Premed 101 Forums

RC waiting game

Hi all!

Just wondering who else has written/still writing and how the waiting game is going?

I am done but trying to distract as much as possible. There's so much I feel like I missed, shoulda said, etc. Full on self flagellation!

For those still to do part or all of their exams--good luck! feel free to PM me if you have questions about the la cite campus exam site.

best,

LL

Hey LL,

I hope you're doing well. I figure I'll share my story here. I was one of the first groups to go through this year, 2 days written, 2 days oral, and found out about a month ago now. That waiting period for me was the worst 2 weeks of the year, and that’s saying a lot. I spent my time vacationing with family, and then back at work seeing some friends I had neglected during the study break, which helped. The night before I needed a serious distraction – I went to go see Avengers last minute, but my girlfriend didn’t want to sit in the front row (which was all that was left). So I got up and drove straight across the city to another theatre – I really wanted to see it before the plot was spoiled to me, and REALLY needed a serious distraction that night. I was up at like 3am sending emails and personal commentaries on the recently released RC specialty employment report. I wasn’t expecting results 10am ET, but rolled out of bed to see a message from a colleague and saw they were out early. In my morning stupor I just clicked the link before I could talk myself out of it, and there was the good news.

Since then, it’s been a huge relief and just preparation for next year’s fellowship, wrapping up projects, and sending out bunch of job applications. So the post news is great, but the lead up when it’s all of your control at that point is excruciating. Definitely my colleagues and I were double guessing everything, and even coming out of the orals day 2 some people were in near tears. But it went well for them in the end, (although still ~ 5% failure rate held true for others…), I found it really difficult to have self-insight on that exam. Talking to jr attendings, it was the same for them as well, in that you come out of it feeling like crap, but it should work out in the end.

I know we’re in different specialties, but I imagine it’s a similar feeling across medicine. It’s tough now, but the results will come out at some point, and then it will be the biggest relief and celebrations ahead for you. I know you’re going to be an amazing attending, and I wish you all the best success happiness for your future.

JS

Awww thank you, both for sharing and for your personal well wishes and belief in me. 

Im on a relatively light rotation—positive because it meant bonus study time, negative because it means bonus worry time now. 

Half my wait was consumed by vacation, and this half will be consumed with seeing friends, work, appointments, attending to my home which is a disaster (in my eyes at least) after 6 months of my neglect. 

Since I’m subspecializing, I’m in the clear for now in terms of not having to jump through getting new staff documentation and licensing stuff done...again, helpful and stressful simultaneously. I am somewhat jealous of those who begin earning actual income in about a month. 

Congrats on passing your exam and best wishes on the next steps of your training and career. I hope we cross paths and can catch up in person!

best,

LL (you know who I am—no secrets for many years now :))

1 hour ago, LostLamb said:

Awww thank you, both for sharing and for your personal well wishes and belief in me. 

Im on a relatively light rotation—positive because it meant bonus study time, negative because it means bonus worry time now. 

Half my wait was consumed by vacation, and this half will be consumed with seeing friends, work, appointments, attending to my home which is a disaster (in my eyes at least) after 6 months of my neglect. 

Since I’m subspecializing, I’m in the clear for now in terms of not having to jump through getting new staff documentation and licensing stuff done...again, helpful and stressful simultaneously. I am somewhat jealous of those who begin earning actual income in about a month. 

Congrats on passing your exam and best wishes on the next steps of your training and career. I hope we cross paths and can catch up in person!

best,

LL (you know who I am—no secrets for many years now :))

Best of luck!

A few of my friends who are sub-specializing , still get their independent practice license, you could always pick up a few shifts in a community hospital over the weekend or overnight as a FRCPC  internist, 1-2 shifts pay the license fee already, their CMPA fees remain the same as a resident (you might have to ask around how to do that). Ultimately, it's up to you!

I wish all of you guys best of luck on Monday :) 

I was told it’s worth it to get the MOC done...I probably will since it’s relatively inexpensive and there will be plenty more expenses upcoming next year so getting any MOC done now for cheaper price (aka free) is worth it. Plus it’ll be one less thing to worry about for the first few years. 

Completely unscientific poll shows people are 50-50 on this. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2019 at 12:00 AM, LostLamb said:

I was told it’s worth it to get the MOC done...I probably will since it’s relatively inexpensive and there will be plenty more expenses upcoming next year so getting any MOC done now for cheaper price (aka free) is worth it. Plus it’ll be one less thing to worry about for the first few years. 

Completely unscientific poll shows people are 50-50 on this. 

I signed up the year I passed my exam. I still had a fellowship year to go. I ended up banking a sweet 100 hours of MOC credits just for doing the fellowship. 

The membership was super cheap. You just apply for a fee reduction because you are a fellow. 

14 hours ago, NLengr said:

I signed up the year I passed my exam. I still had a fellowship year to go. I ended up banking a sweet 100 hours of MOC credits just for doing the fellowship. 

The membership was super cheap. You just apply for a fee reduction because you are a fellow. 

Thanks for the info. 

Im in a RC subspecialty program (yay, more money to pay for exams), and learned yesterday that  the studying for that exam will net me tons of credits so all in all sounds worth it. Paperwork is in!