Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
KeyzerSoze

Post-interview discussion

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, elenaps5 said:

Didn’t have mine yet! How did it go? PS great username lol. 

I thought it was fine. I mean there are a few things that now I'm like "dang I shoulda said that" but I think everyone feels that way to an extent. That and my interviewers had kind of a poker face, so all in all I have no idea. I tend to lean towards being self-critical though.

And Usual Suspects is a great film. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'

But yeah, everyone will always feel they could have answered something differently. They are not looking for the right answer, they are looking for your personality and how you think. You should be proud, this is a huge milestone and you DID IT. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought it went really well walking out, but I may be wrong since post-interview feelings do not always correlate with outcomes. Id say it was a blend of smiles, nods, and straight face. At one point, interviewer asked me a controversial question and I answered honestly and genuinely and I got a " what you said was excellent." Really praying everything works out!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I interviewed in the French Stream and my pannel was SO NICE. I was kinda shocked because I heard in the past that they were "poker face" but the two members from the faculty and the med student were smiling and nodding at my answers. Hopefully that was a good sign, but you never know, they were probably nice to everyone that day. Wishing you all luck! and hopefully we get to do that silly MED-1 video together next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 20206111 said:

I interviewed in the French Stream and my pannel was SO NICE. I was kinda shocked because I heard in the past that they were "poker face" but the two members from the faculty and the med student were smiling and nodding at my answers. Hopefully that was a good sign, but you never know, they were probably nice to everyone that day. Wishing you all luck! and hopefully we get to do that silly MED-1 video together next year.

I'm starting to notice a trend. @PlasticSurg has completed his/her undergrad. You've already done two, so I'm assuming you're both at least mid 20's. A few other posts I've read about interviewers being nice were also from older applicants. Perhaps interviewers are a bit more friendly to non-trads/older applicants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KeyzerSoze said:

I'm starting to notice a trend. @PlasticSurg has completed his/her undergrad. You've already done two, so I'm assuming you're both at least mid 20's. A few other posts I've read about interviewers being nice were also from older applicants. Perhaps interviewers are a bit more friendly to non-trads/older applicants.

That’s interesting. Maybe that’s still just chance? From those that have gap years/non-trad, was this something you emphasized? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some panels are nice, others are not. They usually are consistent throughout the day, so if you get a stone cold panel they will be like that for every one, if they're nice they tend to be nice all day. This topic has been mentioned for many years on here lol. Just try and continue living life, you got through such a huge hoop to get here, now the final waiting game :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can assure you this is definitely false. I’m older/non-trad and my panel was cold last year. 

To be honest, you shouldn’t overthink a nice/cold panel. They serve different purposes. 

Cold panels can make you feel stressed and they want to see how you respond to that. Friendly/warm panels can make you break professionalism and they, again, want to see how you respond to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Monocyte said:

I can assure you this is definitely false. I’m older/non-trad and my panel was cold last year. 

To be honest, you shouldn’t overthink a nice/cold panel. They serve different purposes. 

Cold panels can make you feel stressed and they want to see how you respond to that. Friendly/warm panels can make you break professionalism and they, again, want to see how you respond to that. 

I really hope so. Cuz I’m feeling worse and worse about my interview a few days ago. They didn’t smile at all. When I was asking questions at the end I tried making a bit of small talk and they didn’t bite. At all. Yeah I’m not feeling too well lol. I’m thinking maybe I gave off a really bad vibe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, KeyzerSoze said:

I really hope so. Cuz I’m feeling worse and worse about my interview a few days ago. They didn’t smile at all. When I was asking questions at the end I tried making a bit of small talk and they didn’t bite. At all. Yeah I’m not feeling too well lol. I’m thinking maybe I gave off a really bad vibe.

Last year I was just like you, I kept ruminating over my answers and beating myself up. I know it's so hard not to think about how you did, but try your best to do stuff to take your mind off of it.

Last year, I knew students who thought they did well post interview and didn't get in. While others thought they messed up completely and got in. It just shows how our post interview feelings are not necessarily an indication of how the interview actually went. 

Instead, congratulate yourself on completing the interview! You've made it this far. You should be proud of yourself for it! Best of luck in April and May!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may just be reporter bias or less interviewees who have that high of a gpa but it seems like people who have 3.99+ seem to get in quite frequently from past years, anyone else notice that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s because of the way you’re ranked post-interview. 

People who place in a particular “bin” of an interview score are then ranked according to their GPA. 

Example: if the highest bin is a hypothetical 4.0, and your GPA is 4.0, you’ll be at the top of the acceptance list and acceptances are send in descending order until they exhausted that bin and go to the next one, where the highest GPAs are again chosen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Monocyte said:

It’s because of the way you’re ranked post-interview. 

People who place in a particular “bin” of an interview score are then ranked according to their GPA. 

Example: if the highest bin is a hypothetical 4.0, and your GPA is 4.0, you’ll be at the top of the acceptance list and acceptances are send in descending order until they exhausted that bin and go to the next one, where the highest GPAs are again chosen. 

I know but technically couldn't someone with a 4.0 still be in a lower bin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. No one knows how many bins they go through, however, let's assume each bin has 50 candidates and your place within a bin has nothing to do with the stream to which you applied. 

They descend through the 50 until they exhausted that, then go through the next 50, then 50, then 14. That's 4 opportunities for people with 'higher' GPAs to get a call compared to the 3 opportunities for those with 'lower' GPAs because the 14 are those that rank the top of the list within that bin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Monocyte said:

Yes. No one knows how many bins they go through, however, let's assume each bin has 50 candidates and your place within a bin has nothing to do with the stream to which you applied. 

They descend through the 50 until they exhausted that, then go through the next 50, then 50, then 14. That's 4 opportunities for people with 'higher' GPAs to get a call compared to the 3 opportunities for those with 'lower' GPAs because the 14 are those that rank the top of the list within that bin. 

Okay thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×