as an RD

IP/OOP/International: IP NTP

Letter of EC: Yes 

Comments (Optional): Med deserves diversity in its applicants, so apply! Even if you don't think you have a chance

Writing this for future applicants

For: MDCM/PhD

TIME STAMP: 10:19 am (Checked Minerva) 
cGPA: 3.75 
Feeling about Casper: It was okay, I guess
ECs: Research (several years + awards), volunteering, student publications etc.

I think if I had more publications, they might have taken me more seriously, but OOP is OOP! I attended a top American school with a tough grading system, which is not really optimal here. 

TIME STAMP: 1015
Result: Invite!!!! 
wGPA: 4.00
ECs: first author on 3 journal paper and first author and presenter on around 19 abstracts, volunteer in africa, cancer centre volunteer, research group mentor and manager, and athletics, VP of a school club, etc.
Year: 1st undergraduate degree (2015): cGPA 2.2, second degree (2018): cGPA : 4.0 Currently finishing MSc. 

IP/OOP/International: IP

Just now, cardiomed said:

ECs: first author on 3 journal paper and first author and presenter on around 19 abstracts, volunteer in africa, cancer centre volunteer, research group mentor and manager, and athletics, VP of a school club, etc.
Year: 1st undergraduate degree (2015): cGPA 2.2, second degree (2018): cGPA : 4.0 Currently finishing MSc. 

Congratulations! Nice improvement from first to second degree! 

11 minutes ago, asuddenrainstorm said:

Where is everyone checking their status? My Mineva account still says Ready for Review :/

You're checking at the right place, it just does not update at the same time for everyone...basically you will keep refreshing minerva and will not be very productive today lol. The change in status on Minerva start in the morning and go on until late afternoon usually as observed in threads from previous years. 

3 minutes ago, obiwankenobi said:

Congratulations! Nice improvement from first to second degree! 

4 minutes ago, cardiomed said:

Agreed -- fantastic improvement -- how did you complete your second degree?  (online and/or using a lot of transfer credits?)

Congratulations!

Result: Invite 
cGPA: 3.99 (second undergrad)
Feeling about Casper: I guess okay! Last year I scored 220/817, should be around that again. 
ECs: 5 summer internships in research, 2 CRNSG grants, lots of student governments, lots of volunteering, etc
Year: 1st year of Masters degree

Comments (Optional): Second year interviewing at mcgill

TIME STAMP: ~10:30
Result: Waitlisted (
Reviewed - Decision Pending)
cGPA: 3.88; post-bac/science GPA is 4.0. 
MCAT527
Feeling about Casper: Felt good, did well enough to get an interview at McMaster!
ECs: Not great, honestly. Have been working full-time as a medical writer/editor for about 8 years--worked as an RA for a while in undergrad and after with one publication (as like 12th author) to my name, very little volunteer experience but I've been trying to put in a few more things this year. Professional musician.
Year: Graduated UG in 2010, went for post-Bacc 2016-2017

Comments (Optional): I'm pretty gutted, honestly. I got an interview last year and was waitlisted post-interview...I was like 4 people away. I was really feeling hopeful that I would get an interview this year considering I did last year and I feel my application has only improved.

Just now, ridcullylives said:

TIME STAMP: ~10:30
Result: Waitlisted (
Reviewed - Decision Pending)
cGPA: 3.88; post-bac/science GPA is 4.0. 
MCAT527
Feeling about Casper: Felt good, did well enough to get an interview at McMaster!
ECs: Not great, honestly. Have been working full-time as a medical writer/editor for about 8 years--worked as an RA for a while in undergrad and after with one publication (as like 12th author) to my name, very little volunteer experience but I've been trying to put in a few more things this year. Professional musician.
Year: Graduated UG in 2010, went for post-Bacc 2016-2017

Comments (Optional): I'm pretty gutted, honestly. I got an interview last year and was waitlisted post-interview...I was like 4 people away. I was really feeling hopeful that I would get an interview this year considering I did last year and I feel my application has only improved.

Hahaha man what do you mean average! Your ECs define holistic applicant. Also, that is an absurd MCAT score and GPA. Best of luck my friend, you will get in somewhere eventually.

10 minutes ago, 20206111 said:

Result: Invite 
cGPA: 3.99 (second undergrad)
Feeling about Casper: I guess okay! Last year I scored 220/817, should be around that again. 
ECs: 5 summer internships in research, 2 CRNSG grants, lots of student governments, lots of volunteering, etc
Year: 1st year of Masters degree

Comments (Optional): Second year interviewing at McGill

How have you received your CASPer grade? What does 220/817 mean?

TIME STAMP: 10:40
Result: Waitlisted

cGPA: 3.84. 
Feeling about Casper: Didnt feel very good. almost didnt finish answering any of the questions....
ECs: Pretty average i guess... Most of them are paid jobs in graphic design/web design.. so not really related to medicine...
Year: Graduated UG in 2017

IP/OOP/International: IP

Letter of EC: No

Comments: 1st time apply.. just created the account to post this lol

Archived